Is the rcbs chargemaster lite good enough?

This is a long range hunting forum. LONG RANGE. We DO NEED better than +-.1 grain. I have had great luck with mine staying much tighter than that but there is no way I would trust not checking it against something better which makes it worthless to me by itself. What if one of the charges it throws that happens to be off .3 grains, you know the one that causes that flyer 5inches high and right at 1k, happens to be shot at an animal??? I do load development for wide nodes but expecting tight vertical at 800,900,1000 yards with up to .2 tenths of a grain variance does not make sense and is not likely going to happen. This statement is exactly why I can no longer relate to a majority of this forums members. Saying it does not matter when shooting game at LONG RANGE is not ok with me. It is what gives long range hunting a bad name.
He was replying to my needs of 500 yards and in and .5 to 1.0 moa accuracy. No need to be rude.

Last edited:
Is the rcbs chargemaster lite accurate enough to produce ammo capable of .5 - 1.0 MOA loads assuming the rifle and shooter can do it? I hunt out to 500 yards so I don't need 1/4 MOA loads but I do like to get below 1MOA if not as close to .5moa as possible. I'm getting tired of measuring charges on my scales by hand so I'm looking for a trickling type scale which won't break the bank. If the chargemaster lite won't do it, I'll just keep throwing charges by hand.
I was raised Old School & continue the old school. I have a smartphone but it's not smart enough to measure my powder loads, I still use my Grandfathers rcbs tilt scale. Its quick & precise & requires nothing from the grid

Is the rcbs chargemaster lite accurate enough to produce ammo capable of .5 - 1.0 MOA loads assuming the rifle and shooter can do it?

It really is a simple question, that only requires a simple answer.

Also, you don't need to cut kernels to acheive single digit ES and SD. In a cartridge that has sufficient energy at 1000 to kill game, .1 gr is less than .2% error. Lets assume you load 70 gr of H1000 averaging .05 gr per kernel, that is literally 2 kernels out of 1400. You would be worse off not annealing.

Whatever you use for powder dispensing, whatever your methods have, whatever the equipment it is you use, whatever it takes to get it there, if your getting 1 to .5 moa that's all that matters imo.
1 moa or .5 moa at 100yrs should equate to 1 moa or .5 moa at 1000yrds.

The question is do you have the capacity to be able to shoot at an animal at that distance with the rifle set up you have & the right technique?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.