What is your best deer rifle

My old standby is a Ruger No1 in 6mm Remington. Backup is my old trusty Model 94 in 30-30. But now it seems my Grandson likes the Ruger, so might have to go back to my old Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. People keep telling me that the 6mm Remington isn't "powerful enough', but a lot of whitetails and mulies here in Nebraska will disagree.
Deer in Texas (I hunt a buddies place down there - longer season) are a lot smaller and the shots are 100 yards or closer, so I have been thinking of trying my Winchester 92 in 45 Colt

Waiting for mine to get here
240 weatherby
I recently purchased a 1982 version of a weatherby mark v deluxe chambered in 270 weatherby mag topped with 3x9x40 vx2. She was a safe queen with little use. I have a variety of rifles to choose from just cannot wait to check this one out.
IMG_0148.jpeg

Last edited:
Same boring old rifle/cartridge I was using when this thread was originated in 2016! Though will be using a different bullet this year….if we go deer hunting. Wyoming lost a huge percentage of it's deer population! ☹️ memtb

Same boring old rifle/cartridge I was using when this thread was originated in 2016! Though will be using a different bullet this year….if we go deer hunting. Wyoming lost a huge percentage of it's deer population! ☹️ memtb
That very sad too. I have seen this before, and it will happen again. A great number of years ago Colo had a problem there. If I recall they had figure out on how to feed the deer. I think it was pellets not hay or on that line. it will take some years to rebiuild the herds there. Me being with a lot of points there in Wy. I am beginning to think it isn't worst it. Being 75yrs old I am getting toward the end of my life. The point cost is very high in Wy. I have 13 deer and Elk points 8 Antelope point.
I just about not filling for any more and let the other drop. In Az they have made it really harder now. I stop there a few years back. loosing about 14 point in deer and antelope and elk.
If you are a young man it's a different story. I would go ahead and apply for points. At my age it's getting to be a point of no return.
It's really dishearting.

No problem here identifying that gun-I had it built in 1985 - Rem700 ADL - 280 AI barreled by Shilen #4 sporter is and old Brown Precision synthetic stock, not only deer, but elk and antelope also. I might need to thrash some pigs this year with it. My favorite load has been 60 grains of H1000 pushing a Nosler 160 Accubond, as hard as they have been to come by I might give the Hammer Hunters a try. I am also fond of my first center fire rifle, a Remington 700 BDL 270 Win that my parents got me for Christmas when I was a sophomore in high school in 1967- they paid $110 for it at Gibson's Discount, I did not get a scope for it until I graduated from high school and my aunt gave my dad $50 for a scope, he got me a used Weaver K 4- which I took apart to clean a year later because it looked dirty inside- dumb kid learns lesson on a gas filled scopes- it really fogged up in a snow storm on a NM deer hunt that year- shot a mule deer buck at 40 yards thru a peep hole sized opening in the scope- I traded that scope off on a Leupold 4X -
I found 4 boxes of Nosler 7mm 160 grain accubond this last week