What to do first???

Hell I might as well. What's another few hundred dollars when the wife is already mad.:D

I would go with what Kevin recommends. But here's my two cents.

Bed/float the action/barrel first. Second, with the factory barrel, I'd see if you couldn't get it polished, or consider Tubbs final finish. It brought groups in my Marlin 336 from 2.5" to 1.5" alone...I wouldn't do it in a custom barrel that Kevin recommends, but for a factory barrel it can make a significant difference.

Those two you can do for very cheap and in a short amount of time. Next would be trigger--jewell etc...

If you've saved the money by then for the new barrel, you have to let Kevin true the action and mount/crown the barrel--well worth the money if you can afford it...

Just my opinioin...

Matt

Is bedding the stock/action needed on a H.S. stock. Those guys said that it is not needed. Well I guess that is what anyone would say if they clam that there stock is drop-in with no modifacation needed.

Bed, Float, and adjust the trigger, good glass and you might be surpirsed.

This is what I would do. It could easily help you manage the pain of waiting. I learned to bed while waiting on the parts for a boomer. I had traded myself into a Remington 700 classic that had been cosmetically abused. with some scrap wood, epoxy, wood filler, and paint, I made a stock that looked something like an A5. (Looks pretty good from a few feet away) To my surprise, that rifle lays 180 gr bergers side by side. The stock trigger is no Jewel, but it did adjust well enough that I feel confident with it. My out of pocket, aside from the scope, was $75. I am happy enough with it that i decided i am just going to keep it that way and shoot it, putting my cash into something else.

Buy the parts you can Install and use right away and reuse when you finally have your work done.... I have found that my final project goals often change before I get done, and by getting parts i can use right off the bat, i research each part more and am happier in the long term with the build.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.