What 224 to build

Depends what your objectives are. Bolt gun, speed? 22-250 or AI, 22 Creed. Good speed with more optimal barrel life? 223AI.

AR? Consider 22 ARC though it's not fully released yet.

Either way, the 62gr ELD-VT bullets are worth serious consideration and I'm interested when they get released for real life testing. I've committed to a 22 ARC AR build. I tested the VT blems at Midway in a 223AI at full speed in a 9 twist, I got shotgun patterns though the holes looked round. They call for a 7.5 twist and probably for a reason. Wish I hadn't build my 223AI a year ago with a 9 twist barrel, I would have loved to try them. Will try again when they aren't blems but not hopeful.
9 will stabilize 62gr. The 7.5t is only to be something different to keep inline with the 6arc. Wait for it..................5acr in 7.5.

9 will stabilize 62gr. The 7.5t is only to be something different to keep inline with the 6arc. Wait for it..................5acr in 7.5.
If you haven't read up on the ELD-VT, I suggest you do. It is NOT a standard 62gr bullet. It is very different and requires a faster twist. It's way longer than a normal 62gr bullet. If you have obtained the 62gr ELD-VT and verified it stabilizes in a 9 twist please post the results.

If you haven't read up on the ELD-VT, I suggest you do. It is NOT a standard 62gr bullet. It is very different and requires a faster twist. It's way longer than a normal 62gr bullet. If you have obtained the 62gr ELD-VT and verified it stabilizes in a 9 twist please post the results.
The majority of my 22cals are 8t with only 2 being 7t. How much longer are the edl-vt compared to scirocco2's? It would have to be wwaaaayyyyy longer as they stabilize in 8's. AGAIN, I DON'T have any 9's for reference. You also state you're testing/tested blessed. I've tested and use blessed on occasion without and miss that took lots of sorting. I've sorted by weight, by length, by ogive and by all 3. Sorting 4 ways and still hit and miss.

Hornady doesn't give a twist rate or even a length to run it through a calculator. Here is what they have on their site.

CALIBER .224
PRODUCT LINE ELD-VT
SECTIONAL DENSITY .177
BALLISTIC COEFFICIENT G1 .395, G7 .199
TWIST RATE (left blank)
WEIGHT 62 gr.
APPLICATION Varmint, Target/Match
BOX COUNT 100
ITEM #22762

I really appreciate everyones responses !! The reason for the 9 twist is because I am only looking to shoot 55gr v-max and 75 gr hpbt in this build. Mostly because I have a bunch of 75 hpbt bullets.
The 9 Twist , is PERFECT for, the New, 69 grain Sierra, TMK's and, the 75 gr. HPBT's that, YOU want, to Use.
And it, will also, work FINE with, the Higher BC 53 gr. V-Maxes or, 55 gr NBT's, too ! So,.. GOOD Choice,.. IMO !
Plus, you should get descent,.. Barrel "Life" to, Boot !
My Vote is for, .22 Creed, also,.. FOR, the "Good" Brass, that's available !

Last edited:
22 spitfire with 88gr eld, 22 spitfire, 30 carbine, 256 win mag ( rimless), 17 fireball, 221 LN

Attachments

• IMG_2897.jpeg
    IMG_2897.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 13
22/6mm 224 TTH. I would get 1:8. 1:7.5 or 1:7. Or look at the 6mm or 6mm AI with 90 gr TMK. 1.4 mils at 500 yds. You can buy or make the brass. With the 22/6mm you can get a standard Hornady die set cheap and use a mandrel for final sizing for your desired neck tension. Dies for the 6mm AI are not cheap. If you want a non barrel burner, that's a 223. Have fun.