What caliber???

What the issue with barrel life how long does it last
My thought is if it shoots 500 round and I shoot fifty rounds a year that'll last 10 yrs
So why will this go through barrels so badly and a 270 wsm shooting about the same doesn't

My thought is if it shoots 500 round and I shoot fifty rounds a year that'll last 10 yrs
So why will this go through barrels so badly and a 270 wsm shooting about the same doesn't
Bore diameter vs case capacity. The smaller the bore, the more concentrated the flame is on the throat and barrel. And the bigger the case, the more powder to burn, which means a longer-lasting more concentrated flame on the throat and barrel.

Therefore your throat life will suffer, which will decrease accuracy.

The WSM has a larger bore, and less case capacity. That's why it will last longer.

When it comes to accuracy, I don't assign so much value to brakes.
Action/reaction, moving a heavy bullet zero to fast = recoil (while the bullet is in the bore).
For the same reason, I don't assign a lot of value to going faster in twist than needed. Zero RPMs to 300Krpms inside the bore = torque.
And finally, short barrel = hi muzzle pressures slapping the back of boat tails(brake or not).

I'm late to this party...I'll try to simplify, any of the short mags (6.5 to 300) will do the trick. It's the build quality and load development that counts.

You will have to draw the line on either weight or caliber. If you want light weight you may want to go with a short action cartridge to keep the weight down. 260 Rem. 7mm-08, Rem or Win short mag series. I would also suggest you talk with Melvin Forbes of New Ultra Lite Arms Co. The action he uses allows you to get a lite rifle with accuracy. His fiber glass/carbon stocks seem to cut the recoil also. Good Luck

Consider the 6.5x280 ack, I'm running a 130 berger at 3206 fps verified with very predictable and controllable recoil. Best part is you can load the 120's up to the Matrix 160 which is what my next project is, gotta love load development!! :D
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Yea I'm still trying to decide between the 26 nosler and 6.5x284 but I think I'm going to build it on a tikka action with a benchmark barrel and McMillan hunter edge stock
The gunsmith I plan on using is testing and load development for the couple 26 noslers he built so I will see what he comes up with

gun)gun)

If you are reloading and trying to find that load that is just right, ladder testing for long distance, ect, you will find that you'll go through quite a lot of rounds. Once you get into the distance game like you are talking about, it takes practice to pull off long shots that hit where you want them to ... with consistency, especially when you throw in a variety of environmental factors like wind, temperature (powder sensitivity), altitude, etc etc. Getting to know what your gun and cartridges are going to do adds up in "rounds down the pipe". I really think 50 rounds a year seems overly optimistic.

Plus if you build a sweet gun that shots good.... You might just find that you end up shooting it a lot more than you initially thought, but hey... You can always put on a new barrel when you burn out the first one!! gun). :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.