What would you do?

Maybe I miss it... But seems to me that nobody suggest the most common problem causing this issues (at least to my knowledge)

Measure headspace on a "missfired" round and in a fired round... Probably excess of headspace in this chamber.

Maybe your Smith used wildcat go/no-go gauges instead of SAAMI?

Good thinking, would be the place to start. If that looks good go with different primers and inspect the inside of the bolt like others have suggested
Maybe I miss it... But seems to me that nobody suggest the most common problem causing this issues (at least to my knowledge)

Measure headspace on a "missfired" round and in a fired round... Probably excess of headspace in this chamber.

Maybe your Smith used wildcat go/no-go gauges instead of SAAMI?

I was having this type of problem with a Ruger 77 that I had changed the trigger out on. It was causing the cocking lug to drag across the trigger slowing the firing pin down enough not to get a hard strike on the primer.
Next time you get a misfire recock the bolt and try it again.

Ok lots of good suggestions here thank you. So I was told by the smith that the rifle was cut with an original ackley reamer and I'm using a delux Redding die set that says 280 ackley improved, I'm assuming that means I have SAAMI set dies and a wildcat chamber. I had more miss fires when I neck sized than when I FL sized but I also fired more necked sized rounds than FL sized rounds. I don't have shoulder bump gauges but I will get some. I have several of the rounds that didn't fire, what will I be looking for vice the two? I would think the misfire rounds would have much more shoulder bump, allowing them to slide a bit further in the chamber? Also to answer a couple other questions, I did chrono the rounds and I did try to fire the misfire rounds a second time and they still ftf. Thanks guys

Have you tried seating the bullets out to just engage the rifling on the ones you are fireforming? That is standard practice on Ackley Improved cartridges with out a belt. It keeps the back of the case pushed against the bolt. Sounds like the case is moving forward and some are not igniting. Also, it helps to get a better fire form.

Have you tried seating the bullets out to just engage the rifling on the ones you are fireforming? That is standard practice on Ackley Improved cartridges with out a belt. It keeps the back of the case pushed against the bolt. Sounds like the case is moving forward and some are not igniting. Also, it helps to get a better fire form.

I'm using nosler 280 ai brass so I wasn't trying to fireform with them but I did have the bullets right at the lands just not jammed.

Ok lots of good suggestions here thank you. So I was told by the smith that the rifle was cut with an original ackley reamer and I'm using a delux Redding die set that says 280 ackley improved, I'm assuming that means I have SAAMI set dies and a wildcat chamber. I had more miss fires when I neck sized than when I FL sized but I also fired more necked sized rounds than FL sized rounds. I don't have shoulder bump gauges but I will get some. I have several of the rounds that didn't fire, what will I be looking for vice the two? I would think the misfire rounds would have much more shoulder bump, allowing them to slide a bit further in the chamber? Also to answer a couple other questions, I did chrono the rounds and I did try to fire the misfire rounds a second time and they still ftf. Thanks guys

This is confusing because Nosler chose, for whatever reason, to make their production .280 Ackley Improved cartridge .014 thousandths shorter; this is where the confusion starts! IMO the question for the smith is, "Is my chambering a .280AI SAAMI, or a .280 Ackley Improved, original 40 degree Wildcat chamber?"

My 280 PO Ackley will not fire the first time every time [kind of rare that they do not] if I do not have them jammed either. As will most. But just a slight lift of the bolt to reset the firing pin and another trigger pull usually takes care of that.

I had this conversation with the smith the first go round and he said that he did use the old style reamer, I'm not sure what go guage but I would have to think it would be the original 40 degree as well. I will call him tomorrow and check. So if this is the issue could I use the 280 ai brass that has been fired in my chamber, use a bump guage and set my neck die to bump the shoulder back 20 thou and be properly head spaced then? Sorry this is a lot to understand. I'm pretty sure it is a headspace problem since I can almost feel the give when the round is chambered and contacted by the firing pin, then again what do I know.

then again what do I know.

I can't contribute any more than what's already been suggested, but I'll give ya an "Attaboy"! Sucks that you are having these issues that's for sure! However, the upside is that you WILL intimately know all about that rifle when it's all said and done and its shooting/performing like it should. Keep your chin up!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm gonna try what I described above for the fire formed brass. For the misfired ammo, I will pull the bullets, resize and reload at a lower charge but jam the bullets in the lands to fire form. I will report back

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts