What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

SBRUCE
You are going to love the 6x47 Lapua Improved. The 6x47 is awesomely efficient and the improved version I am sure will be better. Please post your results when you have used it. I am curiuos to what you will be using for twist rate, barrel, bullets etc.

It's going to be 27" Sendaro contour Benchmark Barrel, Fluted, with long "shank" so it can be set back an inch or two when the throat starts to go. 1 in 9 twist. Plan to shoot bullets in the 75 to 95 grn class, will probably also try the 105's (Berger VLD Hunting and Hornady A-Max) I've also got some Berger VLD Hunting 95's, some Berger 88's, don't have any 75's yet. Rifle is being built on the old Ruger M77 action, trigger job was done a long time ago (about 1 lb), it will be in Kings Desert Shadow camo. I've got a few choices for optics, haven't decided on that yet. Gun will be a tight neck (minimun turn .269) throated for 95's. Replacing the old wood stock w/ a new synthetic and Pachmayer Pad.

I'll be Fireforming to the improved version with Bullseye powder/cotton wad, and then sorting for concentricity/weight/neck thickness, ect. before I turn the necks down from .014" to .012". This should result in great accuracy and minimal working of the brass once fireformed. Neil Jones Custom Products is making the Dies....................Wish me luck, I've never worked with any wildcats like this before, but with all that work it had better shoot little teeny tiny groups!!

I'll post more info and pics once I get it all together and have shot it some.

Last edited:
Love my 6x47 Lapua. 105 Amaxes are wicked on coyotes !

NF 2.5-10x32 with the HV reticle runs it perfect to 600 yards ! Works great at night too !

100_01762.jpg

100_01741.jpg

100_0178.jpg

Scott_2009_CC_hunt.JPG

25-06 for me. Running 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips @ 3360 fps. Makes a mess of them..... :)

I don't sell the furs anyways.

Really good on Whitetail deer too.

Thanks, Tom

My favorite "cartridge" for coyotes is the 22-250 although my 25-06 is a close second -here's one shot with my 25-06 from a couple of years ago.
Rem. 700 bdl -hs precision thumbhole stock -zeiss conquest 6.5x20-50 -burris signature rings -100gr nbt .

DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's one hit with my 22-250 -and no i didn't get the pictures switched -that sierra 55gr.
blitzking caught a rib going in i believe and vented his back.
Rem. 700 bdl 22-250 -hs precision stock -zeiss conquest 4.5x14-44 burris signature rings 55gr blitzking .
I built this rifle too heavy for my taste [26" #4 douglas barrel] wish i had stuck with the original plan and built a 22-250AI -1_8" twist #3 barrel.
DSCN0007.jpg

I'm doing load developement on a 280AI that is set up like the other two remingtons except a 28" Broughton built by Nathan Dagley.
It's throated for the 162gr Amax -that should really smack them good and plenty !
Time will tell.
ME

I have a few dependable coyote killers; 223 WSSM, 257 Roberts, and 17 Remington. the 223 WSSM is getting rebarreled with a heavy barrel because the 1:10 twist is too fast. the 17 Rem is devastating on coyotes without messing up the hide. the 257 Roberts with 90 grain match kings does wonders on long shots.
however my fave round for coyotes is the 22-250 Remington. I do not own one but I have seen what they can do to coyotes at between 80 and 200 yards. I just tuned up my 17 Rem for the up coming coyote season this fall and winter. I hope to make the coyotes drop without a problem.
I am off to the range...
Fred the gunsmithgun)

I've used lots of calibers to shoot 100's of coyotes over the years. My favorites were the 220 swift and 22-250. Very Very few have gotten away, most of the ones that did............would have even with a bigger caliber(poor shot placement, leg hits). I've taken a fair number of song dogs at 400 to 500 yds with the fast 22's, no problem at all with decent shot placement. I have had a couple get away that were beyond 500 yds, and they were shot with a 6mm and heavy bullets designed for deer size game. Don't know where they were hit, could just tell that they were.

I've shot the barrel out of my old Swift(made in '73) and am currently getting it re done in an Ackley Improved 6X47 Lapua. My other choice was a 22-250 Ackley, but the smith I'm using prefers to work with 6mm's; so I thought I'd give the 6X47 Lapua case a try. Still have and use a highly accurate 22-250 that shoots Bergers great.....knocks coyotes DRT usually and doesn't tear up much fur.

I personally like 6mm's on coyotes as well, even though I shoot most these days with a .223. In a 6mm, I like the Sierra 80 grain Blitz at about 3400fps. I've never tagged one that took a single step. Now I have a 6mm/250AI in a 1:8 twist barrel that'll reach out further than I dare to shoot. Cases are easy to make for that round, as all you do is neck 22-250's up to 6mm/250, and fire form
gary

It's going to be 27" Sendaro contour Benchmark Barrel, Fluted, with long "shank" so it can be set back an inch or two when the throat starts to go. 1 in 9 twist. Plan to shoot bullets in the 75 to 95 grn class, will probably also try the 105's (Berger VLD Hunting and Hornady A-Max) I've also got some Berger VLD Hunting 95's, some Berger 88's, don't have any 75's yet. Rifle is being built on the old Ruger M77 action, trigger job was done a long time ago (about 1 lb), it will be in Kings Desert Shadow camo. I've got a few choices for optics, haven't decided on that yet. Gun will be a tight neck (minimun turn .269) throated for 95's. Replacing the old wood stock w/ a new synthetic and Pachmayer Pad.

I'll be Fireforming to the improved version with Bullseye powder/cotton wad, and then sorting for concentricity/weight/neck thickness, ect. before I turn the necks down from .014" to .012". This should result in great accuracy and minimal working of the brass once fireformed. Neil Jones Custom Products is making the Dies....................Wish me luck, I've never worked with any wildcats like this before, but with all that work it had better shoot little teeny tiny groups!!

I'll post more info and pics once I get it all together and have shot it some.

You'll probably want to use a 1:8 twist barrel with the Berger 88's and the VLD's. I could not stabalize the 88's with a 1:9 twist barrel in two different rifles. But I can stablize the 105 grain Amax bullets at 3000 fps in my 1:8 barrel. I also recommend you purchasing a small arbor press and a set of Wilson dies
keep us all posted on this new adventure!
gary

I personally like 6mm's on coyotes as well, even though I shoot most these days with a .223. In a 6mm, I like the Sierra 80 grain Blitz at about 3400fps. I've never tagged one that took a single step. Now I have a 6mm/250AI in a 1:8 twist barrel that'll reach out further than I dare to shoot. Cases are easy to make for that round, as all you do is neck 22-250's up to 6mm/250, and fire form
gary
Gary you need to try thy the 22-243 at 4250 fps with the 50 grain
they have a pbr of 367 yards zero at 316 yards.
2.0 inches high at 100 yds.
For the 6mm go with the 6mm-06

Gary you need to try thy the 22-243 at 4250 fps with the 50 grain
they have a pbr of 367 yards zero at 316 yards.
2.0 inches high at 100 yds.
For the 6mm go with the 6mm-06

I have a couple buddies that shoot the Jarrett and the Cheatah (similar rounds). They've both gone thru more than one barrel apiece, and one is going to rebarrel to either .257AI or 6mmAI. The 6/250AI is good for at least 750 yards shooting 88's, but looking back at it I think I could design a slightly better case. I think a 6mmAI reamer run in to about 1.514" at the shoulder would be a far better round. I could form the cases out of .243 brass, and still have similar case capacity as the .243, but with the better neck and the 40 degree shoulders of the Ackley design.Most of my shots are under 400 yards around here, and for those ranges the 80 grain Blitz just fills the bill effortlessly.

Yet in my .223's I normally use 55 grain Vmax bullets (1:14 twist barrels). Going to start load work on a 60 grain round very soon, and if works out I'll do the same in one of my 22-250's (1:12 twist barrels). The .223 I normally will be seen with is a 20" barreled Remington 700. I just very comfortable with the rifle, and it's deadly shooting offhand (wish it had a 1:12 twist barrel!) Still a dog is toast with it under 350 yards. I'm going to setup a load with Nosler BT's in that round as well as the 60 grain Noslers.
I hate coyotes!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts