What would you do?

I've got a couple of 7-300 prc's and 28 noslers. Shot an elk bull out in west Texas with 195 EOL's out of the 7-300 at 695yds and it folded right there. Easy to load for and the recoil isn't bad. I shoot them with a suppressor also sometimes. So far I haven't had anything do but a staggering death walk with either of the calibers. 300prc I've got with 215 hybrids crashes animals too. Have a few mule deer and white tails with it out to 750. I think the 300 prc might be the better all around with the different weights of bullets that are available but i like my 7-300 a little better I think. I think you'll be good with quite a few of the calibers listed.

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
If you decide on a 30 cal like a 300 PRC and you wish to use heavy bullets make sure your twist rate is 81/2 or faster. I would like to run heavy Barnes bullets in my 300 PRC but my 9" twist rate is too slow

Thats a big choice, all are great rounds. I have 3 win mags and a 300PRC. I still would go with the Win Mag for one reason more so than any thing else, No mater where you go in this Country ,You can find SHELLS FOR IT. You can forget yours at home, loose them on a plane or just fell out of a truck somewhere ,It does not matter the local store will put you back in business.

I'm looking into my first magnum rifle. I'm needing a rifle at least 7mm in caliber, just in case I draw an Oklahoma Elk tag, the require at least .277 diameter to hunt elk. I'm wanting a rifle I can shoot bout to 1000 yards on game effectively. I'm planning to hand load, but would like factory ammo available as an option. This will be mainly a sit and shoot rifle so weight is not an issue. I currently carry a 13lb 6.5 all the time. What chambering would you guys recommend? If you have a rifle recommendation post that as well.
Thanks ahead of time.
After a long list of calibers and rifles that are all great choices I have to say that my Desert Tech in .338 LM has done everything I have asked of it very well! The .338 LM and other super magnums such as the Weatherby .338-.378 have "over match" for most shooting needs. They have very high BC projectile availability, high velocity and high energy. This over match gives you an edge in wind bucking capabilities and time of flight along with higher energy delivered to the target. I have a host of reasons I prefer my DT, but there are many great rifles available that you may prefer. I really like 60 degree bolt throw and the Weatherby MK V which is available in quite an assortment of calibers now, if it were me .338-.378 would be the one!
body_wh.svg

Weatherby, Inc.

MARK V® APEX®

$2,799.00 – $2,899.00

Welcome to the top of the food chain, the Mark V® APEX is where long-range accuracy meets lightweight hunting. The APEX is built on the iconic Weatherby® Mark V® steel action and comes with a fluted two-toned cerakoted barrel.

FINISH

Fluted Barrel – 2-tone Coyote Tan Cerakote and Graphite Black
Trigger Guard / Receiver – Coyote Tan Cerakote
Bolt / Bolt Knob / Safety – Graphite Black Cerakote
Stock – Exposed Carbon fiber with tan/brown sponge pattern accents

I own quite a few rifles and calibers capable of what you're looking for and they are all shooters.
6.8WST, 7PRC, 300WM, 340WBY.
This year so far I've been training with my 6.8WST a lot and that will more than likely be my LR Elk gun of choice for this season.
90% of the time however I carry my 338RPM as most of my spots I can get easily within 400.
The energy differences at 1k and drops between the 6.8WST, 300WM and 7PRC are negligible really, as are the drops and windage.
If you're shooting that far at game, it's you that are going to be the differentiator, not the caliber really when they are all capable.

My advice is, go to JBM ballistic calculator and enter all the data you need and see what the minimum energy level is at a 1000 yards. Enter the bullet speed, the bullet, BC, the barrel length, and the altitude you will be shooting it. this will tell you the energy at 1000 yards. The drop in the speed of the bullet at impact. Also the amount of energy at impact. my advice would be the 300 RUM 338 RUM, the 300 Norma 28 Nosler, 7 STW, 300 PRC, 300 Win Mag and 7PRC. The 300 PRC, the 300 win and seven PRC I would pay attention to the barrel length and bullet selection for enough energy for 1000 yards kill. An example of this is if you were trying to shoot a 300 win mag with 180 Barnes TTSX verse a Berger hybrid 215. The hybrid will have more energy and the 180 Barnes will not have enough energy.
Good luck with your new rifle build.
Jason

Thanks ahead of time.
Don't overlook the 340 Weatherby. There is high quality factory ammo, and reloading components and dies. Pick a Mark V with a 26" or better barrel and a muzzle break. Accuracy will be a concern: 1 moa is about 10" at 1000 yards, and it's much harder to mantain at 1000 than at 100. A good scope is needed. If you aren't carrying it, I suppose you aren't still hunting, so a 3 or 4 power low end on the scope is likely OK. I like Swarovski.

The 340 Wby has been sitting around for years without much attention. It's equivalent to a 338 Lapua. It's recoil is a little bigger than the 300 Weatherby (or 300 WinMag in a lighter rifle). It's way more than a 338 WinMag. Get enough eye relief.

Thanks ahead of time.
I really like my 7mm practical.

Attachments

• 1451.jpeg
    1451.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 27
338 wm would be a good one to go with in my opinion.
I have shot many elk with 270 30-06 300wm and my all time favorite that outperforms them all is the 338wm with 250gr bullets. I have shot at least a dozen with that combination and NOT ONE took more than a step after being hit, every other caliber I have personally shot elk with, or watched partners hit elk with at range all go a distance after taking the hit sometimes multiple hits which is an unacceptable result when the direction they are heading is down into a big *** hole in the ground in the coast range of Oregon. Something magical about that combination. As one writer (maybe Jack O) said, "it just numbs em". I am a believer and wouldn't shoot a thousand yards at an elk with anything else, at least if you want it anchored where it stands... Put a good tactical scope on it and flat shooting is not something you need be concerned with regardless of caliber, you need terminal performance, the rest is fluff.