what to build??

luke

A buddy has a savage long action rifle that we are wanting to rebarrel. It started as a 270win then was rebarreled to a 6.5-284 and new stock. Yesterday I convinced him to sell me the barrel so now he wants to rebarrel to some thing new. It will be a rock buster 99% of the time. We often shoot from 500-1500 yards and he wants enough energy to spot his hits in less then ideal lighting and weather. He would like to keep it a repeater for hunting when he takes it. Some of his other guns are another 6.5-284, 7rem mag, 308win, 300win mag, and several smaller rifles. We take it hunting it would be for deer mainly with a chance at elk. Hunting shots could be as far as 1000 but we try to keep them under 800. Any thoughts?

284 win is also a great choice, it runs about 50-100 fps slower than the 280 AI but you can get great Lapua brass by necking up 6.5x284 brass.

It has a standard bolt face but I have an extra magnum bolt face we could use.
See, that's handy right there....You could go 7mmSTW, or .280 AI.

The .280 AI has near 7mm Rem Mag ballsitics in a non-magnum cartridge. It is very impressive. My next build will be a .280 AI for whitetail hunting.

He could go .280 AI first, then if he doesn't like it, he could always ream the chamber out to a 7mmSTW, which , I guarantee he'll like the ballistics and power and abilities of the STW...They're quite impressive.

He is waiting for a 7rem mag barrel right now. It was ordered back in january. It is 29" plus a break. So I dont know that he will go for another in .284 caliber. That would make 3.

He is waiting for a 7rem mag barrel right now. It was ordered back in january. It is 29" plus a break. So I dont know that he will go for another in .284 caliber. That would make 3.

I've got 4 .284's, and am going on a 5th, when I get my action for my bext build. I feel his pain. :D Everyone has their favorites. For me, it's the different 7mm calibers. So far it's 2x 7Mags, 7mmSTW, and 7mm-08. Next is .280 AI.

He is leaning hard toward a 300wsm. I told him to hold off for a week or so to see if there is something better out there. It is a hard one. It was my problem before I got him to sell me his barrel:D.

Might want to look into Rich Sherman's (elkaholic) 30/375 S.I. 3050 fps from a 215 out of a 28" barrel. Loaded round with the 215 berger touching the lands is 3.705".

Yes, i am starting a build right now and it will be chambered in his 30/375 S.I. With a 26" benchmark rem varmint barrel on a rem 700 action with a B&C a2 stock.

Riley is that based off the 375ruger??

Yes it is. I don't know if Ruger makes a bolt head for that rim diameter or not though. Keeping it a repeater might be the kicker, the 300WSM might be a great choice. Yes, it will be about the same as his 300win, performance wise & getting it to feed correctly will probably constitute changing the Magazine box.

Running single shot would open you up to 300rum, 338rum or 338edge.

t

A buddy has a savage long action rifle that we are wanting to rebarrel. It started as a 270win then was rebarreled to a 6.5-284 and new stock. Yesterday I convinced him to sell me the barrel so now he wants to rebarrel to some thing new. It will be a rock buster 99% of the time. We often shoot from 500-1500 yards and he wants enough energy to spot his hits in less then ideal lighting and weather. He would like to keep it a repeater for hunting when he takes it. Some of his other guns are another 6.5-284, 7rem mag, 308win, 300win mag, and several smaller rifles. We take it hunting it would be for deer mainly with a chance at elk. Hunting shots could be as far as 1000 but we try to keep them under 800. Any thoughts?
.300 WM or 7mm STW would be my two to lean to with the 300 RUM coming in behind.

All three will get the job done with (to me) the 7mm STW being the favorite, and the 300wm being the one most economical to shoot and the one that is easiest to get components for. Of course with all three you have a great selection of bullets available for anything.

When you figure in "pleasure to shoot" that 6.5x284 is going to be hard to beat though.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.