What would you do?

I agree, but when it comes to how hogs have wreaked havoc on the SE united states, those in non-hog areas have no idea how invasive, fast-breeding, and destructive they are. They are 100% nuisance, damage BILLIONS in crops and land every year, and need to eradicated in as large a number as possible. Hunting them year-round will never even begin to eradicate them, but it will only help control the population of hogs we have. It will also help keep crop damage and property destruction to a minimum.

So, if it's a hunting preserve that specializes in killing hogs, let them kill as many as possible.

Where do you live? Do you have access to Elk hunting? If you do I would trade you a guided Walleye trip on Green Bay.
I would love to go walleye fishing in Green Bay, but unforunately, I don't live anywhere near elk country... I'm down in central Alabama...Whitetail and bass fishing country.

I agree, but when it comes to how hogs have wreaked havoc on the SE united states, those in non-hog areas have no idea how invasive, fast-breeding, and destructive they are. They are 100% nuisance, damage BILLIONS in crops and land every year, and need to eradicated in as large a number as possible. Hunting them year-round will never even begin to eradicate them, but it will only help control the population of hogs we have. It will also help keep crop damage and property destruction to a minimum.

So, if it's a preserved that kills hogs, let them kill as many as possible.
No argument there. It is just not for me. I know several people that have really nice animal mounts from inside a fence. Sorry unless you physically can't do it inside a fence is not hunting that is killing. There is so much more to a hunt than the taking of the animal.Just my beliefs

I would love to go walleye fishing in Green Bay, but unforunately, I don't live anywhere near elk country... I'm down in central Alabama...Whitetail and bass fishing country.
Well you were very helpful with my post on building a AR15 Grendel for my wife for deer hunting and I'm sure I will have many more questions when I start. If you can get up to Wisconsin we will take you Walleye fishing just help with fuel cost.

"If" your budget allows it, go "full" custom - acquire the exact components yourself - components that you really want and happy with.

Pretty much this. While there is nothing wrong with a Tikka if you want custom go custom. There are a multitude of options out there for an action and they're getting more and more affordable. I.E. the Bighorn Origin and ARC Nucleus both fully featured actions that are moderately priced.

I know it might come off presumptuous (not my intent) but outside of pulling a Tikka T3 223 varmint for a trainer, i can't think of a factory rifle i would own. I'd rather go custom every time to get exactly what i want. Does this cost more money? Obviously the answer is yes at base cost. Feature for feature by the time you spend customizing a factory action you're basically there. While the Tikka doesn't need truing it still runs about $750 or so once you find a donor, get a steel recoil lug, 20 MOA rail, decent bolt knob, metal shroud, etc. It starts adding up fast. One caveat is that you can take the factory tikka trigger and add an after market spring to really have a very nice trigger.

No argument there. It is just not for me. I know several people that have really nice animal mounts from inside a fence. Sorry unless you physically can't do it inside a fence is not hunting that is killing. There is so much more to a hunt than the taking of the animal.Just my beliefs
Agree 100%, as far as game animals and trophy animals go. High-fence hunting, ain't hunting.

I was just stating that since around here, we don't consider hogs to be a "game animal" by legal definition, they're classified as a nuisance animal...So, any means necessary to help remedy the hog plaque is fine with me.

Well you were very helpful with my post on building a AR15 Grendel for my wife for deer hunting and I'm sure I will have many more questions when I start. If you can get up to Wisconsin we will take you Walleye fishing just help with fuel cost.
The way money has been the last few years, and the way work has been going (or not going, depending on how you look at it), it will be quite a while before that would be able to happen. But the offer is much appreciated. And if I ever find myself up that way, I'll definitely holler at you.

As for the Grendel build, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I'm always more than happy to help.

The way money has been the last few years, and the way work has been going (or not going, depending on how you look at it), it will be quite a while before that would be able to happen. But the offer is much appreciated. And if I ever find myself up that way, I'll definitely holler at you.

As for the Grendel build, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I'm always more than happy to help.
I guess there is a prime example of equipment versus trips. You sound like you have a lot of really nice guns. But no money for a trip.lol Really if you can make it up here the cost for fishing fuel for a couple of days would be 50-75 bucks. We would camp so that is very reasonable. Biggest cost would be fuel to get here and taxidermy bill when you leave lol.oh by the way do you know the difference between a Bass fisherman and a Walleye fisherman is? A bass fisherman is a guy that can't catch Walleyes

I guess there is a prime example of equipment versus trips. You sound like you have a lot of really nice guns. But no money for a trip.lol Really if you can make it up here the cost for fishing fuel for a couple of days would be 50-75 bucks. We would camp so that is very reasonable. Biggest cost would be fuel to get here and taxidermy bill when you leave lol.oh by the way do you know the difference between a Bass fisherman and a Walleye fisherman is? A bass fisherman is a guy that can't catch Walleyes
Exactly... I used to make good money, so I have a lot of nice stuff (that I refuse to sell, no matter how broke I am, because I worked really hard for it) but the last few years have been a struggle for survival of paying bills and finding work, so these days just been trying to make ends-meet. Things will get better, right now just stuck in a rut.

Never caught a walleye, but always wanted to.

My advise would be to buy new glass. After you spend a bunch of money upgrading the rifle it gets really hard to drop another 3k on glass. Makes me scratch my head when a guy spends 4k on a build and tops it with a Vortex. Confidence in your rifle is good, Having the best glass only adds to it.

Always wanted to walleye fish also. Had something to do with that shore lunch.

Shore lunch and walleye fish fry is an awesome combination. In one of my remote wilderness fishing trips to Saskatchewan, we found a walleye honey-hole literally within casting distance from our shore lunch spot. I am not exaggerating but my arms got tired with all the action. ****, that was awesome fishing and fish fry. Walleye is one of the best fish out there, esp. when fresh ... and this is coming from a picky fish eater (except for sashimis :D). Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.