New Build-What Caliber

rudyl

I'd like to build a long range rig (500-800 yds). I'd like to do it in a .257Wby Mag. Do you all think this will hold KE for hogs at that range. I've always liked that caliber and that is the only reason I'm thinking of it. Accuracy should be good right?

That will do fine. You will want to use a 110-120 premium hunting bullet of some type. You will want a mono metal bullet or a bonded core bullet.

Tank

Barnes 100gr TSX is a good consideration. Has never failed, for me at least. Expands at velocities as low as 1800 fps, so it gives you a heck of a head start if you're launching them out at 3700-3800 fps. You won't be disappointed.

Best of Luck
ERIK

I would also pick something in the 6.5 caliber. Not enough really good bullet choices for the 257.

Something like a 260 Rem or a 6.5X284 lapua would be pretty sweet for your needs.

Lots of good brass and components to choose from as well.

The 257 roy is a 600 yard laser I love it, but my vote goes to the 6.5x284 or a match chambered 6.5x257wby its easy to load for and will shoot 140 berger vlds at 3300fps easily in a 26" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.