What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

According to specs, the Zeiss Diavari 6-24x72 weighs 37.4 oz. Also according to specs, the Hensoldt 6-24x72 weighs 38.8 oz. Having handled and shot with the Hensoldt 6-24x72, I have no reason to believe for these figures to be inaccurate.
Man...did you come on the thread just to rain on my parade? Couldn't you have gone at least a little longer before you popped my bubble? Anything else? Optics flawed? Tracking screwed? Couldn't shoot the box if you prayed first? What else is wrong with the Optic of my lifetime?

Any other bad news? Did my dog die and I just haven't found out yet?

Sheesh - accurate information...what a wet blanket.

IMHO
YMMV

Last edited:
"According to specs, the Zeiss Diavari 6-24x72 weighs 37.4 oz. Also according to specs, the Hensoldt 6-24x72 weighs 38.8 oz. Having handled and shot with the Hensoldt 6-24x72, I have no reason to believe for these figures to be inaccurate."

I think you find all your high magnification big objective scopes are gonna be weighty. Thats a good thing, what with multiple large lenses inside you need some "meat" to hold everything together for a lifetime. I guess a little googleing might might point you to a Titanium made scope but you better have a lot more than $4K in your pocket. With the kinda change you want to drop definately find a disbributor that has a Hensoldt, a Zeiss, a Leica, a Swarovski, A schmidt bender, a US optics and a Premier, Thats a tall order for someone to have all of those but maybe a good shop will have some of those. A good shop with an Old Timer sales guy will have some great opinions and stories to tell. That is half the fun of shopping. Bring your rifle and pick out a couple of favorites and ask if you can gently set a scope on a set of rings. That will help you rule out any real problems. If your a serious buyer they will let you do that.

If I had $4k in my pocket and hit a top notch scope distributor I would be as excited as a kid going to Disney. Just have fun with it, I don't think you'll be dissappointed with any of the aforementioned scopes.

Q: whats the best sound of hunting season
A: the freezer door closing.

Klee

Couldn't you have gone at least a little longer before you popped my bubble? Anything else? Optics flawed? Tracking screwed? Couldn't shoot the box if you prayed first? What else is wrong with the Optic of my lifetime?

Nothing wrong with aluminum housing, in fact I would be suspicious of a scope company using steel at this time and age. ==> All mil-spec scopes are aluminum these days.

I wouldn't have butted into this discussion but I have experience with Hensoldts having owned them before, and I'm only waiting for them to fix a couple of minor issues before I make another purchase. A 4-16x56 with Gen2 MD and a S&B type double turn elevation turret ( but the height of a single turn turret ) , coupled with the durability of Nightforce would be the perfect optic for me.

I think any of the scopes that have been mentioned in this thread would make most anybody pleased but I think for my first top notch scope its going to be the tried and true S&B and I found out you can on special order, get it in second focal which is a big bonus as far as I am concerned.I have struggled over Hensoldts or s&b.maybe if I am lucky this time next year I will own both:rolleyes:
Wayne.

I am looking to buy a new scope for my new custom .264 win mag.I want the best money can buy period! I was thinking S&B or a premier? I would like somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5.5 or 6-25 for power. money is no object to a point $4000 or less,but if there is a scope out there just as good without the fancy name for less$ well ok but quailty is my main concern.100yds to 1200 yds and back to EXACT ZERO everytime!!! any suguestions from you big dogs out there would be great.:cool:
When it comes to quality, US Optics, Schmidt and Bender, Night Force, premier reticles, and the new vortex Razor are all on the same level.
the US Optics is the only one that can be custome built to order for the individual customer. So from my point of view, the US OPtics is the best in the world bar none.

My vote goes for a SB PMII. If you want to start in 5x to 25, then the 5-25 it is. I have used some of them for some years, under a good deal of conditions. Tough and repeatable, great glass.

Why do you want a second focal plane scope? A FFP will let you use the reticle marks without needing to worry about the power you are using-. I would recommend the P4fine reticle, you should be able to shoot well past 1200 yds. with it. This reticle covers 0,35 cm at 100 m, that is 3,5 cm at 1000.

My vote goes for a SB PMII. If you want to start in 5x to 25, then the 5-25 it is. I have used some of them for some years, under a good deal of conditions. Tough and repeatable, great glass.

Why do you want a second focal plane scope? A FFP will let you use the reticle marks without needing to worry about the power you are using-. I would recommend the P4fine reticle, you should be able to shoot well past 1200 yds. with it. This reticle covers 0,35 cm at 100 m, that is 3,5 cm at 1000.

I just purchased a S&B 5-25x56 pmII w/p4f I will let you know in a few days on my opinion.Anyways I thank all of you for your valuable input on my quest for a new scope.I certianly hope my next thread is as interesting as this one has been,again much thanks.
Wayne.:)

I just purchased a S&B 5-25x56 pmII w/p4f I will let you know in a few days on my opinion.Anyways I thank all of you for your valuable input on my quest for a new scope.I certianly hope my next thread is as interesting as this one has been,again much thanks.
Wayne.:)

If it doesn't work out for you I'll give you $500 bucks for it:D:D......Rich

guys as I have browsed through here I really havent seen much on the Ziess optics... I am rather amazed by this. I LOVED my Ziess diavari 6x24x56! It was super clear. Unforturnately I haven't had the chance to look through in NF optics, or any of the others than a couple leoupolds.

I compared a ziess to a swarovski a couple years later... don't remember which ones they were right now, they were both around $1600 but the ziess seemed to be a good bit clearer

Like all things , picking a scope is a compromise , you need to pick the model that comes closet to want you want in a scope , and how you will use it .

For me , I like to keep things as simple and error proof as I can , so for Tac & field shooting , I tend to favour Mil/Mil FFP scopes in the 3-15 0r 4-16x range with 50mm Objectives , so I donot stuff up the Elevation setting , I like single turn or double turn indicated , also I like a lot of elevation per turn , so other than the new NXS turrets ie 20moa & 10mil , that really only leaves the S&B PMII and the Premiers .

The Hensoldt does not have a zero stop turret or a turn indicator , maybe they will in the future .

USO are not in the same league as S&B or Premier , simply look at what shooters are actually using in the tac shoots , I find they are not as well made or have glass that is as good as the other top 2 , eye relief is also very very short around 2 inches .

I have used MK4s , USO SN3s , Premier & S&Bs , I have not used any NXS as they in my view did not have large enough range of adjustment in one turn as I wanted .

The scope I use the most & am most impressed with is the 4-16x50mm PMII , Mil/Mil , single turn with P4F reticle , quite simply this thing rocks .

The glass is not quite as good as the hensoldt , but as I said , you are picking a scope that has the best features overall , so on balance for me thats the PMII at the moment .

Later Chris

Last edited:
A point worth considering is the use and distance you are shooting at. I use a 42X for bench rest, a Leupold B+C for my quick mount 30-378 wby, a S&B x25 PMII for 1000yd and a NF 22 /32 for 1 mile. The S&B has best object and low light function and is great on the first turn. My only complaint is when you dial it up with a second turn, the markings are much more difficult to judge, and that is when you need the most accurate markings. Hence one may be off by 1/4 MOA and at 1 mile on the yellow markings this may result in a miss. Maybe somebody has a solutions to this?

I am looking to buy a new scope for my new custom .264 win mag.I want the best money can buy period! I was thinking S&B or a premier? I would like somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5.5 or 6-25 for power. money is no object to a point $4000 or less,but if there is a scope out there just as good without the fancy name for less$ well ok but quailty is my main concern.100yds to 1200 yds and back to EXACT ZERO everytime!!! any suguestions from you big dogs out there would be great.:cool:

S&B IMHO the PMll 5X25X56 is the best scope opticaly that I have ever used and the adjustments are precise and constantly repeatable. The NSX is repatable and reliable, just a notch behind S&B opticaly

Picture059.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.