What to use??

Living on a ranch, my boss has me practicing shots from a horse regularly. Not only for me, but it also gets the horse used to it. Until 2021 I had never ridden a horse, but am extremely blessed with the horse my boss gave me.
Many of the horses here are solid trail horses, used to driving cattle, being close to farm equipment, shot off of, and generally well mannered. My boss gave me a choice of 6 unspoken for horses to choose from. I rode all 6, and it was clear by week 2 which one I wanted. I love him, he is bomb proof, fast, sure footed, agile as they come, and a gentle soul. Ranch rule is never ride with a round in the chamber, so when I stop, pull my rifle from its scabbard, and chamber a round, he is well aware of what is about to happen, he can hear it. That is when he takes a few seconds to steady himself, and get planted firmly. Often times though I'll ask him to turn a bit, or back up or go forward a few feet to give me a better angle, so then he readies himself again, so another few seconds as he gets his hooves planted where he feels good. Myself, its the strap adjustment just the right length for me, as it goes around my body, and my left elbow pulls it tight, that allows me to get as stable as I can, hold my breath, and gently squeeze the trigger...you all probably knew that already, but its my process. Getting my horse aware that I want to shoot by chambering a round, and letting him settle where he is comfortable is key, and cannot be rushed. The height advantage offered in tall grash or shrubs is amazing though. My avatar pic is me with my horse.
Only two years on horseback and shooting from the saddle is very impressive.

Ok I am an Arizona hunter for last 8 years and haven't hunted anywhere else so curious to your opinion guys.
I am gonna go hunt with my brother in NY catskill mountains on his land. He is lefty and I am a righty (shooting wise not political) and all my guns here are for 200 yard plus and mostly prc calibers . I have an older 308 savage rifle that just sits in my safe already with a 3-12 scope setup . Is that good enough for that or should I use larger caliber like a 300 prc I have setup.
Most guys up there use 30-06 and all of them say I need one for there.
Give me your opinion please guys????
I grew up hunting mtns of NH and Vt for 60s yrs....almost every kill was under 50 yds!!! Your 308 is perfect for NY! That being said my go to rifle is a Rem 7600 in 06...I run a 2-12× scope...wide FOV is critical to aid in finding your target at very close ranges in the woods especially if the deer is moving...good luck

Ok sounds like the 308 is good!! So what bullet is good for short range . Looking for good expansion and not so much fragmenting … I shoot Hornady match, eldx and a lot of Berger out here but again it's alway 300 plus yards mostly plus lol…

And I am looking for factory ammo recommendations cause I don't wanna do a load work up for it please…
I recently tried some Norma 308 factory ammo in my Ruger SFAR...shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yds...gotta luv it

Living on a ranch, my boss has me practicing shots from a horse regularly. Not only for me, but it also gets the horse used to it. Until 2021 I had never ridden a horse, but am extremely blessed with the horse my boss gave me.
Many of the horses here are solid trail horses, used to driving cattle, being close to farm equipment, shot off of, and generally well mannered. My boss gave me a choice of 6 unspoken for horses to choose from. I rode all 6, and it was clear by week 2 which one I wanted. I love him, he is bomb proof, fast, sure footed, agile as they come, and a gentle soul. Ranch rule is never ride with a round in the chamber, so when I stop, pull my rifle from its scabbard, and chamber a round, he is well aware of what is about to happen, he can hear it. That is when he takes a few seconds to steady himself, and get planted firmly. Often times though I'll ask him to turn a bit, or back up or go forward a few feet to give me a better angle, so then he readies himself again, so another few seconds as he gets his hooves planted where he feels good. Myself, its the strap adjustment just the right length for me, as it goes around my body, and my left elbow pulls it tight, that allows me to get as stable as I can, hold my breath, and gently squeeze the trigger...you all probably knew that already, but its my process. Getting my horse aware that I want to shoot by chambering a round, and letting him settle where he is comfortable is key, and cannot be rushed. The height advantage offered in tall grash or shrubs is amazing though. My avatar pic is me with my horse.
I think you might already know or at least feel it.
The bond between a horse and a person is something very special. It's a thing that if done correctly is a true trust, a bond that will last a lifetime.
I grew up working horses the old way, we never broke a horse, the native way is to start the trust and become partners and family together, the rest just happens all by itself.

I think you might already know or at least feel it.
The bond between a horse and a person is something very special. It's a thing that if done correctly is a true trust, a bond that will last a lifetime.
I grew up working horses the old way, we never broke a horse, the native way is to start the trust and become partners and family together, the rest just happens all by itself.

My horse is amazing.
He was already broke, and had been shot off many times before being gifted to me. There are many horses here, but mine is like a best friend. Yes the bond between us is strong!
He knows my voice and whistle.
All I need to do is whistle, and he comes running.
When out on the ranch, and I dismount, there is no need to tie him, he goes nowhere. He will eat, wander 100' to water if thirsty, but has never gone more than 100' away. A short whistle and he comes trotting over and stands beside me. It is an amazing feeling!
This may sound strange to some, but my horse is my best friend.

My horse is amazing.
He was already broke, and had been shot off many times before being gifted to me. There are many horses here, but mine is like a best friend. Yes the bond between us is strong!
He knows my voice and whistle.
All I need to do is whistle, and he comes running.
When out on the ranch, and I dismount, there is no need to tie him, he goes nowhere. He will eat, wander 100' to water if thirsty, but has never gone more than 100' away. A short whistle and he comes trotting over and stands beside me. It is an amazing feeling!
This may sound strange to some, but my horse is my best friend.
Not strange at all