what caliber

morganjones

I am looking into buying a new rifle for hunting next year. i am currently shooting a 30-06 and have it reaching over 600 meters but i am looking for something with a bit more punch at longer distance. i am going to start off asking about what is a good larger caliber for elk and mule deer. also any ideas on a manufacturer for under $1200. Thank you

i have been trying to decide between these calibers and have been going around in cercles for about a year. are there any disadvantages or advantages to either caliber, everything i find says that each one is the best depending on the site.

It always comes back to bullets. I've never been much of a 7mm fan, but the newer 180-195 grain bullets are changing my mind.

The .300 Winchester is the standard to measure against. I think it's best with bullets 200 grain plus bullet weights.

Given equal case capacities, and rifles, the .30 magnums will recoil more, for a little more terminal performance.

For the example you listed either will work, find the rifle you like, at a deal you like, and don't worry about it.

Just keep an eye on making sure you've got enough twist to stabilize whatever bullet you choose.

Get yourself s cheap little t/c venture for under $400.00 in .300 wm and enjoy it....save the rest or if you gotta spend it take a 700 action and rebarrel it with a custom tight necked chamber and a Jewell trigger..you can do that with the other remaining cash.

Browning X Bolt is coming out with some really nice rifles this year in some good calibers. Check out their website! Don't buy a Remington.

It always comes back to bullets. I've never been much of a 7mm fan, but the newer 180-195 grain bullets are changing my mind.

The .300 Winchester is the standard to measure against. I think it's best with bullets 200 grain plus bullet weights.

Given equal case capacities, and rifles, the .30 magnums will recoil more, for a little more terminal performance.

For the example you listed either will work, find the rifle you like, at a deal you like, and don't worry about it.

Just keep an eye on making sure you've got enough twist to stabilize whatever bullet you choose.

The new 700 LR in 7mmRM comes in a 9.25 twist, so it should stabilize the Berger 180's. And even more-so if he's at higher elevation. I'm at around 250' ASL, and my 9.25" twist 7mmSTW stabilizes the Berger 180 Hybrids with a 1.42 SG on Berger's calculator.

Ok I think I have decided on going with a 300wm. Now it's the rifle has anyone been around the new savage rifles I'm not a huge fan of the Remington I have shot a few and couldn't get comfortable.

Ok I think I have decided on going with a 300wm. Now it's the rifle has anyone been around the new savage rifles I'm not a huge fan of the Remington I have shot a few and couldn't get comfortable.

Different stocks will feel different. You can always swap the stock.

morganjones, the Savage Bear Hunter model 16/116 is a good choice in a 300 win. mag. or the 300 wsm.

Thanks a lot for the info guys I think all I have left is to try and get a rifle on order. That video of the 300 wsm is crazy for a factory gun with a 23" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.