Whats your most difficult shooting skill to master?

I really need to work on my offhand shooting, my offhand has gotten progressively worse since I quit shooting service rifle matches and Garand matches about 7 years ago.

When I was going for my distinguished rifleman badge (DRB # 1234 '96) I dry fired every night for 30 minutes against a scaled down black across the living room. And, I trained on the range twice a week during the summer months after work. Shot in matches almost every Sunday. I burned 10K rounds a year. That's what it takes to hone marksmanship skills.

Please get back to it, we need more people to get in or back to the service rifle matches.

Last edited:
The last 10 + years it hasn't been any mentioned before as neck pain causes all of the above and more. I used to shoot with a duplex up to 600 yards, make no optic adjustments on prairie dogs. Hit rounds on the run was pretty good. They are wylie animals! Wind wasn't an issue at that range when you shoot lasers (264wm). Most shots were either just over or under. Now it's more fun to train the kids!

What is the hardest thing for you to master when shooting?

Is it:
Reading wind
Cheek weld/position
Breath control
Trigger control
Sight picture
Or something else?

Let us know what is the bane of your shooting sucess. (Remember, misery loves company 😉).
Positional shooting and mainly anything non-supported is #1.
#2 is wind. Hunting and shooting in the mountains is always a learning event. Often I get it right, as I do intentionally train for wind, but when I miss it, it's back to checking that ego and staying humble.

What is the hardest thing for you to master when shooting?

Is it:
Reading wind
Cheek weld/position
Breath control
Trigger control
Sight picture
Or something else?

Let us know what is the bane of your shooting sucess. (Remember, misery loves company 😉).
Out of those it would have to be reading the wind for me.

The last 10 + years it hasn't been any mentioned before as neck pain causes all of the above and more. I used to shoot with a duplex up to 600 yards, make no optic adjustments on prairie dogs. Hit rounds on the run was pretty good. They are wylie animals! Wind wasn't an issue at that range when you shoot lasers (264wm). Most shots were either just over or under. Now it's more fun to train the kids!
This is a good point that I hadn't considered but is legit. Shooting prone hurts my back and neck something fierce, and I can't do it very long before I stove up.

When I was going for my distinguished rifleman badge (DRB # 1234 '96) I dry fired every night for 30 minutes against a scaled down black across the living room. And, I trained on the range twice a week during the summer months after work. Shot in matches almost every Sunday. I burned 10K rounds a year. That's what it takes to hone marksmanship skills.

Please get back to it, we need more people to get in or back to the service rifle matches.
I did similar practices when I was going for my Master classification, not quite to the amount you did but about half that. I shot in a Garand match last September, was first one in 6 years, it really let me know how much skill I had lost as Garand matches was my favorite competition back when I was at the top of my game.

I have many issues I need to work on. Most of them are due to my shortcomings. I also blame those critters I am hunting. They rarely stand still broadside. Obviously they don't know the challenges I'm facing.

You really need to ask other forum members how they get their animals to stand "stone still", broadside……so "EVERY" shot is perfectly placed!

I can't help you though…..you and I must be hunting the same animals! 😉 me

Mine is, or really should be mine ARE: and they are all about the same level of horrible

My vision is getting worse by the day, so seeing the target and cross hairs is getting very difficult in low light

Ability to hold still, is getting worse. I need a solid bench with good rest and rear bag. Off hand is just not going to happen. I don't do well leaning against a tree or building anymore.

And lastly, while wind is normally not terrible here in ENC, it is always hard to judge.

Seems easier to master all aspects of shooting when you are young. One of our juniors at Perry posted this score on the 3rd day of CMP Cup matches. Frank Green, Bartlein Barrels, donated the blank. I spun the barrel. She got a free barrel, but she made us all proud of her accomplishment.

Shooting 99% standing with 8 Xs (3 inch ring) is beyond outstanding. 797/800 across the course shows mastery of marksmanship fundamentals.

View attachment 481181
Dam fine job! It took me a little time to shoot 97% in standing and a couple of seriously dedicated years to make master then another year to be HM. I am rather jealous.

Similar in my youth. Every night for an hour dry firing at black thumb tacks on a white 3x5 card, but I had my on short range at my country home. So I live practiced 3-5 times a week with HP and small bore. Weekends were matches in some state or several in my own.