What to do

Sir I would have a muzzle brake put on it. I have a bad should and everything rifle I've bought I had muzzle brakes installed on them do to a bad shoulder. A muzzle brake help improve accuracy I think with certain types of bullets and they enhance accuracy as you shoot

I think it will be cheaper for me to rebarrel and go with a different round that has better bullets since the 325wsm is dead and there is very few high bc bullets for the 8mm bore
I am a reloader but the turn of is the bullet selection for 8mm

If you got to Douglas barrel in cross lanes they will do you a great job they rebarrel and test fire it to your action I've built several rifles thier in the past and they do great jobs I even had one with a muzzle brake built thier and it does great . Kreiger barrels are one but you have to get the barrel and ten let a gunsmith install it . I often thought of wildcating a 8mm in a 378 weatherby case . Haven't maybe some day

That
If you got to Douglas barrel in cross lanes they will do you a great job they rebarrel and test fire it to your action I've built several rifles thier in the past and they do great jobs I even had one with a muzzle brake built thier and it does great . Kreiger barrels are one but you have to get the barrel and ten let a gunsmith install it . I often thought of wildcating a 8mm in a 378 weatherby case . Haven't maybe some day
That would be a wicked round for sure

Because the WSM line will not hold a candle to calibers like the 6.5 STW and 7mm STW PUSHING A 190gr Berger EOL at 3254 fps still not enough but next step would be my 30-378. The WSM will not push the heavier and longer projectiles like the full size magnum. Working on my 6.5 RUM now.

"will not hold a candle to..." Is that a technical phrase? I love the ballistics of the STWs without question and let's face it, it's due to the size of the case. Those that use the WSMs extensively already know that they are limited with heavier class bullets but the line is all about efficiency, which the WSMs have proven to be by way of ballistics, also.

Already have a 6.5 in a tikka t3x Lite my main hunting rig is a .280rem
The browning is a beautiful gun but the reason is the recoil local Smith said barrel is to skinny to thread for a muzzle break and won't touch It since I had him thread a 300wsm and the muzzle break blew off first shot and he replaced my barrel
I have a Browning A bolt LRH in 300 wm. It shoots lights out but also had the same nasty kick. On a successful Montana elk hunt I developed a leak (a red liquidy substance) between my eyes after I had shot my elk. I did a lot of research and discovered a gentleman who owns and operates Witt Machine & Tool Co. Long story short, you send him the diameter measurements of your barrel at your muzzle and 1 and 1/2 inches from the muzzle and he produces a custom clamp on brake for your rifle. These brakes are amazing. They will tame the beast and it will not affect the accuracy of your rifle. I have purchased 2 others and have been 100% satisfied.

I currently have a browning abolt white gold medallion
I currently have a browning abolt white gold medallion chambered in a 325wsm the gun is to light and the recoil is harsh

So I been pondering on the idea of do I sell the rifle and buy a donor action to build a lighter recoiling rifle
Or
Do I just rebarrel this one
The new rifle will be a around a short action and and hunting white tails and a coyote here and there

The 3 i been thing about would be a
25 sst
7ss
7ss max

chambered in a 325wsm the gun is to light and the recoil is harsh

So I been pondering on the idea of do I sell the rifle and buy a donor action to build a lighter recoiling rifle
Or
The new rifle will be a around a short action and and hunting white tails and a coyote here and there

25 sst
7ss
7ss max
Y

[QUOTE
you have a couple other options. As you said this rifle is for deer size game just download the 325. That will save recoil. You could also consider magnaporting the barrel. Doesn't hurt the aesthetics and calms recoil. Change the recoil pd. Try any or all of the above should help a lot.
="jbo829, post: 1627900, member: 102960"]I currently have a browning abolt white gold medallion chambered in a 325wsm the gun is to light and the recoil is harsh

Or

25 sst
7ss
7ss max[/QUOTE]

There are a few fairly easy things you could do and still keep the rifle as is. Load the 325 down some closer to 8x57 ballistics. Could have the barrel magnaported. That can be done on any profile barrel. Then change out the buttpad. Try any one or all. They should help.

I currently have a browning abolt white gold medallion chambered in a 325wsm the gun is to light and the recoil is harsh

Or

25 sst
7ss
7ss max

What was the gun bought for elk ?
.2506 .270 will do fine for what ever your hunting anyway bullet placement/ bullet choice is the key
Good hunting friend shot everything on this continent with a .308 Sako Lever

What's up guys. Gonna fast track this 7ss thread to 2021.

so I decided to graduate my 14 y/o daughter from her 16.5" 6.5CM up to something more worthy of elk. Decided on 22" Proof CF 6.5PRC Prefit for her SA Bighorn Origin. But now, with me going to the 7max in my LA, I may just bump her up to the 7SS and have her run some 140-150 class bullets till she puts a bit more weight on them bones. It'll be braked with an Area 419 Hellfire. We'll both be running 7mm bullets and probably the same powder as well. And she gets a pretty wide variety of bullet weights for the 7mm.

how's the recoil on a braked 7SS? Keep
in mind, she ain't no push over but we're talking about a 105lb 14 y/o. Lol

D929DCF0-08C7-494B-A552-A157DF1CBE1C.jpeg

4F7106A2-F8C5-486D-B2E1-80A16DA25B26.jpeg

What's up guys. Gonna fast track this 7ss thread to 2021.

so I decided to graduate my 14 y/o daughter from her 16.5" 6.5CM up to something more worthy of elk. Decided on 22" Proof CF 6.5PRC Prefit for her SA Bighorn Origin. But now, with me going to the 7max in my LA, I may just bump her up to the 7SS and have her run some 140-150 class bullets till she puts a bit more weight on them bones. It'll be braked with an Area 419 Hellfire. We'll both be running 7mm bullets and probably the same powder as well. And she gets a pretty wide variety of bullet weights for the 7mm.

how's the recoil on a braked 7SS? Keep
in mind, she ain't no push over but we're talking about a 105lb 14 y/o. Lol

View attachment 283989

View attachment 283990

She sure was having a good time, that smile says it all. With a brake you'll be able to load up some heavier bullets for elk and she won't feel it. Happy shooting!

Last edited: