What constitutes a "FULL" custom rifle build? ...

FEENIX

"My" take on "FULL" custom build starts with an after market custom action (BHA, Stiller, Defiance, Bat Machine, etc) and custom components. Custom build/customized build is with donor action from major rifle manufacturer (Remington, Savage, Howa, Tikka, etc). I understand that accuracy is dependent of how and who build the rifle. Just asking for a short and sweet definition. Flame away! :D

Last edited:
For me, a full custom build is me choosing each and every component myself and having the rifle built to my specs, by a very competent gunsmith. This would mean an aftermarket action, that has been built to the very highest of tolerances. The barrel length, contour, twist rate and manufacturer are are all decided by me. Aftermarket trigger of my choosing set to my pull weight specs. The components are then bedded into a stock that is of my choosing and is custom fit to my length of pull.

A custom rifle is one that's already assembled with higher end components and ready for purchase, or ready to be assembled. You may get a couple different choices of barrels, triggers and stocks but it's not custom fit for your length of pull.

Semi-custom is the factory action that has been trued up with an aftermarket barrel installed. Possibly an aftermarket stock and trigger installed as well.

It's like having a custom suit fully tailored specifically to fit me. The tailor measures you then builds the suit around you using only the very finest of materials.
A custom is a nice suit, made of fine materials that you purchase off the rack from a high end retailer that fits OK but doesn't quite fit as good as the tailor made suit. The arms might be a wee bit long/short and or pants need to be hemmed. You will be able to choose between colors.
Then there's the suit that you can buy from Sears ect. These will work just fine to get the job done but will never fit/feel like a "custom".

After paying for it I feel like my rebarrelled vanguard is pretty much a full custom lol
Timney trigger
Boyd stock
Proof barrel
Pt&g bottom metal
New action screws
The only thing left is the action which was fully trued and while it's not a custom action, it does everything any custom action does.

Last edited:
My long answer....

Full custom (in my opinion) includes custom everything, such as:

Stiller TAC Action
Stiller CIP DBM
Proof Carbon Barrel
Terminator T3 brake
Manners EH1-A in Elite GAP camo
Triggertech Diamond

Where as a "semi custom" could have all the same components, except a Trued Remington 700 action (or other production action). The action very likely will not be as nice as the custom aftermarket actions such as stated above, unless a LOT of work is done to them. Work such as a good true job, properly timed fluted bolt with m16 or similar extractor, bolt is fitted or sleeved to the action, firing pin has been bushed, #8 screws and a pinned rail, pinned recoil lug, side bolt release, extended ejection port, and opened up to accept extended bottom metal. This is pretty much all stuff that is considered "standard" on a custom action, and generally does not need to be done to any of the customs. So if that work wasn't done to your action, then I PERSONALLY don't feel like it is actually a "full" custom. And even if it was, it is still only modifications made to a production action.

My rifles are mostly semi customs. Remington actions that have extended bolt knobs and true jobs, possibly bolt fluting and an extractor installed, and that is about it. Everything else aftermarket. Not saying that they can't be as accurate as full customs, but simply put, they aren't as nice. My primers on my rem 700 .260 AI are significantly cratered even with low pressure loads due to a very sloppy firing pin hole that needs bushed, for example. Once I get that fixed, I will have about as much $$ into that action as I would have on an entry level custom action. On the Stiller build I put together, nothing like that was present, and it was much smoother overall, nothing needed done.

My short answer....

This is mostly semantics, but in my opinion, a "Full Custom" is exactly that, EVERY component is a FULL custom part, not a modified production part. Everything else falls into a much wider range, from someone that has simply replaced a trigger to everything is aftermarket except the action.

"My" take on "FULL" custom build starts with an after market custom action (BHA, Stiller, Defiance, Bat Machine, etc) and custom components. Custom build/customized build is with donor action from major rifle manufacturer (Remington, Savage, Howa, Tikka, etc). I understand that accuracy is dependent of how and who build the rifle. Just asking for a short and sweet definition. Flame away! :D
Ditto.

A full custom is selecting every individual component and finish for a gun. Then assembled with an artisan process.

Factory action or not. Action types are design variations only, and even the boutique outfits could be argued to have varying quality.

Take the sticks out of your butts on the "custom" action thing.

Last edited:
Not all "custom" actions are created equal, but the "good ones" are always going to be better than a mass produced factory rifle action no matter how much truing and work is done. This does not, by any means, mean you can not build an exceptional rifle in a semi custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.