WHAT CALIBER TO BUILD?

BIG DOG

HELLO EVERYONE,

I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM AND I'M EXCITED ABOUT A PROJECT THAT I'M GOING TO START HOPEFULLY SOON. I CURRENTLY HAVE A REMINGTON 700 BDL LH IN 7MM REM MAG WITH A HS PRECISION STOCK AND A BURRIS FF2 4.5-14 SCOPE. I WANT TO GET A STAINLESS FLUTED BARREL FOR IT. I'M WANTING A LH SENDERO IF YOU WILL(NO THANKS TO REMINGTON), AND I'M HAVING AN ISSUE ON WHAT CALIBER TO MAKE. I HAVE RELOADING CAPABILITIES. I'VE PONDERED A .257 WBY MAG, 7MM REM MAG, AND A 30-338 WIN MAG. MY THINKING ON KEEPING IT A 7MM IS THE AVAILABILITY OF FACTORY AMMO. I'M LEANING TOWARDS THE 30-338 WIN MAG, BUT WOULD I REALLY GAIN ANYTHING OVER THE 300 WIN MAG OR THE 300 WBY MAG? AND, WHO'S BARREL TO PUT ON THE RIFLE? THERE WAY TOO MANY EXCELLENT MAKERS. MY BUDDY SAYS TO SEND THE RIFLE TO ER SHAW. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Email or call the folks over at Pac-Nor and ask about the project.The Shaw barrels are o.k. but their length is too short and I believe that Pac-Nor makes a better barrel.

Big Dog

Just exactly what are you trying to do with it first?

fluting will cost $135-180 on top of barrel. Why do it? You do not need it to cut weight. Just go with 26-30" Light varmint taper to .900-.950

ER Shaw barrels are ok for cheaper rifles, but it will cost $150 to chamber a cheap or expensive barrel so why go cheap. The cheap barrel will still cost $200. You can buy a lilja for $270 and PacNor or Broughton for about the same.

Send the gun to a good LR or BR gunsmith. No more expensive and you will get quality work.

BH

I would consider the 7mm or 300 WSM also.

30-338 will give a longer neck and that is all over a 300 win. Velocity is same, but theoretical advantage in LR accuracy with custom bullets etc for 30-338. I have had two, but now I would go with 300 WSM or 7 WSM.

One of my current 300 WSMs has 2200 rounds down the tube and still shooting 6-8" ten shot groups at 1000. All the mags you mentioned will be gone by 1200-1500 tops.

[ 10-25-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

MY FRIEND SUGGESTED GOING WITH A 25-06 OR A 300 WIN MAG, BUT I'M NOT SURE. I HATE THIS I'M SPENDING MORE $ IN MY HEAD ON THIS RIFLE THAN I HAVE. OH WELL MAYBE I'LL BUILD THAT SCOUT RIFLE THAT I HAVE PLANNED.

Big Dog, 25-06 vs 300Win mag. Sort of like comparing a compact car to a fullsize truck. Very different applications.

The first thing you have to decide is the range and game you are shooting at. Not just long range, but a finite distance like 500yds or 1000yds. You need to decide how portable or where you will shoot this rig. The cartridge will sort itself out very easily once you have the parameters of how this rifle will be used.

I have three levels of hunting rifle. All are mechanically accurate to take game at the maximum effective range of their cartridge. However, their application limits their range.

I have a walkabout sporter rifle. Because I will be shooting off field positions, I limit to around 400yds if wind is calm. Mostly it is used for 100yds. 30-06

Another is like a varmint rifle. This one I use off the hood or bench when posting over cut blocks. I use a bipod or bench rest to support rifle. Effective range is out to 700yds. 6.5-06

Finally are the heavy bench rifles. These are shot only off a bench and involve the big magnums and bullets. These are effective to well over 1000yds. At 35lbs, I don't carry them far. 300 RUM and 338 Mystic.

So by narrowing down your application, the choices become a lot clearer. When you decide on how you are planning to use this rifle, post it and I am sure we can give you our thoughts.

Jerry

[ 10-27-2004: Message edited by: Jerry Teo ]

[ 10-27-2004: Message edited by: Jerry Teo ]

I'm with Bounty Hunter and Shark bait. We need to know your application. Everybody has a slightly different dream rifle, and unless you spell it out, just about any hunk of iron can make do. Perhaps you don't know, yourself? Evident the wide variety of chamberings that you mention?

Maybe you "should" build that scout rifle, since the concept is a lot less hazy?

One suggestion: release the caplock before somebody growls at you.

Good luck with your choice, LB

WELL I'VE BEEN HAVING AN ITCH TO MAKE A LONG RANGE SHOOTING RIG. NOW LONG RANGE TO ME IS NO MORE THAN 500 YARDS, AND I INTEND TO USE THIS RIFLE FOR OPEN RANGE HUNTING(MULE DEER, ANTELOPE,COYOTES,ETC.) I SOMETIMES HUNT ON A RANCH IN EASTERN OREGON AND SIT OVER A HUGE CANYON, WHILE SOMEONE PUSHES THE BOTTOM. WE ALSO HAVE POTENTIAL SHOTS PAST 500 YARDS. THIS WILL PRIMARILY BE A "BEANFIELD RIFLE." I THINK THIS IS MORE OF AN ITCH TO HAVE SOMETHING NEW.

I'M TORN OVER GOING WITH A STANDARD AVAILABLE CARTRIDGE THAT IS COST EFFECTIVE, OR GOING WITH SOMETHING THAT WILL COST ME IN $$$ OR TIME(RELOADING). THIS IS REALLY SAD AS I LIKE TO BREW MY OWN, BUT NEVER TAKE THE TIME TO DO SO.

I REALLY DO NEED THIS RIFLE, AS I HAVE EVERYTHING TO TAKE CARE OF MY HUNTING NEEDS FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN CONTINENT.

SUMMARY:

500 YARDS+ SHOOTING
OPEN COUNTRY
PREDATOR/MEDIUM GAME
STAND SHOOTING

I HOPE THIS HELPS

Big Dog

One suggestion: release the caplock before somebody growls at you.

What LB meant is that it is much harder to read all caps. Common courtesy calls for internet users to make things easy for all our friends.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.