What constitutes “inherently accurate “?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you are saying, I just have a different point of view. Again, all cartridges still require some load development. Now, some of the 6br cartridges are very accurate but because of the quality barrels made for them, if it wasn't for those hogh quality barrells they provably won't shoot as good.

We just have different opinions, heck we both might be wrong.

Everything being equal. Same smith same action same barrel and contour the 6 dasher will most likely be more accurate than a 7mm mag. Because..... the dasher is inherently accurate

I think there is a pressure node and accuracy node for most cartridges at 2600-2800 fps and 22-24" barrels. So a cartridge that max's out there ( Boring) could be said to be inherently accurate because it doesn't take the fine tuning of a Ferrari.

Stretch performance boundaries and you will have to find or create the right balance.

Unless it is a 400gr slug, it has no business only doing 2600fps!

OK haters- begin.

Barrels make the accuracy, bullets just help- some barrels just shoot good regardless of caliber. 6 mm seems to take the lead for popularity among bench rest guys but I have had my butt kicked many times by a 6.5x47 Lapua.

Features of inherently accurate cartridges include:
Short, fat powder column in a slightly-tapered case.
Case capacity near 100% fill with typical loads.
Headspace off steep-angled shoulder.
Long (caliber plus) neck for concentricity.
No rebated head or belt if feeding from a mag.
Shorter case length for long-for-caliber bullets without deep seating while still feeding from magazine.
Topped with longer, narrower, high-SD bullets with good BC that are still light enough to shoot without recoil affecting accuracy.

Now, my 7RM is none of these but is still accurate - though load development and brass prep are much more involved than with my 6.5CM - which is as accurate with (some) factory ammo.

So, yes, a carefully made cartridge firing a modern bullet can be accurate even without featuring any of the engineering solutions incorporated in modern cartridge designs - the designs that are used most successfully in competitions where every advantage helps win. These modern designs can be fairly described as inherently accurate as they incorporate solutions that inmprove accuracy over conventional designs.

Last edited:
That is not a fair comparison (7 mag to 6 Dasher). Part of the inherent equation is a shorter stiffer action. Optimum shoulder angle and depth to maximize centricity. Optimum combustion chamber to maximize consistent powder burn and gas expansion to with the most modern powders matched with the newer more efficient, best machined ever bullets. Also minimal recoil and minimal throat erosion. Even over the course of one match less erosion is more consistent harmonics. The fact that any newer cases are breaking records is irrelevant. Bullets, barrels, optics, triggers, ballistic programs, powders, primers, and so on are seeing improvements every day. If records were not being broken often, what a poor reflection it would be on todays shooters. It is component related. If the 6mm BR for example is the winning formulas as most inherently accurate, shouldn't you then be able to scale that out to whatever bore you wanted and have all of the inherent ratios out to whatever bore you wish? Thank God I don't shoot competitively! I don't even care and I'll be up all night thinking about this.

Every game has it's rules. Those rules usually lead to equipment optimal for that competition. Eventually it ends with most using nearly identical equipment. Not surprisingly then the records will reflect what everyone is using.
McMillan had a record that stood for 40 years, everyone has a wallet target. Some days the magic works, some days it doesn't.

Hey mud,
I wish you would dig that milspec 300wm out of ur gunsafe and find the worst scatter node with it then do the same with ur 308 then let us know which shoots worse.
Whichever shoots least worse is the more inherently accurate cartridge imo
Lol couldn't resist

Every game has it's rules. Those rules usually lead to equipment optimal for that competition. Eventually it ends with most using nearly identical equipment. Not surprisingly then the records will reflect what everyone is using.
McMillan had a record that stood for 40 years, everyone has a wallet target. Some days the magic works, some days it doesn't.

Mostly true. But how many years did the 308 rule the benchrest world and have all that time to set records? The 6 dasher alone has destroyed those records in a very short time frame comparatively. My point is that the calibers that are winning are all almost identical while the actions barrels stocks optics and smiths doing the work are all different.

Barrels make the accuracy, bullets just help- some barrels just shoot good regardless of caliber. 6 mm seems to take the lead for popularity among bench rest guys but I have had my butt kicked many times by a 6.5x47 Lapua.

The gunsmith makes the accuracy more so than the barrel. IMO

Hey mud,
I wish you would dig that milspec 300wm out of ur gunsafe and find the worst scatter node with it then do the same with ur 308 then let us know which shoots worse.
Whichever shoots least worse is the more inherently accurate cartridge imo
Lol couldn't resist
Haha! Both shoot good...I don't own inaccurate guns. If they're a dud, the get broken-down and repurposed into something else with a new barrel and a blueprinted action. Life's too short to have inaccurate guns, slow cars, and ugly women. ;)

That's about as accurate of an assessment as the people who claim "inherent accuracy" actually exists. Someone has a couple rifles chambered for the same cartridge, and they've been shooting it for years, and are VERY comfortable shooting it. And they all happen to be middle-week factory builds, so they shoot good, and then they proudly proclaim it to be an "inherently accurate cartridge" based on design. Then they get something else in a different cartridge, and the rifle happens to be a dud that was built on Monday morning or Friday afternoon, and then all of a sudden, it must not be an "inherently accurate" cartridge like the other ones were... :rolleyes:

When in reality, it was the rifle, and or, the different chambering they weren't as comfortable with shooting, like the others, or the rifle itself was a ***, but it's much easier to blame the cartridge and not their own shortcomings, or any of the MANY other other external factors that play into the equation known as "accuracy".

"Inherently Accurate" has become a MARKETING Catch phrase in the gun community.
Sorry. Nothing more.
If that disappoints you, makes you angry and wanna stomp your feet,
Go ahead.
Get it out of your system.

If you're drinking the kool aid, you believe something a salesperson told you, you don't know enough about rifles, cartridges, etc to DISPROVE it, so your brain rationalizes it must be true!!

Sorry. Not true.
Neither was the "Belted Magnum" hogwash... but yet we all like to get a giggle out of the people who fall for this crap.

Eh, well. No skin in this game, so I'll leave you to it.

Where's that popcorn?....

"Inherently Accurate" has become a MARKETING Catch phrase in the gun community.
Sorry. Nothing more.
If that disappoints you, makes you angry and wanna stomp your feet,
Go ahead.
Get it out of your system.

If you're drinking the kool aid, you believe something a salesperson told you, you don't know enough about rifles, cartridges, etc to DISPROVE it, so your brain rationalizes it must be true!!

Sorry. Not true.
Neither was the "Belted Magnum" hogwash... but yet we all like to get a giggle out of the people who fall for this crap.

Eh, well. No skin in this game, so I'll leave you to it.

Where's that popcorn?....

Hwre you go while they post the GIF one thats better
Screenshot_2019-07-29-15-47-01-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts