What caliber for really accurate shooting.

I've been thinking along the lines of a 6x47 Lapua pushing the 105 or 115 Berger may be a very interesting build, it should be absolutely sweet shooting but still bring some performance, shoot the bugger till the bullet falls from the sky and shoot it a lot! I LOVE the little 6 Br, I was spotting for Broz one day at 860 yards and he was wailing on a 8in steel and it just sets there and you can crank rounds down range and just have a blast shooting!

Huntthedistance, You are describing a 6br in your post. BnG has shot mine a lot and he built one for his daughter.

Great accuracy and you don't have to work for it.
Sendero contour in 26 to 28" would be great and go ahead and brake it so you will never loose site of the target at all.
awesome brass and affordable and lasts so long you will feel guilty. (Lapua)
Bullets for $26 / 100
30 gr of powder
I have a used IOR Gen 3 on mine with a MP8 dot. (used $650 of GB)
20 moa rail, Yup!
awesome barrel life
Just a hoot to shoot with a big enough hunk of lead to hunt with if you choose, and you will for deer and goats.

If you want to see what BnG and I are talking about swing over this way and I will put you behind mine. Then you will know for sure.

Jeff

I have 2 different friends shoot world records w/6mm dasher 17 # class 1000 Penn. They have 300wsm also built off 270 wsm case.

Broz

"If you want to see what BnG and I are talking about swing over this way and I will put you behind mine. Then you will know for sure."

Does that generous offer extend to all 70,000 followers of this sight?
You are truly generous!!!

(just kidding!)

Although I am 30/06 'till I die the 308 gets my vote. Best selection of truly great components. In a long action the high BC bullets can be seated out where only the boat tail intrudes the powder space and the extra length of 190 - 220 grain match bullets are accommodated by the long magazine. Who ever twists the barrel on can cut the bullet leade to account for full bullet support by the neck and 0.30" jump to the rifling. Barrel life would be unbelievable.

F class stock w/ Atlas Bipod. Thumb hole if it were mine. And 28" tube so no brake required. Target 12 lbs w/o scope.

Love the other caliber selections. Stock 284 is really good idea. 6mm anything shoots like one word: SWEET!

Just my two cents... and for that two cents we expect a post w/ pix of said rifle when completed!

KB

Broz

Does that generous offer extend to all 70,000 followers of this sight?
You are truly generous!!!

so no brake required.

KB

Sure, come on over but if bringing 69999 friends give me a heads up so I can get more rounds loaded.:D

There are lots of rifles that fall into a bracket of "no brake required". But only a few under 15# that will earn their keep at 1000 yards and you can still see holes go in paper at 100 yards through the scope. Or see the grey puff off steel under 100 and see a gopher explode in the scope at 50. I also like seeing the hide ripple around my aim point at what ever range. I am a huge brake fan on almost any rifle for this reason. A braked 6 BR is indeed sweet , but maybe not as sweet as a suppressed 6 BR.lightbulb

No offence to the .308 they are great rifles, just not quite the same feel as a braked 6.

Jeff

I have not shot Jeff's 6 BR (yet :)) but I have seen others shoot it and it is a sweet shooting rig! Definitely something to consider.

Some other popular LR range rounds that fit your wants are the 6.5x47, 260 Rem and 7x57. Probably a little more recoil than the 6 BR but with a good brake, it wouldn't be noticeable and a little better in the wind.

I have friends with a 6mm dasher. It was in a 20lb bench gun... He has made nationals ever year shooting this caliber at 1000 yards...He could pick and shoot any caliber he wants but his choice is the Dasher.... I don't know if its just me but it sure seems that we get a whole lot more wind in the last 10 years then ever before... Any caliber that bucks the wind just a bit better then the others will be a plus in my opinion... Getting up and extra 2 hours early just to catch the time when you have no wind to shoot in might get old after a while:D...Dave

The 6BR is an awesome choice. I have two of them and am in the process of building another one.
My hunting choice would be the 260AI. In fact the video oh the previous page is my 260AI. It is an awesome gun and shoots phenomenal.

I would stay away from anything any bigger cause you will not be able to shoot it as much and the cost goes up as well.

6.5-06. Won't kick much at all in a sendero weight rifle and if you brake it you can call your own shots. 140 Berger at 3000 or so. Neck up 25-06 brass. It's cheap and easy to find. 58 grains of h1000
A trued up rem action in a sendero stock with a tac pro cheeck piece keeps the costs down and works well.

If use the standard shoulder angle there's really no fire forming needed and redding makes type s dies as well as a body die.

308 Win target rifle. This may sound bland to the LR hunting community but if you can come to shoot the 308 very well at 1000, how would stepping up to a magnum just as precise perform when needed for hunting? 80%+ of my LR practice is conducted with the 308 year round. Of course anything well past 1000 requires the magnums and sanity check.

I agree 100%! Everyone should learn the basics with a .308 Win.

The Rem 700 5R MilSpec 24" .308 Win makes a great factory shooter. Put a good scope on it with some good rings and a good base, and you'll have a gun you'll be able to enjoy for many many years. The .308 Win has excellent barrel life.

Well, you say you'd use a long action, then your first choice mentioned is a 243. That doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I'd take a close look at 260AI

I just have never seen a 243 Ackley work with a 115 berger seated to where the boatail is through the donut of the neck and feed out of the magazine.

I am not just dreaming I am going to build some guns and I am wanting a gun that will make tough shots with. I have been asked for certain shots to be done, and I am wanting a gun that is more foregiving than my custom hunting rifles. I have 3 300 ultras, 2 edges, 1 7 wsm, 1 7mm mag, and a 6.5-284. They are all setup with huskemaws and nightforces scopes. Some shoot really well but I want something like the dasher or the 243 that is known to shoot well rather easily with small amount of recoil and components.. And can be done by almost anyone. I see the only hold up with the smaller calibers is wind drift. Like I stated before I am not wanting something to shoot elk with, maybe a deer. But mainly to shoot for video footage.

Huntthedistance, You are describing a 6br in your post. BnG has shot mine a lot and he built one for his daughter.

Great accuracy and you don't have to work for it.
Sendero contour in 26 to 28" would be great and go ahead and brake it so you will never loose site of the target at all.
awesome brass and affordable and lasts so long you will feel guilty. (Lapua)
Bullets for $26 / 100
30 gr of powder
I have a used IOR Gen 3 on mine with a MP8 dot. (used $650 of GB)
20 moa rail, Yup!
awesome barrel life
Just a hoot to shoot with a big enough hunk of lead to hunt with if you choose, and you will for deer and goats.

If you want to see what BnG and I are talking about swing over this way and I will put you behind mine. Then you will know for sure.

Jeff

Thanks for the offer I will come over when the holidays settle down. What barrel did you use, and twist. Also you are propably just on a short action?

Sounds like you'll almost wanting a 1000 yard plinking rifle? If so, the best is probably the 6 Dasher. We have a champion 1000 yard BR shooter in our local league too. He shoots a 6 Dasher. Amazing round. Most of the high ranking 1000 yard BR shooters use it. So, if your looking for a low recoil round that can make 1000 yards look easy, I think that would be it.

I'm thinking about the 6BR or the 6 Dasher. Kind of tore between them at the moment. Need something to give the RUM's and WSM's a rest too.

Sounds like you'll almost wanting a 1000 yard plinking rifle? If so, the best is probably the 6 Dasher. We have a champion 1000 yard BR shooter in our local league too. He shoots a 6 Dasher. Amazing round. Most of the high ranking 1000 yard BR shooters use it. So, if your looking for a low recoil round that can make 1000 yards look easy, I think that would be it.

I'm thinking about the 6BR or the 6 Dasher. Kind of tore between them at the moment. Need something to give the RUM's and WSM's a rest too.

Yeah just something maybe to shoot deer with if a kid wanted to. But I want something for really accurate plinking shooting to 1000. I would shoot it until I run out of elevation on the scope or velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts