What caliber???

Give Melvin Forbes a call at New Ultra Light Arms, light rifles are his specialty...I would be looking at one of his Model 24 rifles in 280 or 280 AI !

I'm working on putting together an ultra lite platform that still has performance, the 6 lb mark with optic is hard to hit without serious $$$! So far these are the components I'm going to use without going exotic, Pierce Titanium action, McMillan hunter edge stock and a fluted #3 barrel at 22 inches. I'll chamber in the 6.5 SS which will run the 140 Berger easily over 3000 fps with a short barrel and cycle through a short action easily, no brake required. Undecided on optic but I should be at 6.5 lbs fully loaded and hunting.

Platform option #2 is to buy a Savage ultralite which comes in at 5.5 lbs, run a 6.5 SS chamber reamer into at 6.5 Creedmore and SHAZAM and ultra light with performance for under a grand lightbulb

Platform option #2 is to buy a Savage ultralite which comes in at 5.5 lbs, run a 6.5 SS chamber reamer into at 6.5 Creedmore and SHAZAM and ultra light with performance for under a grand lightbulb

Best suggestion yet. Almost makes me want to do it.

You also have to change the bolt on the Creedmore to 6.5 SS. I am not sure what that costs, but a new bolt head/bolt should not be much.

Actually the 6.5 SS was what I was going to suggest.

I have a Savage 12 in .243 and when the barrel goes, I will probably rebarrel with 6.5 Creedmore and go to the 6.5 SS if I hunt with a grandson.

Hey everyone
I'm looking at building a lightweight sheep/goat gun with the occasional elk.
Anyhow I'm hoping it will be 6 lbs with the scope and sling I'm just not sure what to build I've been thinking a 6.5x284 but recently stumbled across the 26 nosler and like the ballistic numbers they claim.
Anyhow I'm just wondering everyone's opinion on these or other calibers that will work max shooting probably to +/- 700 yards
Thanks

More fuel for the fire... 6.5 Remington Mag 26" in a Rem 700 LA which is the action length I like for that cartridge, or SA if your not going too use longer bullets seating them out a bit, either way it's great cartridge in 6.5 cal

Just my pick.

More fuel for the fire... 6.5 Remington Mag 26" in a Rem 700 LA which is the action length I like for that cartridge, or SA if your not going too use longer bullets seating them out a bit, either way it's great cartridge in 6.5 cal

Just my pick.

Exactly what I did, took a 300 Win Mag Tikka removed the barrel and installed a 6.5 #2 Shilen barrel chambered in 6.5 Rem Mag at 25". Problem was it would shoot the 140 Bergers 2-3" at 100yds , I believe the barrel had too much whip. I had it cut back to 23" and put 55 gr Norma MRP and now it shoots the 140 Bergers at around 1/2" but it still is not a real light rifle at about 7 1/2 lbs scoped. the 140 Bergers are going 2850 fps
Speed has nothing to do with accuracy.

My plan for another rifle was to put a #2b 284 Bartlein on a light weight Rem 700 La for a 280 but turns out the 2b contour is heavier than my #3 Pacnor barrel and the barrel channel is already maxed out in the McMillan Mtn stock. Really bums me out as this was going to be my switch barrel 338/06-280 Rem do all point blank (<300 yds) hunting rifle.

I'm liking my 280ai so far I just started doing load development for it but so far I'm pushing a 140 grain just over 3000 fps but I need to start with seating depth because it's still shooting 1 Moa and I'm hoping to get it under closer to 1/2 Moa
This new rifle is something that I can load a lighter round for my wife and kids to shoot (when the boys are old enough) and something I can hop up and use for coyotes to sheep to the occasional elk
If you know how to form your own brass, then a 6.5 Sherman would be an awesome addition, and for your sheep/lope rifle.

Exactly what I did, took a 300 Win Mag Tikka removed the barrel and installed a 6.5 #2 Shilen barrel chambered in 6.5 Rem Mag at 25". Problem was it would shoot the 140 Bergers 2-3" at 100yds , I believe the barrel had too much whip. I had it cut back to 23" and put 55 gr Norma MRP and now it shoots the 140 Bergers at around 1/2" but it still is not a real light rifle at about 7 1/2 lbs scoped. the 140 Bergers are going 2850 fps
Speed has nothing to do with accuracy.

My plan for another rifle was to put a #2b 284 Bartlein on a light weight Rem 700 La for a 280 but turns out the 2b contour is heavier than my #3 Pacnor barrel and the barrel channel is already maxed out in the McMillan Mtn stock. Really bums me out as this was going to be my switch barrel 338/06-280 Rem do all point blank (<300 yds) hunting rifle.

What was the twist on your 6.5 Rem Mag? I've shot a couple in... 24" hunting weight or standard sporter and one in 26" also standard both shot great. As for accuracy and performance, it showed some great stuff at 1K easily keeping neck and neck with a friends 6.5 on 7 RSAUM near the same cartridge, I personnel saw the 6.5 Rem Mag besting it. The 6.5 Polygonal 1- 8" twist was great in the 26" I also thought a 28" 6.5 Rem Mag for some LR work would have been perfect storm for a 6.5 rifle.

Cheer's

My 6.5 Rem Mag is a 1-9 twist, it will not keep up with my 7 SAUM shooting the 180's but then my SAUM weighs 10lbs scoped and has a Stiller action.
I had been wanting a 6.5 rem mag for a long time. I did have a 7mm/6.5 Rem Mag that shot very well, a Harvey something or other, that shot well but not heavy bullets.

I forgot to mention that 7mm Mud

You can certainly run a 140gr bullet 3000 out of a 6.5/284, and kill pretty much anything you can hit at 700 yards, if you like that caliber. I run mine a bit slower because it groups best at 2875. It also weighs 13 pounds all up, and is very pleasant to shoot as a result. I doubt I'd like it at all at half the weight. It has been said before: the lightweight rifle has the advantage of light weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle. If you must run light, three things to consider:
1. Brake
2. Limbsaver
3. Dead Mule

4. Tylenol...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.