What to do with 280 Rem mountain rifle

I have a stainless mountain rifle (adl) in 30-06.

I bought an ultralight mpi hand laid stock blank with magnum cross pins that I inlet, finished and cera-coated. I put in alum pillars and glass bed (full free float on the barrel)-- timney trigger - had it threaded and installed a 4 port mbm brake. It weighs 91 ounces with out a scope.

It now shoots 3/4 moa-- but I can't shoot it "free recoil" like my std weight guns-- I have to use the "hard hold" method as it has considerable muzzle jump due to the light weight.

I started with leupy rings but with the recoil and muzzle jump on the light rifle my scope was moving in the rings so I upgraded the rings to seekins brand with a full length pic rail-- 20190920_090551.jpg- it's super light and handy in tight woods yet capable out to 600 yards or so

I'd strip it down to the action and throw everything else away. Then blueprint it, TriggerTech trigger, prefit Remage barrel and a Bell& Carlson stock with aluminum bedding block. Wood stocks cost more to bed and inlet than they're worth and factory triggers and barrels are junk straight up. Lipstick on a pig working with factory anything. I dropped lots of cash learning all this with a BDL.
First I replaced the stock, then trigger, then pic rail and rings, then a quality scope with repeatable turrets. Next up square and barrel so at least no money was wasted and I spread the expense out. Just a frustrating tedious ride doing it a part at a time.

Greetings first post in this well informed forum.

I have a Remington 700 mountain rifle in 280 REM. I've owned this rifle since new in 1991. My college grad gift to myself. Needless to say this rifle has always had less than spectacular accuracy and I've never felt comfortable taking shots over 150 yrds.
However, It's served me fine as an east coast whitetail rifle.

It's no longer my primary gun so I was thinking about trying to turn it into something a bit more accurate and useful. I'm nostalgic about the gun so I won't abandon it so looking for some ideas to make it more accurate but still in the vein of a mountain rifle.

All recommendations welcome for manufacturers etc. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to any gun customization so any ideas welcome. The gun is completely stock BTW. Thanks

What about bedding and floating the barrel? I've read these thin barrels don't do well free floating them.

Was thinking barrel swap getting rid of the 22" pencil barrel. Maybe turning it into a 280 AI (what would this entail)?

New stock

New trigger system

Also what about truing the receiver?

Or should I just put it back in the safe and retire it?
Leave it alone and give it to one of your kids or grand kids, if you don't have either of those give it to a friends kid! I think you need a custom action and there are several great ones, I have several Stiller Predator actions and have gotten along fine with them on my custom builds and I am sure everyone has a pick, get a great barrel ( 280AI is a great round to chamber for), trigger and stock. It is always fun to build a new custom rifle.

I have the same rifle It Is my Pronghorn rifle Anything out to 500 yds is not safe Using 145 gr Speer BT using 56 gr IMR 4350 You are right about the barrel not liking floating I tried it Had to put it back I was worried about the barrel heating up I shot 5 rds as fast as I could Then went and shot a three shot one hole group at 100 yds Best group the gun has ever done 1/2 to 3/4 inch is normal I would never change anything on mine

I would have tried the lightest bullet you could get in a factory load first, then replace the stock, and then the trigger. Older rifles don't have the twist for heavy bullets.

Keep us posted please.

Greetings first post in this well informed forum.

I have a Remington 700 mountain rifle in 280 REM. I've owned this rifle since new in 1991. My college grad gift to myself. Needless to say this rifle has always had less than spectacular accuracy and I've never felt comfortable taking shots over 150 yrds.
However, It's served me fine as an east coast whitetail rifle.

It's no longer my primary gun so I was thinking about trying to turn it into something a bit more accurate and useful. I'm nostalgic about the gun so I won't abandon it so looking for some ideas to make it more accurate but still in the vein of a mountain rifle.

All recommendations welcome for manufacturers etc. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to any gun customization so any ideas welcome. The gun is completely stock BTW. Thanks

What about bedding and floating the barrel? I've read these thin barrels don't do well free floating them.

Was thinking barrel swap getting rid of the 22" pencil barrel. Maybe turning it into a 280 AI (what would this entail)?

New stock

New trigger system

Also what about truing the receiver?

Or should I just put it back in the safe and retire it?
My .280 is very accurate (1/2MOA.) with 49.5 grains of IMR 4350 and the 168-grain bullet. It never was accurate with 4831. I think as a preliminary move the action should be bedded front and rear, free float the barrel too. (set close to the lands as possible and set minimum shoulder clearance)

I'd just like to close the loop on this old thread. The gunsmith (took them 6 months to get it finished up. floated the barrel, bedded the stock, cleaned up the end of the barrel crown installed a trigger tech trigger. It is shooting excellent now. 3/4 inch groups. I'm happy with how it's performing so I probably will just keep it in this mostly original state.

Last edited: