Which 33 Cal

Switchback2

Guys I am wanting a 33 Cal of some type, Not really sure why I just have a itch for a 33 cal in something. I have pretty much everything else covered from 28 Nosler down to 6.5 CM and ALOT in between.
Just wanting something to Hunt with some and maybe alittle Steel shooting here and there.

There is a couple I keep coming back to, the 33 Sherman Short and 33 Nosler, for some reason I been thinking about a short action build. But nothing is wrote in stone there. I did have and Sold a 338 Edge which I should have my *** kicked for selling.
Just wanting some input and open to any ideas.

Thanks for any help and ideas

Last edited:
Always a difficult decision.

If you are at all recoil sensitive go with the Sherman Short Mag.

If you are not recoil sensitive then the sky is the limit.

338/300 WSM
338 Winchester
33 Nosler or 338/28-Nosler (a little more capacity)
338 RUM
338 Edge
338-378

or even something in between the Nosler and WSM or SSM.

If a short action is a major factor that field is narrowed down to the SSM or WSM. Factoring in the short action, I would go with the 338 SSM.

As was said the short action would limit quite a bit. I would look at the Sherman.

Parent case that we have been playing with that is very nice is the 300 Norma mag case. We did an improved version in 30cal with super results and intend to use this case from .375 down to 6.5mm. The 30 that we did was matching very close to rum performance with 10g less powder and significantly shorter making it very nice in a long action and mag feeding. This case needs the Lapua bolt face. My analogy of the improved case is it looks like a wsm on steroids.

We have reamers for several calibers based on the 338 Lapua imp case but I am pretty excited about this Norma case. The shorter length than the Lapua makes it very nice. Not quite as much performance but still on that upper end.

When it comes to straight up performance the 338 Lap imp is the way to go on a long action.

Steve

Always a difficult decision.

If a short action is a major factor that field is narrowed down to the SSM or WSM. Factoring in the short action, I would go with the 338 SSM.

"OR" A 338 RCM. I built my self one on a Model 673 rem and really like it.

Loaded with 200 grain bullets @ 2900 ft/sec it is a powerful little cartridge. loaded down it is very pleasant to shoot. the 180 grain bullets can be pushed over 3000 ft/sec.

Ammo and brass is available from Hornady and also dies.

Just another choice

J E CUSTOM

Not to stir the pot, but a .338 really does shine with larger projectiles and a bit more powder behind em. I wouldn't talk anyone out of a short action, especially the 338sherman short if that's the itch they wanted to scratch, but I personally see a 338 starting around the 340 WBY ( I am biased towards this one) and going up from there all on a long action to stretch its legs a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.