When is enough, enough.....

Hello everyone,
Long time listener, first time caller.
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

Thinking I should have taken the blue pill...
Thank you very much!!! I am having the same challenges.

I started with a single stage press and a beam scale, I've had all the latest and greatest and spent a small fortune and 35 years later i'm almost exactly where I started
Bean is 100000% dead right on this one! The novelty is hard to resist at first. The want is much stronger than the need and it drives you down the path. You will hit a point where you will look around and realize your not using a tenth of the "wants". That point for me was when I taught the Z's how to reload. Teaching them the simplistic basics of reloading and seeing them stack them up at the range I realized all the extra processes I thought were necessary really weren't. Like Bean, I've spent lots on reloading sundries, and now find myself using the basic items I started with.

It seems to really depend on the end goal. I was given my first reloading components when I was a kid. The goal was to make good ammo, cheap. For a while I was running close to 5000 rounds a year in precision rifle. I don't shoot like that anymore, maybe 1500. So the process is about making excellent ammo, price is a bit of a after thought. In the end, enough is a personal decision: is the ammo accurate enough, is the time spent reloading valuable enough, is the process something you enjoy. Personally I like gadgets and tech but I don't have any of either that I don't actually use in the process and see a benefit from. It a rabbit hole of justifications. Good luck

Hello everyone,
Question...where does a guy stop reaching for more stuff to buy, more equipment to try etc ect. I started reloading in an effort to try to create better ammo than the factory **** on the shelves. I consider myself an intermediate reloader who shoots factory rem/win/brn rifles...nothing fancy- certainly not a target or bench guy.
Where do you draw the line for a hunter/plinker? I started out adding a digital scale, then a bullet comparitor to up my odds for improvement. Now I'm waiting on bushing dies, micrometer seater dies, shoulder comparitors and am about to dive into more stuff to measure concentricity....having not fully mastered the bench full of items I currently own!

Where's a decent stopping point for a hunter and casual shooter? I feel like a crack whore jonesing for her next hit.....I can barely find enough components to complete a cartridge let alone think about getting into serious reloading.

This is like asking a guy who is into driving sporty and fast cars, "How fast is enough?" Just ask any drag or race car driver.
Or, asking any serious sports athlete how much training until he is the best?

Seriously, your question is one only YOU can answer, and it depends on YOUR personal needs, desires, abilities, etc. For some, one gun and load and done for life, for others, a handful will suffice. But, for some of us, it is a life-long and never ending quest for improvement in self and equipment, and as products improve or change, we have to try. It is our never ending and very fun hobby and search for the ultimate racing machine.

Perfection is always just one more improvement or part away. YMMV

I think my answer is when you are completely happy and comfortable with the accuracy. And. Effective results in any given rifle! Ex: My go to deer rifle ,in. 270 Win. and the deer load I. Made about 10 Ten years ago is. Just. Perfect for. That. Rifle ! Super. Tight 3 shot grouped , and several one shot kills ! No. More. Experimenting with That set up! No more changing bullets , primers , powder,or load amounts ! That. Rifle and scope. AndLoad are perfectly fine for whitetail deer and that is enough, My target. Guns a. Different story !!!!

I asked a guy from Washington state about digital scales or beam scales.He had a family member that worked at one of the ammunition plants and I think it was Winchester but not sure and he said the plants all use droppers but are checked by digital scales.
I have used beam scales since the late 60's and had a severe problem that ruined a barrel.The beam scale said 56 gr on IMR 4350 but at the shot I knew something was wrong and the rifle did not shoot well after that.I had the barrel replaced due to the over load.
Beam scales requires maintenance and I did not know that.That was 2004 and after that I fixed my problem on the RCBS scale but bought a Pact digital scale and still use it even today.Faster and always accurate as long as you calibrate it.
I have limits on what I can buy and I bet most here do too but the most important things I have up graded over the years.Like most that say they upgraded on dies,I have too,digital scale but use the same RCBS Rock Chucker press.
Get what you can when you can and enjoy the ride on the rabbit hole others have talked about.If I die today I will have enjoyed the ride longer than some has and will leave my rifles to others to enjoy.

Last edited:
I'm with bean as well I have never had anything but a standard rock chucker press and dies. I like making precision ammo you don't need all that fancy stuff its just more of a headace. My quiting point was when I printed groups better than federal match loads. Now this with military pull down 846 powder standard primers sierra match bullets and military brass. I don't do any fancy prep work either, new brass first slight flare, seat then a factory crimp. Spend your money on good bullets first, the rest doesn't really matter I drop powder from a standard rcbs powder dispenser I have no use for a electronic scale too slow for me I use ball powder so I check and refill after a 100 rounds get loaded.

Hello everyone,

There is no cure. As to when? When I'm pushing up daisies.

As stated it depends on what your reloading objectives are. I am just a plain old hunter that shoots game at a self imposed 500 yard limit. Shooting further is fun, but I get bored with it unless I am killing (trying to kill) prairie dogs. I found the reloading tools that meet my accuracy goals along with rifle components (another rabbit hole) and that part is settled for me. My weakness is bullets and terminal performance that meet accuracy goals. It would appear that for now Hammer Bullets have taken the mystery out of that. I have also at one point said that about Sierra HPBT Gamekings, Nosler Partitions, Nosler Accubonds, Swift Scirocco, Barnes TSX,.......It is a great purpose driven hobby and I'm sure it has saved me thousands of dollars on green fees, sports cars, booze, and that list can be as long as I need it to be to justify the next keg of powder and flat of primers ;). It would appear though that you have been bitten, and only time will tell the effects of the venom on you.

It's when you look around and decide that you don't want to die with all this stuff and saddle your survivors with the disposal. Most things go for pennies on the dollar and reloaded ammo is just used components.

When I find the stopping point, I'll let you know.
I agree, I've been "at it" for over 40 years and still find something I "can't live without". You know you're "really anal" when your prep work and reloading becomes the new pastime. I enjoy the process as much as the actual shooting time. Searching for the "mythical, at least in my experience" 1 hole 5 shot group that measures caliber diameter only, can become an obsession. Still, everyone needs a "rat hole" for their "loose change".