What 224 to build

808mike

Looking for advice on next 224 build I was going to do another 22-250 or AI but no available good brass and with all the new 22 cal cartridges with
available brass I'm highly confused on what to build. Leaning to the 22 GT. Planning to shoot 75 gr hpbt mostly and 55 gr varmint bullets with a 9 twist barrel 27 inch barrel. Looking more for a wide node efficient cartridge than a ultimate barrel burner.
If your shooting the 75hpbt I would appreciate cartridge, powder and velocity nodes you found. I can appreciate if you don't want to give out the charge weight.

Looking for advice on next 224 build I was going to do another 22-250 or AI but no available good brass and with all the new 22 cal cartridges with
available brass I'm highly confused on what to build. Leaning to the 22 GT. Planning to shoot 75 gr hpbt mostly and 55 gr varmint bullets with a 9 twist barrel 27 inch barrel. Looking more for a wide node efficient cartridge than a ultimate barrel burner.
If your shooting the 75hpbt I would appreciate cartridge, powder and velocity nodes you found. I can appreciate if you don't want to give out the charge weight.
PM your fellow Hawaiian @B-LOT Banga. He's an overall good guy and is brewing something hot in .22 cal.

Why a 9 twist??? It still baffles me that individuals are so afraid of faster twist barrels. Take a gander at what Lance posted and let his words sink in before deciding.....

Why a 9 twist??? It still baffles me that individuals are so afraid of faster twist barrels. Take a gander at what Lance posted and let his words sink in before deciding.....

I don't see it as being afraid, I see it as related to the cost of a new barrel with installation when it may not be the right twist rate the buyer is familiar with.

I've been shooting several .22 caliber rifles recently, well quite a few years actually.

The .22 Creedmoor is excellent because brass is available and so are faster twist rifle barrels. But...

The .22GT is becoming a first grab on the way out the door to shoot.

I shoot the Berger 85.5, 26" barrel, 1:7" twist, no suppressor on this one and tested 3 powders which work for my uses.

Ramshot Hunter
Re-16
VVN-550

Hodgdon Hybrid 100V works well but you lose a little velocity but gain a milder burn rate.

:)

I think it really depends on what bullet you want to shoot. My buddy has a 22 creed w/7.5 twist, really wanted to shoot 77 tmk's. He has a hard time not blowing bullets up, even at modest velocities. An 8 twist would probably serve him better.