What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

OK... back to the original post... which doesn't quite match the thread title.

Everyone comes at this question with their own unique priorities and wants.

This is Long Range Hunting and I assume this scope is for hunting unless otherwise stated. When I think of hunting, it includes a lot of rugged terrain and differing, sometimes extreme weather and enviromental conditions. Maybe that's not everyone's idea of hunting, but it is mine. I have fallen hard, twice now, on my scope in as many years in the field. Most recently, walking down a FS road with boiler plate ice covered over by about 1/2' of fresh snow. My feet went out and up from under me and I landed square on my rifle and scope (slung across my back) which landed on the hard as concrete, ice cover road.

If we were asking what the best LR paper target scope is, I would only be reading this thread and not posting in it. I would put a lot higher emphasis on glass quality and resolution than for a hunting scope. Interestingly enough, NF claims its scopes are used on more winning competive shooting rifles than any other scope, and I dont see that being disputed. For a hunting scope, you need enough resolution to shoot game at whatever distance you want to shoot it at and the longest recorded sniper kill was with a NF 5.5-22x50 at 2430 m, which is maybe about 2700 yds? That's far enough for me and I feel that I can easily use that scope set on 5.5x to hold on a deer size animal out to 1500 yds if I needed to.

I've read one member's assessment of Loopy glass being equal to NF glass and I'll have to take him at his word based on his experience. But sitting here in from of my monitor I have read many other reports that NF glass is superior to Loopy glass. I have only once or twice looked through a Loopy in the store, and not next to a NF. I have also read a whole lot more cases of Loopys being sent in for repairs than NF. Good CS is great, but I would rather not deal with CS at all. What I can say about NF glass is that it is excellent. I can count 30 cal bullet holes on a paper target at 427 yds on with my 5.5-22x50 NXS set on 22x. How far can one see 30 cal bullet holes with a Loopy, or a Zeiss or a high end Zeiss or a USO or a S&B, etc.? I can also see well past "legal shooting hours" with my NF and fairly good on 5.5x in good moonlight. If my hunting included hunting lions in moonlight, well then I would probably pick the S&B. If we're talking dark night conditions, it's time to break out the NV scopes.

I consider NF to be the starting rung in the high end scopes and for hunting purposes, the possible superiority of the glass of the other high end scopes is not needed - but if that's what turns you on, then go ahead and lay down the $$$.

Of higher prority to me than the very best glass is function and ruggedness. Back to zero everytime, even after you fall off your horse.

What scope tracks better than a NF? And what scope will track better than a NF 10 or 20 years after purchase and hunting?

What scope is as, or more rugged than a NF?

What scope can stand up to as much, or more recoil forces than a NF?

What scope can endure as much, or more enviromental extremes than a NF?

Yup, I'm a NF fan :)

In the end... to each his own.
No this scope will not be used for hunting it is simply a tool.I will use a leupold or night force or any of the multitude of scope I already own.I agree of the ruggedness,durability,and quality of nf.I am simply looking for the best piece of glasss on the market so I can clearly see and have supurb repeatabilty with it.As I said in earlier thread I live a little over a hour away from NF headquarters,and I do plan on buying more of them. I, like all of you build several rifles p/year It is my one and only hobby,I don't smoke,drink,vacation,I only shoot and hunt.I have approx 3000 acres of pasture/timber land in s.e washington state plenty of white tail mulies,elk,bears, cougars and ufortunatly now wolves I work @ a local ammunition factory as an electrician during the night and my two sons and I If not chasing cattle are hunting or long range shooting during the day.All the fancey scope is for is so I know what the rifle is truly capeable of, after all that if I miss Only I will be to blame not the gun.
Again many thanks.:)gun)

I am very glad I joined this forum,I only wish I would have known about it a few years ago.After working this thread and reading countless more of them on this site,and after only a few days I can see there is a vast amount of knowledge out here and I hope some of it rubbs off on me.I am a newbie to this site not a newbie to hunting and shooting.Hopefully I may be able to help some of you as much as you have helped me on this scope problem,utill a few days ago I didn't realize all the choices for optics there were out there.some people prefer dodge some ford or chevy and I can see its the same in the shooting world.Me I just like whatever works and works WELL!:)
Happy hunting, Bozo699.

No this scope will not be used for hunting it is simply a tool.I will use a leupold or night force or any of the multitude of scope I already own.I agree of the ruggedness,durability,and quality of nf.I am simply looking for the best piece of glasss on the market so I can clearly see and have supurb repeatabilty with it.As I said in earlier thread I live a little over a hour away from NF headquarters,and I do plan on buying more of them. I, like all of you build several rifles p/year It is my one and only hobby,I don't smoke,drink,vacation,I only shoot and hunt.I have approx 3000 acres of pasture/timber land in s.e washington state plenty of white tail mulies,elk,bears, cougars and ufortunatly now wolves I work @ a local ammunition factory as an electrician during the night and my two sons and I If not chasing cattle are hunting or long range shooting during the day.All the fancey scope is for is so I know what the rifle is truly capeable of, after all that if I miss Only I will be to blame not the gun.
I have always wanted to visit SE Washington!!! 30-338:rolleyes:

I've read one member's assessment of Loopy glass being equal to NF glass and I'll have to take him at his word based on his experience. But sitting here in from of my monitor I have read many other reports that NF glass is superior to Loopy glass.

I've looked through a lot a loopy scopes, all the way from the lowly Vari-X 1/Rifleman to the Flagship MK IV's and LPS's; they are not the equal of Nightforce in any category, especially not optically. However, that is what I observed. I will honor the poster who said loopy is equal to NF; he saw what he saw.

Boss Hoss still hasn't invited me to hunt (Sheeesh, how many subtle hints do I need to post?).

.All the fancey scope is for is so I know what the rifle is truly capeable of, after all that if I miss Only I will be to blame not the gun.
Hensoldt - steel turrets and scope tube, Zeiss glass; there is no better. The only drawback is the weight. But you have to expect that with the steel tube. Hensoldt was constructed for military use.

I saw this thread and couldn't resist. This is my first post as I am a new member. I joined because I to am in the market for a new long range capable scope. I am retiring my trusty Burris x6 that has been to hell and back over 17 years and has helped me kill a dozen elk. I don't even hesitate to take a 400 yard shot with my 7mm rem mag browning A-bolt with a sizzling 3400/sec 139 grain Nozzler. The scope and gun have NEVER failed to hold its zero even after countless crashes, falls and wet conditions. But my buddies are building a long range target course out to 1500 yards. So it's time to upgrade. I digress, this is about scopes. My life revolves around optics, not the rifle scope kind, but microscopes. Because of my exposure to the very best microscopes ever made down to classroom grade I can give some very good advise when it comes to optics. All optics have their own individual personality. Lay down 10 identical scopes of a certain brand and model and you will see differences in individual scopes. Trust me, I have seen this in all optics at any price, less so in the good stuff, but it's even more apparent in cheaper optics. In the few rifle scopes I have checked, a discerning eye will notice this to. Also a scope needs to fit the individual, it is a very personal thing (especially for the kinda money we are talking about). Even if the scope doesn't quite have the very best optics, if you fall in love with the scope you will probably shoot better. Because good shooting is about confidence over doubt. A bad day of shooting happens when your doubt overrides your confidence and vise versa. So look through as many scopes as you can get your hands on. Look through them after sunset and at noon, in cloudy weather, rainy weather, in moon light and I guarantee you will eventually find a scope that you flip over.

Personally I am looking at the Zeiss conquest 4.5x14 50mm ( very good comfortable optics for the money). S&B's that I have looked through are wonderful- the longer I looked through them the better I liked them. Of course there are the German optics which in my opinion are usually the best but not always the most comfortable to the eye, but sharp, sharp sharp. I may end up with a Nightforce as I am hell on wheels went it comes to rough hunting. I would dearly love to compare a Premier Heritage to all the above.

good luck and happy glassing

Klee

"The optics are protected by an extremely robust aluminum housing."

Hensoldt riflescopes brochure

Doesn't make them any worse though, quite the contrary in fact.

As for the best period, no such thing. Depends too much on your needs.

I'm searching for the steel tube reference. When I find it I'll post it along with calling Hensoldt tomorrow. The Zeiss V/VM 6-24x72 weighs 1/3 what the Hensoldt 6-24x72 weighs despite the two having identical exterior dimensions. That must be some THICK aluminum.

As for the best, of course there's such a thing, and you mentioned part of what makes up "the best." Your needs; there is a best for a given set of needs.

Last edited:
I saw this thread and couldn't resist. This is my first post as I am a new member.

Welcome to the board. Please feel free to chime in any time . The worst that can happen is a visit to your home...I appreciate your input 30-338

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.