Illinois can use 450 Bushmaster/350 Legend type guns, what to get?

WEATHERBY460

For shooting big bucks, what is the hardest hitting rifle that is legal to use in Illinois now? Or what do you recommend. Thanks

I would go with a good muzzleloader over those cartridges. You can get a lot better ballistics but you do sacrifice the chance of a follow up shot.

08CDC7AA-2FE7-4972-92BE-BE912FAA4783.jpeg
Still plan to use my Knight 'Elite'(45 Cal) for IL deer hunting. At some point I may consider switching to an allowable centerfire. I haven't been watching the reg changes lately.

My Knight in-lines(5) have been excellent at stacking up deer.

Back when Indiana was restricted, I had a whole lot of luck with my .458 Socom.

Farthest kill was 268 yards.

From the IL DNR 2019 Deer Hunting Fact Sheet.....

LEGAL HUNTING DEVICES • Shotguns, loaded with slugs only, of not larger than 10 nor smaller than 20 gauge, not capable of firing more than 3 consecutive slugs; or • Single- or double-barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .45 caliber shooting a single projectile through a barrel of at least 16 inches in length; or • Centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches; or • On private land only, archery equipment may be used with a FIREARM permit ONLY during the Firearm Seasons Nov. 22-24 & Dec. 5-8.

From the 2019/2020 IL Hunting and Trapping Digest....

Can I use a centerfire rifle for hunting in Illinois? Or handguns? A: The following species may be harvested with a rifle or handgun: coyote, striped skunk, woodchuck, squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, opossum and red and gray fox. We do not regulate the caliber of handgun or rifle that may be used, except on stateowned or managed areas, which normally allow only the use of shotguns or .22 caliber rifles. Squirrel, furbearers and woodchuck hunters may use a .17 caliber rifle on some state-owned or managed areas. No rifles may be possessed in the field, however, during firearm deer season except trappers can use guns with a caliber no larger than .22 during deer season to dispatch trapped furbearing mammals. Certain handguns are lawful for deer hunting. At all times when in possession of firearms, hunters must comply with all firearms regulations as outlined in the Illinois Criminal Code

From the IL DNR Website.... << SAD >>

Illinois Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations (Spanish)

So as I understand this .450 socom and .350 legend are still not allowed for use in Illinois correct?
Have been using the savage 220 bolt and love it but would love to move up to .350 or .450 if allowed as we have large open fields and a 200 yard plus shot would be a game changer

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts