When is enough, enough.....

Find free time is on short supply. I like to upgrade items that allow me to do things faster, more precise, and with better consistency. That means almost everything that comes in a general reloading kit is out. For example, I have an RCBS charge master which saves me time by pouring powder while I seat bullets. I almost bought an FX120i because it reads so much faster and more accurate. I would classify that unit as enough is enough... if I can't spend money on components, then I spend on equipment :)

Hello everyone,
Long time listener, first time caller.
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

Thinking I should have taken the blue pill...
Don't stop now. Sounds like you are on the right track towards excellence.

31 years and more calibers than I can remember and I have'nt found the wall yet. Problem is, technology, trends, and advancements in the products and tools keeps changing. Methods I used as a teenager just starting and learning are'nt even used today.

Well, I guess I have to say I have the equipment bug as well. I started with a Hornady basic Lock&Load press kit, then it hit. There was a nice item I should get to help, oh, bought a new rifled, more dies, then more equipment to upgrade reloading gear, accessories of all sorts and as time rolls on more and better items to help. Wow! another hot new rifle round out, buy the gun, more dies. Just never ends until you hear the noise of creaking and overload from your poor safe. Then it's time for another one. If you're lucky you have room for it, if not well, that's going to require some adjustment to make room. It's a great hobby and you can always find ways to improve what you do, plus new reload manuals, articles in magazines (Handloader is good one, Hodgon reloading's annual issue another), so much to do and so little time!!!

Hello everyone,
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

If you're loading factory rifles, the tools you list should let you maximize their accuracy. My rifles are all blueprinted Remington 700s with high-end (Lilja, Krieger, etc.) barrels, Jewell triggers, and what not. They shoot 1/4-1/2 MOA. I weigh my powders down to the individual kernel. But I don't worry about concentricity, turn necks, weigh brass or bullets, or do most of the other things that get you inside 1/4 MOA. If you want that sort of accuracy, have a good gunsmith blueprint/bed/float your rifles, and make sure you have good 2-3 pound triggers. Then worry about high-precision reloading. Otherwise, trim your brass to a consistent length, weigh your powder carefully, and use the ladder procedure to develop loads. That much should get you well under one MOA with any decent factory rifle.

It never stops!! Even with my factory original rifles, I'm always looking for an improvement, however slight. The satisfaction comes when you use what you made in the field and your load performs exactly as you planned. Great strides have been made in premium bullets - our choices have increased substantially over the past 25 years and new offerings are still coming out. Although we still use variations of military powders from generations ago, some newer powders can reduce fouling from copper and powder residue. Several of my rifles now sport scopes with 30 MM tubes to help with my aging eyes. They replaced fine for their era 1" tube Zeiss and Leupolds scopes. Hunting clothes are now warmer, lighter, and more snow and rain resistant. And when working in Alaska, I learned that Danner makes a special boot that kept my toes toasty in temps down to 55 below, something my hunting Danner's would never do.

I agree, I think its better money spent on a good barrel than an equal amount in reloading equipment.

Hello everyone,

"More is Better"
:cool:

As long as somebody keeps coming up with a piece of equipment that makes a reloading process easier or more precise then probably the urge will continue. My latest "urge" is the result of arthritic hands and my Lee hand primer. I can't prime 300 cases at a time like I used to, so I'm ordering a RCBS bench primer. Sometimes I can blame it on necessity.

so much to do and so little time!!!
Ain't that the truth !!! At around fifty I got to thinking the more stuff-cars, home sq. footage, landscaping, boats, golf carts etc. etc. the more I had to keep up with. So I adjusted my thinking to less is better and I've applied that to everything...EXCEPT... reloading. One has to have at least one of everything well at least I do. So I say enjoy.

LOL….I started as a teenager with a Lee Loader($3 used), and a plastic hammer for my well worn Model 70 30-06. I was elated with the 1" groups and lower cost. Starting out as a deer hunter/casual targets, 50 years later, dozens of rifles, shotguns, handguns different, competition, LRH, and a wide variety of game hunting over the years, I could probably buy a good used truck with value of all the reloading equipment/components I've accumulated……Having just turned 70, I see no end in sight!

Attachments

• BB841568-059F-4AC2-9A92-4BAF65B127A4.jpeg
    BB841568-059F-4AC2-9A92-4BAF65B127A4.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 42
Hello everyone,

You stop when YOU want to stop. Most reloaders can load accurate enough ammo to hit a pie plate at 600 yards at minimal expense. If you want to hit it at 1000 or more, then you may need to up your game. The sky's the limit if you want to go all in. I am a firm believer in shooting game animals ONLY within your range of capability. Wounded animals make for bad memories.....

Firearms and every thing related.' Is an addiction.
Its never enough, It's an addiction.
Always another build or another reloading tool, more powder, more primers, more brass. It never ends.
Reloading is just another drug.

I've decided to not buy another firearm without letting one go first. For reloading, I won't buy more tools unless something breaks and needs replacement. Components are consumables so you can't get away from those.

I don't know if I'll stay true to that plan, but it's worked so far . I feel I have enough but talk the talk is cheap.
When you are ready, walk the walk.

Hello everyone,

I don't no if there's one by the time you get all you think you need it's old and out dated and the you start over good luck