What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Yeah, I think everyone hear has killed coyotes with a variety of weapons like bird shot, or even a bow, but the thread is 'caliber of choice'. In other words, what is your favorite caliber for yotes.

Hard to beat a good .243 for coyotes. I have an old Remington 700 .243 and have yet to have one run off after a hit.

Favorite would be 6mmAI shooting 70 grn Nosler ballistic tips or 95 grn Nosler CT's in the wind. My very close second in the favorite category is a 6 BR Improved shooting the 70 Noslers. For both I keep a few SMK 107 grn loaded when the dogs are running waaay out there.

I use both rifles depending on my mood and hunting conditions for predators.

A vanilla Remington model 700 VLS .22-.250. I use out of the box Hornady 50gr V-Max loads.

A custom made .243 Sako action with a 26" Lija barrel with a 1:12 twist. I normally am pushing 70gr @ 3500 fps.

my favorites are 223 rem, 243 win, 6mm rem, and their Ackley versions, and 25-06 especially now the sierra makes that 90 grain blitzking

as a rule 223s are not great at long range in wind if you want to look at what you shot. i don't like lugging heavy guns in desert sand as i like to enjoy saturday pm at home and at 60 my 300rum is great for deer and elk but not any fun on jacks and dogs. i shoot the 22-250 wby old varm-master if competing and the pre-64 fwt 243 with 75 gr hornady hp. both those guns are sweet and fun. the 300 is mean. dr rc

as a rule 223s are not great at long range in wind if you want to look at what you shot. i don't like lugging heavy guns in desert sand as i like to enjoy saturday pm at home and at 60 my 300rum is great for deer and elk but not any fun on jacks and dogs. i shoot the 22-250 wby old varm-master if competing and the pre-64 fwt 243 with 75 gr hornady hp. both those guns are sweet and fun. the 300 is mean. dr rc

ralph,
I've shot many yote's with my 22.250 {old} Wby Varmintmaster 26" the rifle and the caliber was made for each other.. I'd bought two at the same time, had both stocks hand picked by Weatherby…. in .22 250 Rem 26" and .224 Wby Mag 26" I use the .224 WM for most varmints now days... I pulled the barrel on the .22 250 {save it, it still has some life in it} and rebarrel with the same exact contour {drop's in that way and I don't have to cut on the stock} as the .22 250 factory had to a 6XC chambering... man it's a deer popping little round and works great for the windy day yote hunt as well; as a walking rifle it's perfect. If you ever decide to make a change in caliber I highly recommend the 6XC rebarrel in that grand old Wby Varmintmaster rifle.
Weatherby Mk V Varmintmaster 22.250

Good luck

.17 Remington is my choice.
I like the idea of flat shooting, devastating killing power, minimum pelt damage, bang flop
dead right there performance.
It is not as wind sensitive as some think, very close to .223.
Out to 300 yards plus the .17 gets my nod.
I have many other rifles to shoot Kye-Dogs with but I always grab my .17 Remington!
gun)Shooting coyotes does not always mean a big boom and heavy bullets!

ur kiddin, right. i'm a dr., not a dunce.

No, I am not kiddin you! I have owned a bunch of varmint rifles and have loaded one or two rounds of ammo in the last 40 years and have shot a few critters in my time.
One thing I have learned is that bigger is not always better.
I would imagine if you have not shot a .17 Remington or killed anything with one then you may not understand my choice of calibres for coyoyes.
With a 25 grain bullet moving out at 3850 fps compared to a .223, 55 grain moving out at 3240 fps, my .17 drifts only 2.2" more than a .223at 300 yards!
So far I have never had anything go any where after a hit with my .17 and as long as I keep my shots off the bone pelt damage is almost a none issue.
Flat shooting, less recoil than a .223 with accuracy that hovers around 3/4" at 100 yards( this is not the fastest nor most accurate load in my rifle) and kills out of proportion when compared to other calibres. Not to mention just plain fun.
So to answer your question no I aint kiddin.
Call me a dunce if you will but I do shoot enough to put em where they livegun)
and that is what it takes.
A solid hit with a .17 rem is better than a miss with a .338 Edge in my book.
What is your favorite coyote calibre?

No, I am not kiddin you! I have owned a bunch of varmint rifles and have loaded one or two rounds of ammo in the last 40 years and have shot a few critters in my time.
One thing I have learned is that bigger is not always better.
I would imagine if you have not shot a .17 Remington or killed anything with one then you may not understand my choice of calibres for coyoyes.
With a 25 grain bullet moving out at 3850 fps compared to a .223, 55 grain moving out at 3240 fps, my .17 drifts only 2.2" more than a .223at 300 yards!
So far I have never had anything go any where after a hit with my .17 and as long as I keep my shots off the bone pelt damage is almost a none issue.
Flat shooting, less recoil than a .223 with accuracy that hovers around 3/4" at 100 yards( this is not the fastest nor most accurate load in my rifle) and kills out of proportion when compared to other calibres. Not to mention just plain fun.
So to answer your question no I aint kiddin.
Call me a dunce if you will but I do shoot enough to put em where they livegun)
and that is what it takes.
A solid hit with a .17 rem is better than a miss with a .338 Edge in my book.
What is your favorite coyote calibre?

That's the same caliber I use. If they require something bigger, then I bring out the big guns..............a 204.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.