What to do with 280 Rem mountain rifle

I made a living building mountain rifles, light barrels can be a bit fussy especially factory barrels, however most will produce sub 1 inch accuracy with a little work, from what you've said I suspect bedding is a issue, if you brought that rifle to me first thing I'd do is clean it, although I'm almost positive thats not the problem but its remove doubt and I want a clean slate to start with, take a business business card or the equivalent cut a 1/2 inch wide strip, place it under your barrel on top of the bedding pad in the forearm you discribed, In 30 odd years of building rifles I never bothered with torque, i just went be feel, tighten the front guard screw good and tight using just a screw driver or Allen if that's the case, take the ammo you are most familiar with concerning accuracy, as for the rear guard screw I usually left it out, or just turn it in a few threads to keep it from falling out, then id shoot a group, I think you'll likely shoot the best group yet with that rifle, if that proves to be the case install the rear screw and snug it down shoot again, if the bedding is at fault your group is likely to not only open up but change point of impact, if the bedding is good point of impact won't change much, the crown may not be a issue, but I sure don't like the look of it, I'd recut it if were mine, if what I've described helps I'd glass bed the barrel and action, with upward pressure on the barrel,

The M700 Mtn Rifle in .280 is an extremely desirable rifle, with a very good aftermarket sales price.
You might consider not altering it in any way and selling it on an auction site if you want to just raise some money to chase down something else. If not, to preserve its value, I would encourage you to do nothing more to it than to get some professional bedding and crown work done, and maybe swap out the scope bases. Also consider swapping the scope, temporarily, for one that is on another of your rifles that you know shoots great. This will determine if it's a scope issue, which, I don't think anyone has mentioned, but is a very likely explanation for the problems you're having.

Good luck with it.
Rex

No, the older Remington actions were actually better, in a lot of people's minds. Does it have a jeweled bolt? That's also thought of as a mark of a better made bolt.

The BDL is the bottom metal - does yours have a hinged floor plate that you can unlatch and the rounds fall out the bottom? If so that is what is referred to as BDL.
Yes it has the jeweled bolt and the hinged floor plate

Thank you all for your recommendation. I think the best course at this point is to keep it original, get it to a competent smith and have them work some of the above. Also change out the scope bases and rings with something a bit more trustworthy. I'll report back any findings.

The first centerfire hunting rifle I bought for myself was an original M700 Mountain Rifle in .270, back about 1993 (used family rifles till then). It initially shot standard (factory loads) Hornady custom 130gr spire points into 1-1.25". I started handloading with that rifle, using new RP brass and 130gr BT and Partitions. Floated the barrel and saw consistent sub-MOA (.8ish) groups with the BT's, around 1" with Partitions. Had to work with 3-rd groups to accommodate the thin barrel. But, the rifle slayed numerous whitetail. Wish I had never let it go, always thought it would make a great re-barrel to 7x57 or .257 Roberts on the standard long action. OP, sounds like you have a solid plan to move forward with, don't see why the rifle won't respond with the current barrel still on it. I had a Leupold 3-9x33 lightweight compact scope on mine, If I still had it would probably have put a 3.5-10x40 Vari-XIII(VX3i today) on it by now.

I have 4 of these rifles in different calibers. 1 in 280 like this one. All shoot pretty well to exceptional. All under MOA with preferred loads but I do hand load for them. My 280 will put 3 139gr SST's in 3/4" easily. One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I do notice is that the lighter rifles are harder to shoot well. Not saying that you don't know what you are doing or anything like that, but with my Mtn rifles or my Kimber's either one I know that I have to pay particular attention to form and detail on my end. Way more so than with even a standard sporter weight. If it's a early 90's rifle it should have the walker style trigger in it which any gunsmith can make way sweet which should help.

I have a very similar Rem 700 in 30-06, although not the mountain rifle.

I had trouble at first. My dad shot it too, thinking it was me as a young shooter back then, similar result. Simply sanding the barrel channel in the stock to float the barrel resolved it for mine. Very minimal effort and may be worth a try.

If I went with a custom barrel I'd imagine I would need to modify or replace with a new stock as well as the original is mated to the skinny barrel. Not sure if there is enough room for a standard barrel on the stock
You can get a custom barrel turned to about any contour by the maker.

It does hold sentimental value. Don't think I'd ever sell it even as it stands. Will follow the above suggestions. Not sure if the mountain rifles were considered in the BDL line maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer this.

also as it's a "mountain rifle" were the actions made inferior than a standard Remington 700 action?
Remington used the same actions on all of their 700s made at that time. No, the action on the "700 Mountain Rifle" is no made inferior to any other 700 at that time. Jewel triggers are nice at the bench, but I'd not have one on a hunting rifle,,,, too fussy, not outdoor tolerant as those I mentioned.

Dropped it off at my local smith today he said the barrel was being pushed up too much sitting too high at the stock fore end. He's going to bed it and I think reduce the contact point in the stock. Also change out the trigger system to a timney. See where that goes.
I've never had a rifle with a free floated barrel and a glass bed job shoot above 1moa with quality ammo. I have a dream of a lightweight 280 AI in a greyboe trekker, 22-24" carbon barrel. Ill bet that your rifle will shoot lights out when you get it back from your smith. Good luck!

Dropped it off at my local smith today he said the barrel was being pushed up too much sitting too high at the stock fore end. He's going to bed it and I think reduce the contact point in the stock. Also change out the trigger system to a timney. See where that goes.

Nice! See if you can find some Hornady Precision Hunter ammo with the 150 ELDX. That might do well in your rifle, that bullet is a killer.

I'll bet you'll fall in love all over again when you get that oldie Goldie back!
Good choice to keep it original and give it a another chance!
Keep us posted!
Best of luck!!

Last edited: