What to do with 280 Rem mountain rifle

Does it string shots vertically? I had one in 7x57 and it was crazy unpredictable off a rest. Can't remember if it had the contact point in the barrel channel, but it was all over the place unless I rested it close to the action as possible. I put it in a McMillan and the stringing went away. Shot pretty tight three shot clover leaves maybe .75"-1".

Yes I just assumed back then I was a 20 yr old with no shooting skills. Now I'm older / wiser shoot better…..with exception of this gun 😂
you have virtually the same story same rifle as me. Back then I was in my 20s and never really needed to shoot much past 100yds hunting so to me the ol Rem700 shot great brand new. Reality is it didnt and it wasnt me.
Fast forards a few years ago really getting back into the rifle I wasnt happy with the grouping, once I had a smith bed and float the barrel my accuracy returned.

Was thinking of maybe making it into a AI. For western hunting. I was recently invited on a CO elk hunt last minute and found myself needing more cow bell.
Again, same story same rifle. That what Im doing with mine (currently im waiting on a new barrel). If you get the chamber reamed to AI it will also take out any existing carbon ring if you decide to keep the original barrel.

If I was going to want a the Ackley version, I'd start with a new barrel. Pillar bedding is the way to go when bedding, especially with a wood stock. And that pressure point in the barrel channel can be tricky to tune. Some shoot better without it, some just need the amount of upward pressure "tuned". A good trigger is a must. Jewel isn't a 'must have', as they are nice, but a Timney or Trigger Tech would suffice just fine on a hunting rifle. If a guy can't shoot a crisp 2 1/2lb trigger, it's probably NOT the triggers' fault. When installing a new custom barrel, have the lugs lapped, receiver face squared and the bolt face cleaned-up square. If you'd go with the 280AI I'd go with 23" for the barrel, minimum... 24" wouldn't hurt, but would ruin the lines of the light rifle. I see that you've tried the heavier factory ammo offerings. Try some 140g, if you can find any. Rem factory barrels of old were/are notorious for coppering up bad, and they were hammer forged which induces a lot of stress in the steel, which will cause the barrel to 'walk' its shots as it warms. A good custom barrel is hand lapped (which will greatly reduce copper fouling) and stress relieved. No comparison between a custom fit, custom made barrel and a Rem factory barrel.

Hate to say it... but that Leupold windage adjustable rear base is/was the cause of many accuracy headaches similar to what you are experiencing. I've found those to be the problem on several rifles that my buddies have complained about.
A lightweight mountain rifle can pack a recoil punch and shake some mounts loose.

I'd change that rear base to a Dual Dovetail base like the front and that would eliminate the mount question.

You've tried different ammo so I'm thinking to try this cheaper fix before spending too much elsewhere.
With that said... I still have a windage set on an old 700 270 Mountain, and it has always remained spot on although it's been in the safe for over 20 years now.

Perhaps try 140's. They seemed to be the preference for those older slower twist 280's.

Another thought... Many older rifles haven't been given a good barrel cleaning for a long time. Some have been brought back to life after a good bore and chamber scrub.

That old trigger can be tuned to be pretty dang good as well!

Last edited:
Does it string shots vertically? I had one in 7x57 and it was crazy unpredictable off a rest. Can't remember if it had the contact point in the barrel channel, but it was all over the place unless I rested it close to the action as possible. I put it in a McMillan and the stringing went away. Shot pretty tight three shot clover leaves maybe .75"-1".
No it's generally all over the place. I will try shooting with rest closer to the action. I did read bipods on this rifle don't go well together. So that may be the same effect you are taking about

Factory loaded 280 Rem is normally pretty mild.
Factory loaded 280 ackley is pretty tough to find.
Assume it is the BDL and not Remingtons attempt at a DBM?
If the rifle holds sentiment, I'd go with prior suggestions to have a gunsmith bed and free float the barreled action. Touch up crown if needed. Make sure mag box isn't bound up in the stock/action well. Change rings and bases to dual dovetail (if you want to keep Leupold mounts) or go simple with weaver style bases and rings. Or picatinny base and good rings.
Then maybe start with a custom ammo shop like Unknown Munitions on a sample pack, and then whichever load shows the most promise have them develop and tune loads to your rifle. Once you find a load then have them make several boxes and you're set.
Or if the rifle doesn't hold sentimental value, sell it (lots of guys here would like a rifle like yours) and buy something you'd like.

Again, same story same rifle. That what Im doing with mine (currently im waiting on a new barrel). If you get the chamber reamed to AI it will also take out any existing carbon ring if you decide to keep the original barrel.
What barrel did you end up going with. I was thinking 24" 1-8 twist with a muzzle brake. Kind of get outside the mountain rifle vein but id rather a couple extra oz for accuracy

If I was going to want a the Ackley version, I'd start with a new barrel. Pillar bedding is the way to go when bedding, especially with a wood stock. And that pressure point in the barrel channel can be tricky to tune. Some shoot better without it, some just need the amount of upward pressure "tuned". A good trigger is a must. Jewel isn't a 'must have', as they are nice, but a Timney or Trigger Tech would suffice just fine on a hunting rifle. If a guy can't shoot a crisp 2 1/2lb trigger, it's probably NOT the triggers' fault. When installing a new custom barrel, have the lugs lapped, receiver face squared and the bolt face cleaned-up square. If you'd go with the 280AI I'd go with 23" for the barrel, minimum... 24" wouldn't hurt, but would ruin the lines of the light rifle. I see that you've tried the heavier factory ammo offerings. Try some 140g, if you can find any. Rem factory barrels of old were/are notorious for coppering up bad, and they were hammer forged which induces a lot of stress in the steel, which will cause the barrel to 'walk' its shots as it warms. A good custom barrel is hand lapped (which will greatly reduce copper fouling) and stress relieved. No comparison between a custom fit, custom made barrel and a Rem factory barrel.
If I went with a custom barrel I'd imagine I would need to modify or replace with a new stock as well as the original is mated to the skinny barrel. Not sure if there is enough room for a standard barrel on the stock

Factory loaded 280 Rem is normally pretty mild.
Factory loaded 280 ackley is pretty tough to find.
Assume it is the BDL and not Remingtons attempt at a DBM?
If the rifle holds sentiment, I'd go with prior suggestions to have a gunsmith bed and free float the barreled action. Touch up crown if needed. Make sure mag box isn't bound up in the stock/action well. Change rings and bases to dual dovetail (if you want to keep Leupold mounts) or go simple with weaver style bases and rings. Or picatinny base and good rings.
Then maybe start with a custom ammo shop like Unknown Munitions on a sample pack, and then whichever load shows the most promise have them develop and tune loads to your rifle. Once you find a load then have them make several boxes and you're set.
Or if the rifle doesn't hold sentimental value, sell it (lots of guys here would like a rifle like yours) and buy something you'd like.
It does hold sentimental value. Don't think I'd ever sell it even as it stands. Will follow the above suggestions. Not sure if the mountain rifles were considered in the BDL line maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer this.

also as it's a "mountain rifle" were the actions made inferior than a standard Remington 700 action?

I think I'll spring for the jewel trigger while I'm there.

What barrel did you end up going with. I was thinking 24" 1-8 twist with a muzzle brake. Kind of get outside the mountain rifle vein but id rather a couple extra oz for accuracy
My rifle is still at the smith waiting on the barrel mfg currently it will be a Bartlien barrel. My caliber is different than yours, but Im getting the AI chamber, 26in with 1-7 twist.

It does hold sentimental value. Don't think I'd ever sell it even as it stands. Will follow the above suggestions. Not sure if the mountain rifles were considered in the BDL line maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer this.

also as it's a "mountain rifle" were the actions made inferior than a standard Remington 700 action?
We owned a matching set of 700 Mountain Drop Mag Rifles. one in 7mm08 and .243. Both shot hand loads at 1/2". Still have the .243 and wish I didn't sell the 7mm08. Sold it to a friend for his 12 year old son as a first Deer rifle. Rifle didn't have a scratch on it, looked like it came from the builder. Sold for $400 and gave the son a new leather sling. That boy's smile was priceless. Bet he never forgets that day. I sure won't!
To answer your question: 700 MT Rifles have very good Actions! The 700 MT rifles with Ebony front, checkered forearm and grip, Pachmayer Pad, and Matte or Blued Metal are beautiful looking and working rifles.

No, the older Remington actions were actually better, in a lot of people's minds. Does it have a jeweled bolt? That's also thought of as a mark of a better made bolt.

The BDL is the bottom metal - does yours have a hinged floor plate that you can unlatch and the rounds fall out the bottom? If so that is what is referred to as BDL.