Which cal? 300, -338

isu600rr

I know this has been asked over time, but I'm sending my action out to be re-barreled. I'm interested in. The 300wm, 300rum an the 338rum, problem is I keep hearing how hard it is to find brass for the Rums, which the 338rum is my first choice. . What r all of ur thoughts on which to get, I'll be reloading, punching paper at distance an possibly elk etc.....

ive got the 300WM pushing 215's and a 338 rum pushing 300's. I find that the 300 is much more pleasurable to shoot, however, performance wise, there's no question the 300 grain bullets buck the wind so much better. MUCH more energy to boot for the elk.

ive got the 300WM pushing 215's and a 338 rum pushing 300's. I find that the 300 is much more pleasurable to shoot, however, performance wise, there's no question the 300 grain bullets buck the wind so much better. MUCH more energy to boot for the elk.

Funny. I also have a 300wm shooting 215's and a 338rum shooting 300's. These are my thoughts as well.

I shoot Nosler brass and have no problem finding it for the 338rum. on the other hand, 300rum brass is hard to find.

Good luck. No wrong choice.

You may just want to order about 300 rounds of Brass. 300 X 5 loadings = 1500 shots = Barrel Accuracy Life. I would want the brass on the shelf then order the barrel to match and go from there. It is a hard decision and no fun to start a rifle that when it is finished, You can't find Brass, Bullets, Primers or Powder to make it go bang. Good Luck in your build and Happy Shooting.

You may just want to order about 300 rounds of Brass. 300 X 5 loadings = 1500 shots = Barrel Accuracy Life. I would want the brass on the shelf then order the barrel to match and go from there. It is a hard decision and no fun to start a rifle that when it is finished, You can't find Brass, Bullets, Primers or Powder to make it go bang. Good Luck in your build and Happy Shooting.

Solid advice.

Solid advice. I went from .300 RUM, .300 Lapua, to a .300 WM simply because brass can be had so much easier. I have one . 300 RUM left to get rid of.

I'm curious how the availability of 30 Nosler brass works out over the next year. I think that's going to be a perfect spit between the WM and the RUM.

If Nosler makes brass for it you should be able to find the brass (or buy loaded ammo for about the same price as the bare brass). Though expensive, it is top quality brass with zero loss to defects and 1 grain weight spread. Yesterday I saw stacks of RUM Nosler ammo at my local Sportsmans.

As to chambering. If you really want to kill stuff at long range go with the 338 RUM and do put a serious slab style 4 port brake on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.