What to use??

Ok sounds like the 308 is good!! So what bullet is good for short range . Looking for good expansion and not so much fragmenting … I shoot Hornady match, eldx and a lot of Berger out here but again it's alway 300 plus yards mostly plus lol…

And I am looking for factory ammo recommendations cause I don't wanna do a load work up for it please…
308's are still pretty easy to find. If it were me, I buy a box of Winchester power point, a box of Remington corelokt and box of Federal Power Shok, all in 150 grains and see which shoots the best. They'll all work just fine for your application, they are lower priced and have been killing deer in the woods for years. You don't need all that fancy hyped up, high dollar, super duper stuff for 200 yards and under. If you decide to work up a load real quick, buy a box of Speer 30 caliber 150 grain BTSP's.
.27 cents each is a good bargain. If you prefer 165's, they can be has as well. They are both in stock, which is a problem with other brands of bullets these days.

and if you prefer flat base over boat tailed....

They shoot plenty good and it shouldn't take much to get a load to shoot under an inch if the rifle is decent.

Attachments

• AMMO 019.jpg
    AMMO 019.jpg
    874 KB · Views: 39
  • AMMO 022.jpg
    AMMO 022.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Factory Federal ammo loaded with 165 Sierria Gameking shows 100 FPS + - between the 30-06 and the .308.

I personally don't think a deer can tell the difference. Not trying to start a p!$$ing match on this post between the 06 and .308 crowd. (That's where it usually goes) both are great calibers. If a new gun isn't in the budget go with what you have and prove them all wrong. Most of all enjoy the ride.

This is so funny last night I just pulled out my son's 308 Winchester model 70 just found out he is probably going to be home in time to do some deer hunting from Okinawa he is a USMC man. That one shoots 150s but really likes the 165 grain Hornady SST got it set it about an inch and a half high at 100. Can't go wrong with a short action 308 for deer especially in them closer range situations

I have gotten 4 deer out of the same stand, 4 consecutive years. Many years ago there was a fire and a firebreak was cut, straight as an arrow, directly away from the stand, Cover is thick to the right and left. These deer just are walking straight down this firebreak. It's narrow, maybe 5 feet wide. When they turn off the firebreak they are gone no chance for a shot. So I started shooting them head-on, at 80 to 105 yds. My .308 enters the chest and comes out the rear (someplace) I'm shooting premium ammo with Nosler 150gr partitions. They go all the way through the deer, chest to butt. Never recovered a bullet. Easily recovered each deer.

Dust off that 308 in your safe and take her out for a good time. I guarantee she will appreciate it.

Show that 308 some love and have a great time with your brother and do that as much as you can.

I wish I could be doing that with mine but Pancreatic cancer took him at 50. Enjoy it and tell him you love him. My apologies on that last statement but it still hurts 7 years later.

Well found out I have to use lead free and lucky me Hornady CX 165gr shoots great thru my rifle. Keeping a 3/4 inch group at 100 so that's more than enough for tree stand or blind hunting there.. thanks guys for the great advice
Strange....I didn't see anything about it. Maybe I missed it somehow.

So I would definitely use this as an excuse for a new rifle

unless you are looking for an excuse to buy a new gun.
So, ever the contrarian; I think this is a great excuse to buy a new gun. Please understand, I am not advocating for or against the 30-06. I'm advocating using this as an Excuse to buy a new gun. 🤪😂😂😂
If, for some reason, you are not looking for an excuse to buy a new gun; I agree with Bullwinkle. At that range, anything will work. Well, as long as the shot is well placed and a good bullet is used.

Ok I am an Arizona hunter for last 8 years and haven't hunted anywhere else so curious to your opinion guys.
I am gonna go hunt with my brother in NY catskill mountains on his land. He is lefty and I am a righty (shooting wise not political) and all my guns here are for 200 yard plus and mostly prc calibers . I have an older 308 savage rifle that just sits in my safe already with a 3-12 scope setup . Is that good enough for that or should I use larger caliber like a 300 prc I have setup.
Most guys up there use 30-06 and all of them say I need one for there.
Give me your opinion please guys????
IMO I always hunt deer or bear with my 300 win mag it's a savage but I have not missed. And yes at close range it may blow out a shoulder but they don't run. 5 yds maybe if that usually they drop.