When is enough, enough.....

You don't ever reach the end of the rainbow. This whole thing is just barbie dolls for people with testicles. If you don't want to play barbie then you don't spend on things that take more time, you spend on things that save time: Quality components, quality knowledge, quality tools, quality training.

I built my guns each for a purpose, originally. Each was meant to cover a distance envelope. After a while the notion hit me that what was limiting me was not my reloading equipment, reloading skill or reloading components but my factory barrels and me taking internet advice about things like jump distance which got me always into the weeds. When I stopped even bothering with factory rifle barrels then everything changed. Reloading with factory barrels was always a frustration but when I went to aftermarket barrels and eventually to custom reamers for those then the amount of effort needed to get bughole performance collapsed. Nowadays I use a pretty simple set of strategies.

I use BoxToBenchPrecision.com's load development targets which helped a lot staying out of the weeds. I set up my guns with barrel nuts so I can dial in zero headspace. I select chamberings with really straight body walls and relatively sharp shoulders to combine with the zero headspace and minimize brass growth. I use tight chambers to help with minimizing brass growth. I select powders/bullets/cases/primers before I even buy a barrel. I pick my powders by what delivers the velocity I want without huge pressures and which will fill the case to 90% or more (including bullet intrusion). Once I've found a load that delivers the groups and SD's that I want I don't futz around trying to do better. It usually takes me something around 15-25 rounds to find a load. I also don't continually reset variables so I do things like not deep cleaning my barrel almost ever. On gun setup I bed everything so the rifle rings like a bell when I cycle the action and with very few exceptions I don't buy parts for it that it doesn't need for what I'm doing. Overcomplicating things is what I see as the falling down point for most people in the long range game.

I thought I had everything I needed, but NO. Last week I purchased an A&D scale. Said to myself "got everything I need". This week I am now trying to talk myself out of purchasing an AMP annealer. So, not sure it ever ends. Good luck
Well okay you got me lol. I'd like an annealer also. I don't know if I going to make one or go the salt method.

Hello everyone,
Long time listener, first time caller.
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

Thinking I should have taken the blue pill...
The rabbit hole is deep brother. As far as I know bottomless. Seems the more you know, the further you want to shoot. The further you want to shoot, the more you want and need to learn. Paradox? No, just a great hobby. Its only money anyway....

Hello everyone,
Long time listener, first time caller.
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

Thinking I should have taken the blue pill...
As others have already stated, I'll let you know.

Seriously tho. IMHO, when you are satisfied with your results and the performance meets YOUR GOALS. I have always hunted in So TX, so my longest shot at critters was 200 yards and this was not really hunting, was more harvesting.

So MOA accuracy was very acceptable though I generally achieved sub MOA.
For our rifles for culling and head shots, 243 / 6mm and 22-250's were the norm and those needed .5 moa or better, again <200 yds.

I have also set up some LR rifles and those began to get "special" treatment. fancy dies / presses and related equipment. You can always upgrade should the need be there, but if you meet your goals, then you are there. The rabbit hole is bottomless my friend.

Good luck with your shooting.
TxPhred

Well okay you got me lol. I'd like an annealer also. I don't know if I going to make one or go the salt method.
I am doing the salt bath method now, but saw an AMP being used a couple of weeks ago. It is quick with no setup after the initial calibration and safer than having a molten bowl of liquid with the potential for a very bad accident.

I am doing the salt bath method now, but saw an AMP being used a couple of weeks ago. It is quick with no setup after the initial calibration and safer than having a molten bowl of liquid with the potential for a very bad accident.
Yeah the salt method seems to be a cost effective way to consistently anneal. But it is dangerous.

Where do you draw the line
When it stops showing up on the target, or it gets in the way of actually shooting. Loading is a means to an end, and the end is shooting, so if loading interferes with the real goal it has become a problem.

I have no problem with very complex sets of multiple variables, going down rabbit holes, chasing speed or distance or groups, or whatever the goal of your particular shooting that day is. But you have to start with a shooting goal and work backwards from there.

In one range session I might do a crush test on primers in a 6mm chasing the smallest group, and at the same time be shooting a suppressed hunting rifle that couldn't do better than 2" at 200 yards if a pixie rubbed magic unicorn crap on it, and be perfectly happy with each because they're hitting the goals I need them to.

Another part is being open with your goals in talking to other people about loading. Half the arguments here are because the two people arguing are chasing different goals. One person says "benchresters are doing this and they shoot wings off flies at 10,000 yards" and the other person says "that's nice I backback hunt Siberia for 19 months at a time ands have to be able to reload hand-cast lead bullets with an in-line seating die and a large rock" and the original posted just wanted to know if they can seat their 30-06 to mag length and still kill a whitetail at 100 yards. Meet the people you're talking with where they are - I try to not project my goals over theirs because otherwise what I say is just self-serving.

Thanks all for your 2 cents. The rifle I'm putting my resources into is one I inherited from my Dad. My mother gave it to him in 1975 as a 25th wedding ann. Gift so he could hunt Canada/Alaska...its a 7mm Rem mag BDL. Before he passed and on the last hunt together he slipped with it and I believe he got snow in the barrel and bulged the barrel tip and never knew it. I replaced the barrel through a smith who accurizes Rems., found a new factory barrel. While I was at it had it floated, bedded, bolt face trued.....the easy stuff. It now is capable of more than my skills can get out of it..currently. All of my hunting firearms were gifts from him and for now want to get the most out of them I can before stepping up. I fear I'm doomed to forever hunting with the same 270 and 7mm forever...I simply can't leave these guns at home and hunt without taking a piece of my old man with me in the field.

Living and hunting in South Dakota has taught me the meaning of long distance lol....I would be very happy to be able to consistently hit an orange (or cantelope) out to 500 yds. Looking forward to your posts.

Thanks all for your 2 cents. The rifle I'm putting my resources into is one I inherited from my Dad. My mother gave it to him in 1975 as a 25th wedding ann. Gift so he could hunt Canada/Alaska...its a 7mm Rem mag BDL. Before he passed and on the last hunt together he slipped with it and I believe he got snow in the barrel and bulged the barrel tip and never knew it. I replaced the barrel through a smith who accurizes Rems., found a new factory barrel. While I was at it had it floated, bedded, bolt face trued.....the easy stuff. It now is capable of more than my skills can get out of it..currently. All of my hunting firearms were gifts from him and for now want to get the most out of them I can before stepping up. I fear I'm doomed to forever hunting with the same 270 and 7mm forever...I simply can't leave these guns at home and hunt without taking a piece of my old man with me in the field.

Living and hunting in South Dakota has taught me the meaning of long distance lol....I would be very happy to be able to consistently hit an orange (or cantelope) out to 500 yds. Looking forward to your posts.
Nothing wrong with either of those two cartridges. They have killed a pile of animals. I say hunt with them since it appears you feel connected to your dad when you have them in hand. Good luck and happy hunting.

I suspect more people have quietly said "enough" like myself...in 2020 I dropped from 7 calibers down to 2.

WHAT A RELIEF NOT HAVING TO FIND/FIGHT FOR COMPONENTS!

These 2 calibers like certain powders/bullets per caliber, so that's what I stock. I have since added 1 rifle/caliber that took me 6 months to find.

From a 223 to 6.5CM, I am deadly to any PA animal there is. (Deadly even to the elk here in PA.)

One has to (or should) match his weaponry to his intented use... AND...not buy the next shiny caliber that hits the market. OMG...guys still use the 30-30 to hunt deer...how do they ever manage w/o using a 7mmMag/300 Win Mag, etc!?

Question is...how many "safe queens" are you storing/feeding for not?
True enough...the pandemic and rioting have spurred near-panic buying plus stressed the supply chain....add to that the fear of what the Biteme administration may due. Makes my shoot more, shoot more often goal very difficult.

For me, it's all about working to control the variables and spending your money in the right places. Many variables can be addressed with better equipment, but I have found most of my gains have come from process improvements and more thorough documentation.
Good one, I suspect I will see the same...plus shooting more and working on the human element