What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Howdy Y'all! I have been watching the blog and agree with lots of the cartridge choices. I just got back from a weekend and early morning coyote hunts/calling. just a little follow up about the calls I am using .. my 22-250 has been working and hitting like a champ. the calls are starting to work well. the Squirrel bark has been bringing them in as if someone had been ringing a dinner bell. the cotton tail and jack rabbit calls have not been doing so well. however to lure the yotes out from the heavy brush for a clear shot the mouse squeaker has been magical. as always, well recently the 55 grain SX slowed down to minimum velocities has been a pelt hunter's wet dream. Winchester cases, 36 grains of Win 760, 55 grain Hornady SX slugs and Winchester primers or CCI primers have been my recipe for shooting coyotes this year after some experimentation this spring. My 17 Rem with 30 grain Berger slugs has been another wet dream for pelt hunters. my friend's 6 MM middlestead, 6 MM XC, 257-7MM WSM and 257 STW have been lighting up the fields as well. his pelts are not useable.. well they make great trim on his mountainman gear. he has been going to only head shots if he can. something aobut the 65 grain and 75 grain V-max being too devastating.
My 257 Rob and 25-06 have not had to come out. however the 25-06 is sighted in at 400 yards, the Robert's is sighted in at 350. nothing has been that long of a shot for me. I can not way to coyote and wolf hunt the forests of Maine, Vermont, and Northern New Hampshire with friends this fall or next.

22-250 Ackley Improved built on a parker hale action with a McGowen barrel. An 80 gr amax make it a long range coyote killer. A pleasure to heft and shoot.

I've shot a lot of coyotes with a lot of diferent calibers, but my favorate has to be my 22x243 I'm on my fifth barrel with it shot literally hundreds of coyotes with it. Moderate recoil and noise very flat shooting,especially handy for night hunting! 75 GR AMAX @3600 not a fur gun.

.223 in a Rock River 16 in carbine used Sept 1 to Nov 15.

22-250 Rem 788 with a timney trigger Nov 16 to Feb 16

.243 Win in a Savage Feb 17 to May 1

I am crazy but you get your close shots while there is cover and the young of the year are still alive. As the the season wears on and the cover disappears, the shots get longer, the calibers change. I use the 788 because it is the most expensive 788 that ever existed after adding the trigger, stock and scope. Barrel is nearly shot out on it but it soldiers on for the time being.

you have to think about whether or not your going to be out walking with the rifle, and will you be making a lot of shots off hand. I have several rifles I shoot dogs with, but my favorite is a 700 Remington VS in .223 N.M. The barrel's a little short at 20", but also figure I lost about 75fps in the process compared to a 26" barrel length. But I gained a very nice balance in the rifle to shoot off hand shots with. Also the rounded fore end that Remington used is better for off hand shooting. It's not a true long distance round of course, but 75% of the coyotes I've killed with anything have been under 300 yards anyway. I also shoot the 22-250, and at 300 yards I see little difference in just how dead a coyote is! My 6/250 AI is a serious 600 yards round, and probably further with a younger set of eyeballs. The 6mm Remington is the next choice in my book. Good barrel life, and really comes to the front when you start using 95+ grain bullets. The 6mm Ackley is a beast! Wants that 28" barrel really bad, and can be a serious 850 yard weapon with the right bullets.
gary

I've shot a lot of coyotes with a lot of diferent calibers, but my favorate has to be my 22x243 I'm on my fifth barrel with it shot literally hundreds of coyotes with it. Moderate recoil and noise very flat shooting,especially handy for night hunting! 75 GR AMAX @3600 not a fur gun.

Did Hazer at Bison Barrel Works build your .22-243?

He does great work. Barreled a .223 for me.

I haveto +1 here. The 22-243 is a very popular cartride among the serious 'yoters in this neck of the woods. I made a mistake by keeping the slow twist barrel on mine. 1-12" won't stabilize much but 50grn blitzkings @ 4600fps makes for a fun splat factor :cool:

t

I haveto +1 here. The 22-243 is a very popular cartride among the serious 'yoters in this neck of the woods. I made a mistake by keeping the slow twist barrel on mine. 1-12" won't stabilize much but 50grn blitzkings @ 4600fps makes for a fun splat factor :cool:

t

Outlaw6.0,

But have you put a suppressor on it yet?

John

i bought a .204 ruger specifically for coyotes. it seems to do the trick pretty well despite all of the stories i've read and heard about coyotes running away after they've been hit.

Outlaw6.0,

But have you put a suppressor on it yet?

John

No sir I haven't. Wish I had a better excuse, I've been slacking.

i bought a .204 ruger specifically for coyotes. it seems to do the trick pretty well despite all of the stories i've read and heard about coyotes running away after they've been hit.

I've killed a few with the 204 but not many. As long as you don't have to stretch WAY out there I think it's alright.

T

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts