Torn on which 30 cal bullets

Huntnful

My 300 NMI should be getting finished up pretty quick. I'm going back and forth on what bullets. I live in CA, so I need a mono bullet load for at least our rifle season. I shot the 169 hammers bullets at 3300fps all of last year out of a 28 Nosler and they did excellent on 3 bucks and 2 bull elk. I hunt all over the west, and I've also killed a pile of stuff with the Bergers. I really like both bullets. I could shoot Bergers in every other state (so far..). Here's some options to consider...

Option 1- Shoot 181 Hammers out of the rifle full time
Option 2- Develop a load for the hammers to have ready when needed for CA rifle season, but shoot Bergers everywhere else.
Option 3- Buy another rifle system for the 181 hammers and leave the 300 NMI set up for 230 Bergers. $6k convenience lol.

Here's an estimated ballistics chart comparing the two bullets and predicted speed for fun.

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.39.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Looking at the charts I would just stick with the Hammers I also shoot both so I am not prejudice one way or the other and you know the mono would be better if a closer shot happened, this is if they shoot well in your new rifle

Last edited:
Looking at the charts I would just stick with the Hammers I also shoot both so I am not prejudice one way or the other and you know the mono would be better if a closer shot happened, this is if they shoot well in your new rifle
Thank you for your input! I wanted this rifle to be a true 1000+ yard killing rifle. But if I'm being realistic, I've never shot an animal over 630 in the last 3 years. At 700 yards, the hammer has 100fps faster impact velocity and 12" less drop.

I also am not biased toward either bullet. They both served their purposes extremely well for me. The Berger's never exited, but you don't need an exit necessarily when the animal never makes it more than 10 yards.

Never game tested, but in a 300 prc I had the 199 Hammer shot was as accurate as any Berger or Hornady bullet. This included Berger 205EH, 208 Hybrid and Hornady 212ELDX, 225 ELDM, and 220 ELDX. It put five 199 Hammers in 1.3MOA at 1000yds. I'm sure your 300NMI will best that quite easily.

I wouldn't discount the extra 500ftlbs of energy and almost 3/4 of minute less drift at 1k of the 230.....I vote option3 😁

It would be interesting to see a chart on the 199 hammer might be the best of both worlds, a 300NMI should be able to push pretty fast

What twist barrel do you have?
1-9 twist
It would be interesting to see a chart on the 199 hammer might be the best of both worlds, a 300NMI should be able to push pretty fast
Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 2.18.05 PM.png

I have 199's and looked heavily at them also. They're a good option. But all Hammer does with their heavier bullets in add length to the shank to add the weight. So I strictly look at impact velocities with hammers. Because that shank is penetrating DEEP no matter what.

I know what you mean huntnful. I also live in California and need a lead free bullet here. I'm building a 300 prc so I'm between the 181 hammer, 205 elite Berger and 215 hybrid. I guess just play with yours when you are fire forming brass and see what is the most accurate and work from there. I'm curious to see your results when you get your gun keep us updated please!

I know what you mean huntnful. I also live in California and need a lead free bullet here. I'm building a 300 prc so I'm between the 181 hammer, 205 elite Berger and 215 hybrid. I guess just play with yours when you are fire forming brass and see what is the most accurate and work from there. I'm curious to see your results when you get your gun keep us updated please!
Definitely makes things more difficult. But I was happy with the hammers all last season. I used them out of state also. I won't be able to really test loads while forming. I have to jam a 230 into the lands for forming. So I won't be switching bullets for anything during that process. But I'll be testing bullets once that's done for sure! I'll probably start a thread documenting everything.

I'd maybe look at the new Hornady solid line, it would be interesting to see. I live in CA but don't hunt here...
Yeah I checked those out! I like there terminal design of the hammers though.

We have pretty decent hunting. It's just freaking tough. I've killed some good bucks here. The two outside bucks are from CA public land.

8DA08E3B-7556-4B6A-A3CA-1C70BF4057ED.jpeg