Most stable shooting platform?

I have a Henderson 3" arca rail mounted on my stock just in front of the action screw. So it locks in tight.....and the crosshairs don't move at all, until I shoulder the rifle. Unless I have something to rest my right arm/elbow on, it's not steady. If I'm sitting in a chair I can rest my elbow on my knee and it's fine. On a bench I can use a bag or rest the elbow on the bench. It's when I have nothing but me, the tripod and the rifle that things get iffy. Make no mistake, I'm working on it....but until I find that magic position, I'll make sure I have a place to sit.

Yeah. Having a place to support that
Rear elbow helps a lot .

The Henderson ultra lite Arca is a nice setup. Wish he still made them. The pic of my buddies 7mag up top had that Henderson rail as well.

I have a Henderson 3" arca rail mounted on my stock just in front of the action screw. So it locks in tight.....and the crosshairs don't move at all, until I shoulder the rifle. Unless I have something to rest my right arm/elbow on, it's not steady. If I'm sitting in a chair I can rest my elbow on my knee and it's fine. On a bench I can use a bag or rest the elbow on the bench. It's when I have nothing but me, the tripod and the rifle that things get iffy. Make no mistake, I'm working on it....but until I find that magic position, I'll make sure I have a place to sit.
A9277036-A07F-473E-B7A7-E5DBA5F8BA1C.jpeg

You can see my little arca plate mounted just in front of the mag.

How much vertical adjustment can you get with the Anvil?? I'm thinking perhaps my ball head is a bit small for the task. My buddy bought a much bigger ball head from Arca.....and I'm gonna try it. I don't think the play is coming from the tripod.....it's a nice thick tripod, and I wasn't extending it even halfway.

How much vertical adjustment can you get with the Anvil?? I'm thinking perhaps my ball head is a bit small for the task. My buddy bought a much bigger ball head from Arca.....and I'm gonna try it. I don't think the play is coming from the tripod.....it's a nice thick tripod, and I wasn't extending it even halfway.

I'd have to look up the specs on it but you have plenty vertical with the Anvil 30. The leveling bases are nice for glassing, but you don't have nearly the vertical flexibility you get wish the Anvil 30.

Sniper hide, advanced marksmanship, second sticky from the top,Tips and tricks tripods. Lots of good info.Pictures,explanations ,body position, how to set up, I have reviewed it five/six times now.

@Bullmark I had some of the same stabilization issues when i first received my tripod. After doing some research, one of the best ways to learn off the tripod is sitting, with one leg extended out longer than the others, with more offset, and positioned in a manner where your elbow can rest on it. Give that a try and see how it works. Its helped me out a lot!

For me the most stable is a front and rear bag. I do shoot using a bipod and whatever I have handy to substitute for a rear bag as mine recently popped open after 30 years of use. I also use a sling, shooting sticks, and backpack as a rear bag for sitting in tall grass or shrubs. I try to be a minalmist because of packing the extra weight in the field. However I am interested in these new tripods. They look pretty slick especially for shooting rats at distance.

For me the most stable is a front and rear bag. I do shoot using a bipod and whatever I have handy to substitute for a rear bag as mine recently popped open after 30 years of use. I also use a sling, shooting sticks, and backpack as a rear bag for sitting in tall grass or shrubs. I try to be a minalmist because of packing the extra weight in the field. However I am interested in these new tripods. They look pretty slick especially for shooting rats at distance.

Theyre 100% worth the expense. I grabbed the RRS SOAR TVC 24. A lot of PRS guys grab the 33, which is just a larger diameter leg. Being I knew this would be used for mostly hunting, I opted for the smaller leg diameter 24's for weight reasons.

ive had my comp rifle (since sold) which was 24lbs attached to it and I noticed zero stability issues. Here's a pic of it, with the majority of the weight to the rear of the rifle. Steady as a rock.

938134D6-7408-41ED-A57B-2C2C1D7843DE.jpeg

Theyre 100% worth the expense. I grabbed the RRS SOAR TVC 24. A lot of PRS guys grab the 33, which is just a larger diameter leg. Being I knew this would be used for mostly hunting, I opted for the smaller leg diameter 24's for weight reasons.

ive had my comp rifle (since sold) which was 24lbs attached to it and I noticed zero stability issues. Here's a pic of it, with the majority of the weight to the rear of the rifle. Steady as a rock.

View attachment 284490
When did CDA get palm trees? ;)

Well I've been tinkering, reading, and coming **** close to pulling the trigger on a whole new setup....I used to play a lot of golf and when my game was sucking my motto was "throw money at the problem"......but I've wised up a little and didn't give in to the temptation. I did notice that my arca clamp that sits on the ball head was slightly loose....I can't believe I didn't catch it before. So I tightened it, and Viola', it seems steady. Unless I'm caught walking in or out of my hunting area, I'll always be seated when I'm behind the rifle. In that position, I can rest my trigger side elbow on the arm of the chair or my knee......which is pretty solid.
I also played around with the weight hook on the bottom of the center post. I don't wanna carry a 10lb weight everywhere I go, but I did experiment with a string looped around my foot. i push my foot down and the string pulls the tripod tight to the ground.....sounds a little funky but it serves the purpose. I do think I'll be leaving a 10lb plate in all of my blinds. The weight hanging from the apex does seem to add another layer of steadiness.