What to do with 280 Rem mountain rifle

I think putting a GREAT barrel on it, with a 1-7.5 to 1-8 barrel in the great old 280, along with bedding it along with a new trigger with a great optic on top might bring you alot of joy in using it. I wouldn't sweat a sweet build like that myself, any number of good smiths should be able to make that package sing!

I agree that you should work through this from the direction of least invasive/least expensive answers first, then head to the bigger fixes. I'd upgrade the bases/mounts, preform a thorough cleaning, then go shoot 3 groups through it.
If there is no change to the grouping I'd head to a smith for stock work or do that yourself. If you end up at the smith also ask them to take a look at the bore, crown, and bolt for possible contributing factors. If nothing is apparent then start with the work on the stock and go shoot some more groups. If you are still unhappy go back and get the action and barrel work done you would like. As much as I like the AI, in your case of not handloading I would stick with the more readily available 280 rem chambering. It really is a beautiful rifle with well placed sentiment. Don't sacrifice the sentiment to make another long range rifle in the safe.

Standard 280 is fine. No way would I rebarrel that rifle. Find some 140 Accubonds or similar load and shoot any elk that walked with it.

I'm guessing the bedding will make all the difference in the world. I had a newer 700 mountain rifle. You could rattle 10 rounds down the tube as fast as you wanted and it would hold sub MOA.

PERFECT !!,..
Good Bedding, Timney Trigger set, at 2 - 2.5 LBS and some good, Berger, 140 grain, Elite or, 168 gr. Classic Hunter, Boolitz,.. "Bingo" !
Probably get,.. Sub 3/4 MOA

Last edited:
280 Rem. is very capable for elk, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :) Mine has taken 2, 1 bull, 1 cow; both died right there. Mine has a Bartlein 1:9 twist and I shot 168 LRX and VLDs, respectively. Jewell triggers are great, even for hunting. No problems with those for me. I'm not sure what is available for factory ammo, but for handloading, the options are endless. Good luck and report back with how it goes for you.

It does hold sentimental value. Don't think I'd ever sell it even as it stands. Will follow the above suggestions. Not sure if the mountain rifles were considered in the BDL line maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer this.

also as it's a "mountain rifle" were the actions made inferior than a standard Remington 700 action?
Modern Remington 700's with the BDL designation have a hinged floor plate; ADL is the blind magazine.

Generally speaking, the DuPont made Remington firearms were better than the more recently made versions. DuPont sold Remington in 1993, making your 700 action more desirable.

Before bedding and floating, I would have the crown touched up. It looks pretty "fire-cracked" in the photo and crowning is basically a "non-invasive" procedure and can be done by any smith is a few minutes. Obviously, a trigger job and a deep bore cleaning will help any rifle in the accuracy area.

I shoot a Browning A-Bolt in 280 Rem as my primary hunting rifle for 10+ years, taken deer, elk, and sheep with it :). It's a great cartridge, but anymore you need to be a reloader to reap the benefits (factory ammo is tough to come by). I have fired some of the Remington Core-Lokt factory ammo and it was OK. The Nolser Trophy Grade with the 140 Accubond shot great, but it's since discontinued to my knowledge. Barnes also made ammo, not sure if they still do, shoots well also.

I reload and have great results with 140 Accubonds and 150 Swift Scirrocco (prefer the AB, they are less finicky IMO).

I have 3 700 mtn rifles, all dbm. First was a 270 bought used, had basically a solid rubber pad on the stock. It initially shoot fine but then didn't for some reason. I noticed the forearm would shift to one side when it was wet outside, turns out previous owner free floated the barrel and cut a channel out of forearm and epoxied a steel rod in it. I ended up bedding the whole action and barrel to the black forend tip. It's been shooting inch or less groups since. Scope is Leupold 3-9x40 in SK skulptured rings and bases. The other 2 are a 7mm-08 with the same butt pad as the 270, and a 280 rem with the packmayr recoil pad, so I assume it is a newer model than the others. These 2 are both stock. Working to get a load that works for the 280 at this time using Hammer 143 hunters.

I think you are on the right track, a decent bedding of the action and floating the barrel should improve things. I was considering taking the 280 to AI but changed my mind. I was under the impression that Remington sounds the 700 action for the mtn rifles to shave a little weight along with the slender stock and barrel. None of mine seem to care how much they are shot, I can shoot 3, wait a couple minutes and shoot 3 more with the same group for the most part. I think pillars and bed the action with free floated barrel and see how it shoots, if not satisfactory full bed the barrel.

I have no problem with using Leupold windage bases on these rifles.

Greetings first post in this well informed forum.

I have a Remington 700 mountain rifle in 280 REM. I've owned this rifle since new in 1991. My college grad gift to myself. Needless to say this rifle has always had less than spectacular accuracy and I've never felt comfortable taking shots over 150 yrds.
However, It's served me fine as an east coast whitetail rifle.

It's no longer my primary gun so I was thinking about trying to turn it into something a bit more accurate and useful. I'm nostalgic about the gun so I won't abandon it so looking for some ideas to make it more accurate but still in the vein of a mountain rifle.

All recommendations welcome for manufacturers etc. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to any gun customization so any ideas welcome. The gun is completely stock BTW. Thanks

What about bedding and floating the barrel? I've read these thin barrels don't do well free floating them.

Was thinking barrel swap getting rid of the 22" pencil barrel. Maybe turning it into a 280 AI (what would this entail)?

New stock

New trigger system

Also what about truing the receiver?

Or should I just put it back in the safe and retire it?
I had the same rifle and I converted it to a .280 AI. I got rid of the cheap factory stock for an HS Precision stock & changed the trigger. I put a 26" tube and had both the barrel and bolt fluted. Mine shoots a load of 63 grains of Retumbo with a 168 Berger Hunting bullet. Excellent accuracy with lights out performance from the Berger bullet! The DBM part never hindered my loading experience.

I agree that you should work through this from the direction of least invasive/least expensive answers first, then head to the bigger fixes. I'd upgrade the bases/mounts, preform a thorough cleaning, then go shoot 3 groups through it.
If there is no change to the grouping I'd head to a smith for stock work or do that yourself. If you end up at the smith also ask them to take a look at the bore, crown, and bolt for possible contributing factors. If nothing is apparent then start with the work on the stock and go shoot some more groups. If you are still unhappy go back and get the action and barrel work done you would like. As much as I like the AI, in your case of not handloading I would stick with the more readily available 280 rem chambering. It really is a beautiful rifle with well placed sentiment. Don't sacrifice the sentiment to make another long range rifle in the safe.
It's at the Smith. He's going to check all of the above. I ordered a picatiny scope mount system which I'll put on when I get it back from the bedding etc from the smith. I'm going to work this from least invasive to more as I go.

i have 700 stainless mt rifle 308 with hs stock floated same prob with accuracy been reloading for 40 yrs tried 125/165gr hor barnes rem cor look with 4064 imr sug wanted