What constitutes “inherently accurate “?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's some of you that are arguing against "inherently accurate" that don't quite know what "inherently" means.

inherently (adverb) - in a permanent, essential, or characteristic way.

It's that last one you all are missing..."characteristic".

Would you guys argue that a Ferrari is not inherently faster than a Silverado because there's a theoretical limit to how fast either can go based on e=mc2? Sure, the NASCAR trucks can outrun a 458 in a straight line, but that's not inherent. That's actually the opposite of inherent. It takes lots of time and money to change the inherent nature of the truck into something more like a Ferrari.

Some rifles are inherently accurate (good barrels, precise fitting). Some shooters are inherently accurate (good coordination, concentration, and eyesight). Some cartridges are inherently accurate (efficient, suitable for popular aerodynamic projectiles, etc).

4 pages of semantics and pedantry...

One vehicle was
Built with a better power to weight ratio. Pretty that alone
Is a character that makes it inherently faster by design

I have to say I have never used the term inherently accurate, instead I always used the term "BALANCED"! In my mind I have always looked at the 222 Remington as a very balanced round right along with the .308 Winchester, My meaning of balanced it that the round cal/, case capacity, primer type the shape of the case etc. all seem to lend themselves extremely well to a round that is very accurate. All the components that make up the round including the engineering/design make for a very "balanced round"!
YES I do know my examples all all long before the BR series of rounds came about and the word Creedmore was a place not a caliber, I hope I explained this in a manner that makes sense?
Karl

You can believe what you want, it doesn't make it true... or factual.

You say calibers, but I think you may mean cartridges?

I have several rifles, some of the same cartridge. Some of those rifles eat anything and shoot well, some rifles (same cartridge) are more finicky. My point here is I see your point as more about the rifle and the cartridge all together, more so than just the cartridge.

Please explain to me the use of a 30-30 bolt action in short range bench rest, and winning. 36 top 3 in 3 years, against cartridges others here have stated were "inherently accurate". Michael Turner was the guys name and he did it on a bet... and won. Allot.

I'm almost certain you and others "believe" the 30-30 to be NOT "inherently accurate"...

My point isn't that any one cartridge is better than another.

Cartridges are CHOSEN for specific tasks to be performed.
The fact that bench rest is dominated by 6mm and 6.5mm, isn't because of the cartridge, it's because of what the shooter and rifle can do with it because of an attribute. That attribute happens to be less recoil, with high velocity.

Really, it's not all fairy dust and unicorn farts.
Yet that's what some here seem to be buying into.

First off the 6.5mm cartridges dominate absolutely nothing in the benchrest world. And as far as Michael turner goes I don't recall his 30-30 shooting at the national level. It shoots well at the state level but he mostly shot his 30-30 in scoring matches and didn't do as well in the group shooting. That's why the 30br is popular. You might shoot an x with the 30br but just a 10 with the 6br simply bc of the bigger diameter bullet. The 30 cal has a advantage when shooting for score..... not so much when shooting for group.

Last edited:
Maybe your Smith screwed up your barrel. A lot of problems get blamed on barrels when in reality it was the work done to the barrel.
My smith does amazing work of the highest quality, and every rifle I've owned that left his shop after work has been extremely accurate.

The rifle with a crap barrel was a factory Weatherby Accumark .257 Wby.

I think there are folks missing my point.
My point was to contrast what others thought of as an "inherently accurate cartridge" with one that is definitely not known for being inherently accurate anything.
Also, that accuracy is more than a cartridge, as others here have said and explained.

You're missing my point.
My point was to contrast what others thought of as an "inherently accurate cartridge" with one that is definitely not known for being inherently accurate anything.
Also, that accuracy is more than a cartridge, as others here have said and explained.

No doubt the cartridge can't be accurate without a barrel and likewise the other way around but the original post was just asking about cartridges... not barrels or rifles.

Reading this thread I can't help but wonder.
If there's 100 people sitting at 100 benches in a 100 bench rest compilations and there all shooting a 6 br or a 6 dasher wouldn't the law of probability say that one of them would win

So what's inherently accurate about that If they shot the same cartridge on different platforms

Seems simple to me but that's just opinion

No doubt the cartridge can't be accurate without a barrel and likewise the other way around but the original post was just asking about cartridges... not barrels or rifles.

And again, for accuracy to exist, the attributes of all parts, pieces and components must come together in a (for lack of a better word) symbiotic way.

A cartridge, by itself can't be construed as accurate. It can only have the attributes of accuracy, which are interdependent on everything else working with those attributes.

Reading this thread I can't help but wonder.
If there's 100 people sitting at 100 benches in a 100 bench rest compilations and there all shooting a 6 br or a 6 dasher wouldn't the law of probability say that one of them would win

So what's inherently accurate about that If they shot the same cartridge on different platforms

Seems simple to me but that's just opinion

Correct but you have to look at why everyone is shooting those cartridges. It's bc with anything else it's hard to be competitive, esp at the national level. Why spend the money and time to not be competitive?

......Correct but you have to look at why everyone is shooting those cartridges. It's bc with anything else it's hard to be competitive, esp at the national level. Why spend the money and time to not be competitive?...........

Even if the advantage isn't "inherent accuracy" it's something. Swimming against the tide is generally something one should do after attaining the top tier of competition.

And again, for accuracy to exist, the attributes of all parts, pieces and components must come together in a (for lack of a better word) symbiotic way.

A cartridge, by itself can't be construed as accurate. It can only have the attributes of accuracy, which are interdependent on everything else working with those attributes.

I will say it again. With everything being the same.. the barrels stocks triggers gun smiths optics and everything else except cartridges the 6br and 6ppc family of Cases there
Cartridges will most like be more Accurate than say a 30-06 or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.