Which 30 cal?

Having Oregon mountain rifle replace the barrel on my rem 700. Been looking at 300 prc but can't find brass for it. Should I go with 30 nosler or should I go 300 win mag?
How much recoil can you handle - or in other words - which one would you shoot best. All can reach out and touch - but I would go with the one you think you can shoot the best. Also - 300 Win Mag easier to find ammo for, etc.

.300 H&H never let me down at any distance within my capabilities...but it's not the cool new kid on the block, so nevermind.
I have one of them too. My first one was stolen from a friend of mine a great many years ago. It was my second rifle, and the first that got me into reloading at age 14. I got and old Rem in a 26" barrel. Kill my first deer with the 300 H & H Mag.

For me the choice is tool or toy. I love rifles and trying new calibers is a lot of fun. If I can't find components for awhile, no big deal. Plenty of other options in the safe until I can. But for go to rifles, especially when traveling and my ammo in my checked bag might not arrive with the gun case... This happened to me in Namibia in 2014...I go with calibers likely to be obtained in camps and small towns around the world. Among those you mentioned. 300 win mag wins the tool caliber contest hands down. Beat only slightly in availability category by the good old 30-06. Have fun with your new rifle and reply back with what caliber you choose!

300WM for the simple reason you can find off the shelf ammo easily if needed. If looking for something different I would go 30 Sherman. Can always get brass and reamer if necessary from elkaholic. Doesn't Sherman have readers to rent or do you no longer do that?

What was the original caliber? If you don't go back to the same cartridge, you might have to get a new magazine box, bolt, and you might have to modify the feed rails. I sounds like you have a long action. If it's a 30-06 bolt face and you want more oomph, I'd go for the .30 Gibbs. You get velocities approaching the short mags and you have the advantage of having one more cartridge in the magazine. I really like mine. If you have a mag bolt face, you have several choices. I like my .300 RUM, but you will have to get a new mag box and will have to alter the feed rails. and if you get a get a Wyatte box, you can seat your bullets out further and get even higher velocities. With any of the "wide" bodies you will need a new mag box. If you don't want to change the magazine, I'd go with either the Winchester or Weatherby Magnum.

Having Oregon mountain rifle replace the barrel on my rem 700. Been looking at 300 prc but can't find brass for it. Should I go with 30 nosler or should I go 300 win mag?
Depends on how far you shoot stuff. I'm a 300RUM fan. Have bunch. Even a Surgeon. They can burn barrels if you shoot PRC/FC/ etc. but as a hunting round, pretty hard to beat. Will last many years. I'm building a 300prc right now because its a bit more efficient. Its not faster or better than the RUM. I just want one cause I can. Having said that, either of your choices are good. Id lean to the Win mag. Its like the 308. There are components everywhere for the 300WM.

308 Norma Mag, IMO a step ahead of 300 WM, if you want bigger go with the PRC. I've had several 300 wm, 300 WBY, 308 Normas, and a 308 Norma improved beltless that I made up a few years ago, Kinda like a tad bit smaller PRC. 308 Normas have always been good shooters.

My next 30 is going to be a PRC, only because my wildcat is close to that and life would be easier with a factory cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.