How Good Is Your Scale

Gen2.

$5500

I really notice it on my smaller stuff. .20-223AI and smaller, it becomes VERY noticeable. I can notice it on my BR, BRA, and Dasher stuff too... but it's not nearly as pronounced. I absolutely refuse to load for my small stuff on the V4. However, by the time I get up into 45'ish grains of powder or more, that 2-5 kernel difference between the Prometheus and the Autotrickler V4 becomes less and less pronounced on target. Aggregate performance on a large number of rounds is required to see it. It's there, but subtle.

Suffice it to say the speed and repeatability of the Prometheus is without rival.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I kind of figure that maybe.

There are several Calibration weight classes. Use the one that is accurate for the weighing you do. You don't need a calibration weight tied to the reference weight standard held at NBS in Washington.
In practical reloading, weigh the individual kernels of the powders you use. You do not need a balance that can resolve less than the heaviest kernal you use. Unless you are in the business of cutting kernels into smaller pieces. If your powder is made up of varying weights of kernels take the average weight.
All precision weights should be ataken under a draft shield in a vibration free area.
DO NOT drop a weight on an electronic balance or move it from side to side or tip upside down. Any of that can damage the strain guage.
The Ohaus check weight set in my pic would serve 99.99% of reloaders. The 50g. weight in the blue box is tied to the standards weight in Washington and only handled with a cotton glove on. The 100g weight is a lower class certified weight.

Attachments

• IMG_3749.JPG
    IMG_3749.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3752.JPG
    IMG_3752.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 43
I don't reload to the level a lot of Ya'll do and I use a beam scale. I do have a set of calibration weights that were verified on the lab scales at the chemical plant I worked at. I will check my scale from time to time with 40-50 grains of weights to verify it's accuracy. When I start loading, I will zero the scale with the check weights as near to the charge weight as I can. I use an Ohaus made RCBS 505 three poise scale I bought in the 80's. Some folks don't like the three poise system, but this one repeats better than the Lyman M5 I have.