Which 30 cal?

Theres a great article about this very dilemma on Rokslide.

I was going through this as well last year. Not sure why the 300 PRC is so great when its just a redesigned, better advertised 300wm. The whole belt debacle i think it largely overplayed. The 30 Nosler has identical case capacity as the 300 Weatherby with much better brass options and a more efficient powder column. With a longer throat for big bullets you can get ballistics close to a RUM and burn 20 grains of powder less per shot. Though all 3 you're comparing are relatively close and will equate to spinning a turret a few more or less clicks at distance.
My 30 Nosler that was just finished is pushing a 225 ELD-M at 2875 with a low pressure load and a new barrel and thats creating 4100ft/lbs at the muzzle.
Is yours saami spec?

Don't get me wrong I am a Lapua brass fan but I am ADG also, but I'm gonna support a U.S.A company first if I consider there brass good which I do with ADG

Having Oregon mountain rifle replace the barrel on my rem 700. Been looking at 300 prc but can't find brass for it. Should I go with 30 nosler or should I go 300 win mag?

If I could do it all over again, I would go with a 300 Ackley, it is a 300 H&H blown out to 40 deg shoulder. There are several versions of this now days, some are based upon the 8mm Rem Mag / 7mm STW case.

When I did my m700 re-barrell in '84, I went with the 300 WBY with a 27.5" bbl.

Have fun.

Is the 300 RUM an option? Between 30 nosler and 30 rum I'd choose the rum. The 30 nosler doesn't have all that much more than the win mag. And since I'm a whipper snapper (relatively young guy) I don't like belted cases. I love the 28 nosler, but for 30 caliber I really like the RUM. Everything a 30 nosler does, RUM can do better, other than being able to fit in a shorter mag well.

if rum isn't an option, I'd go PRC. It's basically a beltless win mag. When you get into the heavies I've heard that the win mag slightly beats the PRC anyways, but not by much. So if you shoot 230gr or heavier, win mag. 180-225 I'd go PRC. Brass will be available soon enough, we have to remember it's a fairly new round.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts