How good is good enough?

If I had to SWAG it...Lots of spare time, and LOTS of money... Something of which, I have neither.

LOL,
I don't have much free time, but my job allows me to investigate a lot of stuff on line and I have a bunch of friends that are VERY high level shooters (much better than me) and most of my abilities come from knowledge and the discussion about reloading and the whole shooting process. So when I get to the range I am as sure as possible that I have limited as much of the variables as possible.
Equipment is another big deal. Full custom rifles made with my reamers that I ordered to the specs that I wanted and top notch glass makes a huge deal and I am usually shooting off my SEB MAX for group. I shoot very well off my bipods but can't shoot them nearly as fast as my bench setup.

I know this is a Long Range Forum where pinpoint accuracy is key, but for the I will use the term "average" shooter / hunter with the brand X off shelf factory or semi custom rifle. In terms of accuracy, how good is good enough? 3 shot groups @ 100.

I have most my rifles tuned pretty good but cant resist trying to make them better, different powder/ bullets/ col, etc... and usually just get frustrated and burn up lots of powder.

So, generally speaking, in your opinions, what do you all consider a keeper or a get rid of it hunting rifle.

Wel do you quit tweeking and start shooting?
General hunting / varmits and paper punching out to 500 yrds?

Thanks
MB
mrbofus,
Most rifles and loads are more than capable of getting the job done. What you rarely hear discussed is IF the shooter is capable enough for the rifle. That only comes from good practice, working on wind reading skills, physical condition ETC. Just going out on calm days and shooting a rifle off a rest or bipod from the bench is only a small part of the equation. You've pushed the gear. Now we have to push ourselves. That's the hard part that pays even bigger dividends in the end. Just my 2 cents.

mrbofus,
Most rifles and loads are more than capable of getting the job done. What you rarely hear discussed is IF the shooter is capable enough for the rifle. That only comes from good practice, working on wind reading skills, physical condition ETC. Just going out on calm days and shooting a rifle off a rest or bipod from the bench is only a small part of the equation. You've pushed the gear. Now we have to push ourselves. That's the hard part that pays even bigger dividends in the end. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the input. I realize there are many factors involved. Rifle and shooter.
Right or wrong I measure my 3 shoot groups on a circle of outside edge of bullet holes. I typically will be happy if those 3 bullets are with in a 1" circle.
I do load development shoot from a bench with bi-pod. When I find "the load" I will switch to shooting in hunting situations, prone or sitting and work on consistancy.
Most My rifles shoot better than I, one time I get a nice cloverleaf then a 2" circle. Me..... or the equipment......? or the morning coffee on the way to the range?
As I stated I am not shooting 1000 yrds, and rarely 500. More likely 100-300 so would consider that 3-5 shot in a 3-4" circle at 300 acceptable? Generally speaking?

Thanks again for the input and I realize these are opinions and that is what for.

I used to have a guaranteed 2moa rifle. Knowing it would hit within 4" of my aiming point at 400, I took a shot at an elk. I was laying on a berm so the rifle was a steady as at the bench. The elk took the shot through the top of the heart.

After this I installed a barrel weight like the BOSS and dialed it to under 2" at 300 yards with that load. But the 2moa worked.

morning, u and many others.

i shoot for practice, practice practice. when the moment, the serious nut cutting. All of our fancy guns your and mine will b useless.

we will analyze, adopt, and overcome. the practice makes us much better. Thats the joy of handloading, practice and hunting.

we r handloaders, shooters and hunters. can not get any better!!lightbulb

T U M just country

Usually I find my accuracy requirements in 2 questions:

1- How big is the "kill zone" of the smallest target the rifle will be used for.
2- What's the farthest distance I will be consistently shooting at that "kill zone."

Then figure out what that is in MOA and there's the MOA requirement for that rifle's accuracy. The rest of your resources can then go towards your own personal ability. Like has been mentioned before... wind reading, technique etc...

Usually I find my accuracy requirements in 2 questions:

1- How big is the "kill zone" of the smallest target the rifle will be used for.
2- What's the farthest distance I will be consistently shooting at that "kill zone."

Then figure out what that is in MOA and there's the MOA requirement for that rifle's accuracy. The rest of your resources can then go towards your own personal ability. Like has been mentioned before... wind reading, technique etc...
That's a very nice, clear way to put it.

When you can hit what you are aiming at with the money you have available to spend on equipment. That is what determines my good enough and effective range. :D

Yes .150 center too center @ 100 yards. Go to the super shoot and if you shoot a .1 your out as most people are in the .0@#$ center to center. if your shooting a 30 cal that means your groups would measure .458 across.

Real early morning or late evening when the wind dies down you can test @ 1000 and get some impressive groups. (this is nothing like competition) you can chose when you shoot and shoot a fast 5 shots with optimal conditions something you can't do for record at any match.

well most people don't hunt with short or long range benchrest rifles, A light 1000 yrd gun weighs 17.5 lbs.

shooting in the ones and twos at 100 yds is impressive with any gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.