What is your preferred scope magnifcation for 600 - 1000 yards?

Taller rings, say, high or super high may allow you to move the scope back a little further. You may also need to add a cheek pad after doing this to achieve a proper cheek weld.

Im sighting in a viper 6.5-20X44, yeah thats my point i would like to sight in at a lower power but would it effect me (zero) when i got out to say 500-700 and turn the power up to say 16 or so? thanks for the help guys sorry if they are dumb questions
It shouldn't make a difference. You won't know though till you try.

That is the reason I debate with myself between a 5.5-22 and a 3.5-15 Nightforce, I'd like the extra power, but when the shots get down to 50 yards or less, that min power becomes an issue
At 50 yards on deer or something larger I wouldn't even bother looking through the scope, just sight along the side of the barrel and shoot.

I need to mount a Monarch scope on a Savage 114 as back as far as possible so I don't have to crane forward very much to get a good sight picture. The front bell of the scope is the limiting factor. With Leupold 2 piece or even 1 piece, the scope ends up a few inches forward of where I'd like it to be.

Would a picatinny rail or something like that help mount it father back?

Is there another solution to make this work the way I want?
A rail mount would solve that for you. Fair warning though, if you get it too far back you'll end up with a half moon scar above your right eye.:)

If i'm shooting for load development or little spots such as clay targets @ 1000 yds, I want power; like 22x from my 5.5x22 NF. But, when hunting, I don't need as much; such as 10x from my 2.5-10NF. On Saturday, I was putting my rifle through a last minute acid test prior to our Utah elk season this Saturday. I was shooting an 8" plate @ 818 yds and 10x was just fine.

Alan

You will never find a better all around scope for these distances than a Schmidt and Bender classic 2.5-10 X 56.

You will never find a better all around scope for these distances than a Schmidt and Bender classic 2.5-10 X 56.
progress.gif

Though I am using a NF 2.5-10, I like the Schmidt Bender 3-12x42, as offered by Darrell Holland. His version has .25 MOA turrets and MOA reticle. I spoke with him about this scope last week, and am seriously considering selling my new-this-summer NF.

I'm a magnification whore. I like my 5-25's. I may not always need it, but its nice to have it when I do.

Here's a deer 945yds out at 25x.
scopezoom.jpg

More the merrier. Here is a photo of a target 1,000 yards away. Pic taken through a March 8-80 power adjusted to 80 power. After you get enough power the mirage disappears. From what I read it enlarges the mirage so much that you look in between the waves or something like that.

joseph

Attachments

• 8-80 March .jpg
    8-80 March .jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 184
More the merrier. Here is a photo of a target 1,000 yards away. Pic taken through a March 8-80 power adjusted to 80 power. After you get enough power the mirage disappears. From what I read it enlarges the mirage so much that you look in between the waves or something like that.

joseph

I am guessing that the target in the picture is not an official IBS 1000 yard target. They are 42x42, and appear bigger in my 42X nightforce's. This HAS to be a much smaller target. Yes??? No??

On another subject....I too, am a whore when it comes to magnification......BUT.....I will not give up to much when it comes to scope travel (ie..elevation). For extreme LR hunting, the 100 or so MOA with a 5.5-22 NSX is awsome. Give me the 42x magnification with the 100 MOA elevation adjustment. I think I would trade my first born for something like that!!! :D

Also, as far as "to much" magnification at short range when punching paper.....there is a reason that ALL of the point blank BR guys are shooting high power (35x, 40x, 45x..ect) scopes. There is also a reason why one of the BR classes restricts the scope to 6x. It is harder!!!! AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL!! lightbulb

Last edited:
The target looks square to me on top of a larger "white" paper. I'm not sure if the target is not regulation size.

joseph

What scope and what range are you sighting in?

At 100yds that bull's eye is going to be huge and if it's a lower end scope with questionable parallax adjustment it might not work out too well.

Zeroing at 100yds I generally find 10x or less to be more than adequate.
I like to go to a smaller bull at 100 yards with my 24x and 32x scopes-- say a 1/4" dot-- seems to do dang well if I do my part

I am guessing that the target in the picture is not an official IBS 1000 yard target. They are 42x42, and appear bigger in my 42X nightforce's. This HAS to be a much smaller target. Yes??? No??

On another subject....I too, am a whore when it comes to magnification......BUT.....I will not give up to much when it comes to scope travel (ie..elevation). For extreme LR hunting, the 100 or so MOA with a 5.5-22 NSX is awsome. Give me the 42x magnification with the 100 MOA elevation adjustment. I think I would trade my first born for something like that!!! :D

Also, as far as "to much" magnification at short range when punching paper.....there is a reason that ALL of the point blank BR guys are shooting high power (35x, 40x, 45x..ect) scopes. There is also a reason why one of the BR classes restricts the scope to 6x. It is harder!!!! AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL!! lightbulb

Take a look at this video where I got the photo at 80 power according to the guy shooting:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qtXpoObfM&feature=related]1000 yds Benchrest - YouTube[/ame]

joseph

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.