What to use??

Shot my first ever living thing today.
Was out riding horses with my boss, as usual had my 30-30 along that he gave me. We saw a good deer, and he said to me "that's yours, I'm going to guess 80 to 100 yards".
My 30-30 has open sights, no scope, but I practice with it regularly at 100 yards. He told me that he is my back up, if it starts to run, he will take the 2nd shot using his 338.

I waited for my boss to get it in his scope, and the wind to calm down, and my horse to steady himself. Then squeezed off a round, the deer stumbled a little bit, and then went down.
Since this is asking for ammo recommendations, it was Federal Power Shock 170 grain, which is the only ammo I've ever used in this rifle.

Since he was facing us, I watched his pattern of grazing.
He would put his head down, get a good mouthful, lift his head and look around as he chewed.
Since his head was most still when it was down to get another mouthful, as soon as he put his head down, wind was between gusts, and my horse had settled, I took the head shot.

Ok I am an Arizona hunter for last 8 years and haven't hunted anywhere else so curious to your opinion guys.
I am gonna go hunt with my brother in NY catskill mountains on his land. He is lefty and I am a righty (shooting wise not political) and all my guns here are for 200 yard plus and mostly prc calibers . I have an older 308 savage rifle that just sits in my safe already with a 3-12 scope setup . Is that good enough for that or should I use larger caliber like a 300 prc I have setup.
Most guys up there use 30-06 and all of them say I need one for there.
Give me your opinion please guys????
The 308 is all that you will need for deer sized animals at 200 yards or less. Take that Savage out of the safe and go have fun out in the NY woods. You will find the hunting quite different than you are used to. Enjoy 😊

Ok I am an Arizona hunter for last 8 years and haven't hunted anywhere else so curious to your opinion guys.
I am gonna go hunt with my brother in NY catskill mountains on his land. He is lefty and I am a righty (shooting wise not political) and all my guns here are for 200 yard plus and mostly prc calibers . I have an older 308 savage rifle that just sits in my safe already with a 3-12 scope setup . Is that good enough for that or should I use larger caliber like a 300 prc I have setup.

20140715_164837_Android-768x458.jpg

I'm a northeast hunter !! In my youth , Liberty and Roscoe and Carbondale. Sometimes hunters shoot deer that are moving , at 30 yards , or less, up in those woods. 100 yards was considered a LONG shot . Your 308 with a 150 grn. or a 165 grn. is really just fine , My friend took a moose in Canada with his Rem. Model 7, in 308. with factory Federal ammo. If you have some extra cash , you may wish to consider a scope about 1.5X to 5 X to even 2X to 8X power. If you can practice quicky raising the rifle, clicking off the safety , getting you sight picture, and firing a shot in to a target , that could be a helpful exercise for woods hunting. Buy good cold weather socks!! Best of luck to you!!

.308 will work just fine!

I think your 308 will be fine. New York has some really nice deer, but nothing a 308 can't handle . This caliber has killed a lot bigger animals than deer. Make sure you have a good bullet and enjoy the hunt. Good luck.

Anything with in reason is totally fine. 308 will do just fine. Growing up my aunt used a 243 with 90's and killed a pile of elk. My neighbor has killed 11 with a 143 out of a 6.5 CM out to 500. I'd have zero reservations using the 308 in close range country.

I'm an AZ hunter from back East also. I usually go to PA every year for buck season. I use a 6.5 CM so your 308 is plenty. My typical shots in woods are under 100-125 and the longest I've done is 350 on the powerlines. A low power scope in SFP is my go to for quick shots.
Good luck!

Shot my first ever living thing today.
Was out riding horses with my boss, as usual had my 30-30 along that he gave me. We saw a good deer, and he said to me "that's yours, I'm going to guess 80 to 100 yards".
My 30-30 has open sights, no scope, but I practice with it regularly at 100 yards. He told me that he is my back up, if it starts to run, he will take the 2nd shot using his 338.

I waited for my boss to get it in his scope, and the wind to calm down, and my horse to steady himself. Then squeezed off a round, the deer stumbled a little bit, and then went down.
Since this is asking for ammo recommendations, it was Federal Power Shock 170 grain, which is the only ammo I've ever used in this rifle.

Since he was facing us, I watched his pattern of grazing.
He would put his head down, get a good mouthful, lift his head and look around as he chewed.
Since his head was most still when it was down to get another mouthful, as soon as he put his head down, wind was between gusts, and my horse had settled, I took the head shot.
Congrats and well done.... shooting off a horse is an accomplishment all by itself!!

Off hand, and from a saddle, 80-100yd head shot.
with irons.
Dont ask for shooting advice here, please GIVE it.

Don't be shy about sharing photos!
To be clear, I meant photos of trophies, targets etc. In this day and time I don't want to be misunderstood.

Last edited:
I'll take a 308 over an 06 every day of the week. The difference is less than 200 fps for same weight bullets. You have the perfect setup for that trip. Enjoy! Last year I took a nice fat Missouri White Tail with a TC Contender at 135 yds. 30-30, 14" barrel, 125 gr HH at about 2000 fps.
-another AZ hunter.

Living on a ranch, my boss has me practicing shots from a horse regularly. Not only for me, but it also gets the horse used to it. Until 2021 I had never ridden a horse, but am extremely blessed with the horse my boss gave me.
Many of the horses here are solid trail horses, used to driving cattle, being close to farm equipment, shot off of, and generally well mannered. My boss gave me a choice of 6 unspoken for horses to choose from. I rode all 6, and it was clear by week 2 which one I wanted. I love him, he is bomb proof, fast, sure footed, agile as they come, and a gentle soul. Ranch rule is never ride with a round in the chamber, so when I stop, pull my rifle from its scabbard, and chamber a round, he is well aware of what is about to happen, he can hear it. That is when he takes a few seconds to steady himself, and get planted firmly. Often times though I'll ask him to turn a bit, or back up or go forward a few feet to give me a better angle, so then he readies himself again, so another few seconds as he gets his hooves planted where he feels good. Myself, its the strap adjustment just the right length for me, as it goes around my body, and my left elbow pulls it tight, that allows me to get as stable as I can, hold my breath, and gently squeeze the trigger...you all probably knew that already, but its my process. Getting my horse aware that I want to shoot by chambering a round, and letting him settle where he is comfortable is key, and cannot be rushed. The height advantage offered in tall grash or shrubs is amazing though. My avatar pic is me with my horse.