What 224 to build

I woukd stick with an 8 twist. I have second stories from a reliable rifle builder and PRS shooter of bullets vaporizing out of the 7 twist barrels. It's. Real a real thing. Cup and core at 7 twist at 3400+ fps = core/jacket separation. If my math is right, that is like 350,000 rpms on the bullet....easy to imagine it coming apart.

Looks like 22 creed it is. Will order brass and seat some bullets to figure out a reamer.

Thanks for the input!
Just keep in mind that you're looking at 500-800 rounds of barrel life.
I'm running a 6 creed and they are know to go south around 1200-1500 rounds.
IMO a 22GT/22-250 is the limit if you shoot much, I'd go 22-BRA or ARC personally.
And I'll echo the no faster than 8 twist sentiment.

Just keep in mind that you're looking at 500-800 rounds of barrel life.
I'm running a 6 creed and they are know to go south around 1200-1500 rounds.
IMO a 22GT/22-250 is the limit if you shoot much, I'd go 22-BRA or ARC personally.
And I'll echo the no faster than 8 twist sentiment.
I was hoping for at least 1000 rounds.. back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the info.

I don't think the 9" twist will do the job for you. Go to jbmballistics.com. Then to "ballistics" then "calculators" then "stability." Plug in the numbers for the bullets you're thinking of using, and see what you come up with. Give the velocity a good guesstimate from various reloading tables. It's not that critical of a value. The number you come up with should be at least 1.5 gyroscopic stability (sg). Play with the numbers by inserting values for different bullets and see what you get. Some bullet manufacturers state that a sg of 2 is what you need for long range shooting. Most admit that the higher the sg, the better.

22-250AI is almost the same as 22creed with the exception of lower pressure and minor powder capacity. The AI would be a better choice on throat life. Going 7t will give you all bullet choices (monos being an exception). 8t might be the ticket for cup and core.

Last edited:
22-250AI is almost the same as 22creed with the exception of lower pressure and minor powder capacity. The AI would be a better choice on throat life. Going 7t will give you all bullet choices (monsters being an exception). 8t might be the ticket for cup and core.
I'm shooting a 7 twist 22-250AI. I've shot 55 VMax @ 3950 and bullets haven't blown up.

I'm trying 90 grain ATips @ 3300 currently and so far they seem to be stable at least out to 300.

I'm shooting a 7 twist 22-250AI. I've shot 55 VMax @ 3950 and bullets haven't blown up.

I'm trying 90 grain ATips @ 3300 currently and so far they seem to be stable at least out to 300.
That's good news then! What brands of cup n core have you tried not counting the vmax?

I would like to build a 5.7 Johnson/22 spitfire with a 6-6.5 twist to run heavy bullets in a mini action.
It should be so quiet

I have a 9 twist 22cm and shot 77 TMK until I couldn't find any then switched to 75 ELDM and had no trouble stabilizing either of them. Killed 2 deer last year with the 77 tmk and my son killed a deer and a hog with the 75 eldm this year. If you are only shooting traditional bullets up to 75 a 9 twist is all you should need. That being said, my next barrel will probably be an 8 twist so I can shoot a little heavier. My load with the 75 eldm is 42.5gr 6.5 StaBall and that gets me 3400 out of a 22" barrel.

IMG_2326.jpgIMG_2341.jpg

Last edited:
For the bullet weights you mention have you considered a 223 AI? Cheap and abundant brass, long barrel life, and non custom dies available. I had a similar project and went that route. Went with an 8 twist as I wanted to shoot 55g to 80g bullets. I load them long in a standard short action and Crown Ridge Barrel works spun up a custom throated prefit barrel for me as I wanted to keep the 75's pressure ring above the shoulder neck junction and have been very happy. Excellent chambering job, Barrel consistently shoots under .5 moa and my pet load will hold .25 moa if I do everything right. If you are a speed freak look elsewhere but I'm running 75g at 3050 out of a 24" barrel and 55's at 3350.

Some good suggestions, Im old school and hate to change so would stick with the 22-250AI. It is virtually the same as the 22CM as mentioned earlier with less pressure and longer barrel and brass life. I do like the 223AI as well. My next 22-250AI will be a fast twist barrel to shoot the 60-80 gr bullets.

In the following pic look at the 22-250AI next to the 6.5CM case. Picture that necked to 22, who was there first? As others have said in these discussions, most new cartridges aren't really much different but more of a change of barrel twist and components used. If you already have a bunch of a certain type of brass you can use it in some fashion. If you don't have anything in the category its a wide open playing field.
1705603840858.png

Depends what your objectives are. Bolt gun, speed? 22-250 or AI, 22 Creed. Good speed with more optimal barrel life? 223AI.

AR? Consider 22 ARC though it's not fully released yet.

Either way, the 62gr ELD-VT bullets are worth serious consideration and I'm interested when they get released for real life testing. I've committed to a 22 ARC AR build. I tested the VT blems at Midway in a 223AI at full speed in a 9 twist, I got shotgun patterns though the holes looked round. They call for a 7.5 twist and probably for a reason. Wish I hadn't build my 223AI a year ago with a 9 twist barrel, I would have loved to try them. Will try again when they aren't blems but not hopeful.