What caliber??

Prieto9000

I want to fill the gap between my .338 EDGE and my 7mm RM. I don´t really like 30 cals and like to shoot my rifles a lot so barrel life is kind of a big concern, My initial go to was a 7mm RUM, but being a terrible barrel burner I decided to look somewhere else.

I currently have a 700 Long action sitting in the safe so it does´t matter if it´s a long or short action cartridge, it will definitely fit in there.

I want to fill the gap between my .338 EDGE and my 7mm RM. I don´t really like 30 cals and like to shoot my rifles a lot so barrel life is kind of a big concern, My initial go to was a 7mm RUM, but being a terrible barrel burner I decided to look somewhere else.

I currently have a 700 Long action sitting in the safe so it does´t matter if it´s a long or short action cartridge, it will definitely fit in there.

8MM/.323 caliber.

If you want to do a good job of filling that gap, you need to learn to like 30 calibers.

What Edd said!!!! Those two cartridges overlap so well, it would be hard to fill the gap.
I would go with a 1-8 twist 6mm of some sort..

Could go with a smaller 6.5. Maybe a 6.5X47, 260 6.5 Creedmore. Your EDGE is good for over 1000 yds. The 7 Mag is probably ok close to 1000 yds. These smaller 6.5's will fill that gap from 5-800 yds. My 6.5X47 is a dream to shoot with 130 Bergers. Barrel life is good and with only 42.2 gr of powder it is relatively cheap to shoot. Good performance at just under 3000 fps with a small case.

If you don't mind the risk of finding brass for it the most underrated cartridge of all time would fit nicely in the middle.. 8 mm rem mag...this is one heck of a cartridge and has never gotten the respect it deserved...it's a shame how a companies choice of factory bullets can affect any cartridges survival..the old core - locks at close range just could handle the impact at close range and ended this fine cartridges future but with great bullets it'll handle anything, anywhere, anytime !!

Could go with a smaller 6.5. Maybe a 6.5X47, 260 6.5 Creedmore. Your EDGE is good for over 1000 yds. The 7 Mag is probably ok close to 1000 yds. These smaller 6.5's will fill that gap from 5-800 yds. My 6.5X47 is a dream to shoot with 130 Bergers. Barrel life is good and with only 42.2 gr of powder it is relatively cheap to shoot. Good performance at just under 3000 fps with a small case.

My current battery of rifles is the following:

Tac 30 6.5 Creedmoor Medium palma T4
Tikka T3 CTR 6.5 Creedmoor 18" Sendero Barrel
Rem 700 6.5 GAP proof barrel EH1 stock
Sako 85 Finnlight .270 WSM
Rem 700 Ti 7mm RM T4 Medium palma
Rem 700 .338 EDGE T4 Medium palma

I can´t find a reason to build anything smaller than the 6.5 CM because with the 100gr A-Max works like a charm on varmints and with 140 Bergers gets the job done nicely on Big Game.

My tikka, Sako 85 and 6.5 GAP are intended to be hunting rifles, basically mountain rifles since they are really light and topped with super light scopes. The other 3 rifles are much heavier/bulkier and all 3 are topped with Razor Gen 1 scopes so carrying them around is not really fun.

If you don't mind the risk of finding brass for it the most underrated cartridge of all time would fit nicely in the middle.. 8 mm rem mag...this is one heck of a cartridge and has never gotten the respect it deserved...it's a shame how a companies choice of factory bullets can affect any cartridges survival..the old core - locks at close range just could handle the impact at close range and ended this fine cartridges future but with great bullets it'll handle anything, anywhere, anytime !!

Agreed. The 8mm and the .25 calibers got the shaft when literally every other caliber used today got modernized with super-heavy high-BC bullets.

The 8mmRM has serious potential for a comeback, if someone like Berger would produce some heavy high-BC long range bullets for it. I would own one. I already have tons of brass that would work for it (7mm STW) and one of my STW's just sits in the safe because I don't have a need for 2 STW's at the moment, so I could slap an 8mmRM barrel on it, and then I'd have a whole new platform to work with. :cool:

I want to fill the gap between my .338 EDGE and my 7mm RM. I don´t really like 30 cals

8MM/.323 caliber.

lightbulbYep!lightbulb

+1 on learning to like the 30 Cals. :D

Seems you are fond of WSM cases. Why not try a 300 WSM with a long throat in a long action? I have one and really like it.

It came to my mind building a 300 WSM, but If I´m going to use a Long Action I believe the good old 300 win mag would be a better option.

I´m strongly leaning towards a 28 Nosler with a 1:8 - 1:8.5" twist for the 195´s but barrel life concerns me.

What do you people think about the 7mm LRM??

Have you thought of the 338-06 or the 35 Whelen. Both great cartridges that would fit nicely into your collection. They both throw big lead at moderate velocity and are good for deer up through elk , moose and bear. They both put the hammer down without beating you up.

What gap? Real or perceived? You have two very fierce cartridges on your hands, and anything that fills that gap is pretty much not going to be better at anything than either of your two existing choices. The 7mm really has you covered on almost anything in North America and the 338 takes you into dangerous game country. Your gap might be to find a better deer hunting cartridge like a 6.5 or .257 round...

It came to my mind building a 300 WSM, but If I´m going to use a Long Action I believe the good old 300 win mag would be a better option.

I´m strongly leaning towards a 28 Nosler with a 1:8 - 1:8.5" twist for the 195´s but barrel life concerns me.

What do you people think about the 7mm LRM??

I guess you're not really trying to fill the gap between .338 cal and .284 cal per (8MM/.323 and the .308 cals as recommended by several responders) per your subject title, but rather some chamberings to fill the gap between your .338 EDGE and my 7mm RM performance, unless I misconstrued your post above/original post.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts