What cartridge?

I assume this will be suppressed? That's plays big here. If it's suppressed then you get a 308/6.5/7-08/260 because you put 400yards as the limit.
Also if it's not suppressed what exactly is the point of such a short barrel? I can't think of a time when getting my Marlin or old 270 with a 22" barrel into battery was the issue, but 26" 7RM or muzzleloader heck yeah those have hung me up before in the woods.

If it is indeed not suppressed then I go to the Grendel/ARC without question and put in a 300yards limit because the muzzle blast on the 308 base cartridges will suck.

.277 GPC is an AI version of the 6.8 SPC, it cannot be grouped with the Fury/6.8x51
Yep, the .27 GPC is 6.8 SPC with a 30-degree shoulder angle (unlike the Ackley with a 40-degree shoulder angle), and some of the taper is relieved. The estimated gain is 1.5-2g from its parent case. MDWS has a very nice GPC lineup. Not that I need another built, but the .22 GPC is very tempting.
1708610092478.png

Last edited:
I assume this will be suppressed? That's plays big here. If it's suppressed then you get a 308/6.5/7-08/260 because you put 400yards as the limit.
Also if it's not suppressed what exactly is the point of such a short barrel? I can't think of a time when getting my Marlin or old 270 with a 22" barrel into battery was the issue, but 26" 7RM or muzzleloader heck yeah those have hung me up before in the woods.

If it is indeed not suppressed then I go to the Grendel/ARC without question and put in a 300yards limit because the muzzle blast on the 308 base cartridges will suck.

Why is there a 300 yard limit on a suppressed ARC? but not unsuppressed? That makes zero sense. Mine is 450fps over the minimum expansion velocity at 400 yards and has enough energy for deer according to fuddlore from an 18" gas gun.

Wanting a 16.1 inch light bolt deer rifle. What is the most efficient caliber? 6 ARC? 8.6 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel or the ol standard 308.
Under 400 yards.
I hand load. Looking for easy carry light recoil.
7MM-08 is perfect for this purpose of use. It has plenty of power for even big deer, based on the 308 case, of course, but with better ballistics. Tons of high-BC great bullet choices, and even though you handload, there are many great factory ammo options as well. There are also many handle recipes available. It is an efficient cartridge, works perfectly in a short action, and very easily, as it is very forgiving. You could not do better than this cartridge for this use.

Wanting a 16.1 inch light bolt deer rifle. What is the most efficient caliber? 6 ARC? 8.6 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel or the ol standard 308.
Under 400 yards.
What is your definition of "light"? If you're used to a 10lb rig and 7lbs is light then lots of these options are viable. If it's 5lbs completely different story.
My 18" 6ARC gas gun with factory 103gr ELDX is going 2050fps with 960ftlbs at 400 yards, that's more than efficient for deer. You'll probably see close to the same velocity from a 16" bolt gun depending on the barrel. I'd 100% go with an ARC over the other options if you want light and low recoil. The Ruger gen 2 ranch should be hitting shelves soon in 6ARC too.
This is the way! I have a 20" 6mm ARC gas gun that's a dream to shoot. I just got a Howa mini to build a 6mm ARC walking rifle for deer, coyotes, etc. I'll keep the barrel a little bit longer but 16.1" would be fine too. 5lbs while still shootable is doable. Plenty of cartridge to 400yds and well beyond on deer.

Last edited:
Under 400 yards.
We've covered everything from .223 to .30-06 here!

Any further considerations from the OP?

What do you consider a light rifle?
How much recoil are you willing to put up with?
Is 22cal legal in your state?

I love these threads. Pretty much just turns into a list of every commercial and wildcat cartridge there is and why each one is perfect solution 😂

Under 400 yards.
I love the 6ARC but so don't feel it will get you to 400 with the velocities out of a 16" barrel. 6CM might.

I love the 6ARC but so don't feel it will get you to 400 with the velocities out of a 16" barrel. 6CM might.
Good call. Some quick data I dug up. Obviously it depends on bullet of choice and min velocity for its performance.

This is Hornady's barrel length/velocity chart
and a 4dof screenshot 108gr ELD-M at 2350 MV

2350MV is pretty conservative. At 1600 min velocity for expansion on ELDs, I think 400 is doable.
IMG_2177.jpeg
IMG_2178.png

If you are handloading in a bolt gun, 6mm ARC speeds of 2650fps are attainable with a 16.1" barrel and the 103 ELD-X. Still over 2000fps at 400yds. Your 1600fps cutoff takes it to 700yds. I wouldn't push it to that on deer with only 586ft/lbs energy but the bullet should up open to that distance. A little more barrel would be better still.

6mm ARC 4DOF.jpg

6mm ARC 16.1.jpg

Good call. Some quick data I dug up. Obviously it depends on bullet of choice and min velocity for its performance.

This is Hornady's barrel length/velocity chart
and a 4dof screenshot 108gr ELD-M at 2350 MV

2350MV is pretty conservative. At 1600 min velocity for expansion on ELDs, I think 400 is doable.
View attachment 546249View attachment 546250

Last edited: