How long is H1000 good for.

DSMITH1651

I have 5 pounds of H1000 stored in a cooler in my basement along with primers and bullets. I haven't had the time to reload so I have just been buying ammo but now I want to get back into it but I am unsure if the power is good still.
Thanks guys

the sandlot GIF

That said, gunpowder is hygroscopic. Like counting tics on time fuse, burn rate can be affected. I personally think sitting power is more consistent through and through then fresh powder mixed with old powder. Splitting hairs of course.
That was the case, almost all double base powder is not hygroscopic and hasn't been for some time. Some single base isn't either, do a research check on this, newer manufacturing is making powder almost water proof…

Cheers.

That was the case, almost all double base powder is not hygroscopic and hasn't been for some time. Some single base isn't either, do a research check on this, newer manufacturing is making powder almost water proof…

Cheers.
It's still hygroscopic. Again, not saying the powder is bad. Just the burn rate is affected.

Look into competitors drying power. It's a thing. Maybe not a huge thing, but it's a thing.

If not, here's some examples within the thread. There was some other data points that one of the F class guys did as well, but that thread got washed away when they updated the hide.

Last edited:
It's still hygroscopic. Again, not saying the powder is bad. Just the burn rate is affected.

Look into competitors drying power. It's a thing. Maybe not a thing not an huge thing, but it's a thing.

If not, here's some examples within the thread. There was some other data points that one of the F class guys did as well, but that thread got washed away when they updated the hide.

I shoot F-class, we looked into this and it is NOT water or moisture that is being dried, it is the solvents, which are virtually 100% Ether…
I also worked at the plant (ADI) making the Extreme line of powders and, when they are 'drying' the powder, it is also the solvent, per weight, in each kernel they are removing, so no, it isn't hygroscopic like it used to be back in the DuPont and IMR days, the additives have evolved.

Cheers.

Who doesn't shoot enough to let powder sit for years??? I have a hard time keeping most powders for over 2 years.
Me, but the rate will hopefully increase as the kids get older. Leaving the wife, my primary shooting partner, at home with the babies would be bad for my happiness.
Also need daycare behind me to get the gun and fish budget back.