What 338 to build?

PEEWEE69

I'm wanting to build a 338 but can't decide wich 338 was originally gonna build a 338 edge and still might
I'm wanting a primary hunting rifle plus steel plus also want the rifle to be a repeater and capable of 1200 on elk and African Plains game if I ever get to go

The edge performs very well but I would recommend the Lapua simply due to brass quality and availability. All the fast 338s are awesome, just depends on how you want to get there .

Call Defensive Edge fast turn around maybe they can chamber Some choices : 338 Edge +P : 338 Terminator (Lapua Imp +P): 338 Edge MK II .

I chose the normal mag. It is scary accurate, easy to load for, recoil isn't bad, and it can reach a mile easily.
Deano

I was in the same boat as you and went with the 338 RUM. shorter overall length compared to the edge, and with 30 inch barrel, the edge, lapua, and RUM can all be within 100 FPS of eachother.

Im launching 285 ELD's at a 2825 FPS. C.O.A.L 3.600 reliably feeding from the mag.

I would've liked to go with the lapua, but the added expense for the PTG bolt was a turnoff for me.

I was in the same position and went with the Edge. Lapua's width made it a no-go for me. I can build an Edge more economically. I get the brass argument but will deal with it. Why not the RUM? The Edge has an edge and I'd be putting it in the same action. Ford vs Chevy.

My 338 Lapua was finish up a couple of months ago, Greg at SPR did a great fitting the barrel. It surprising how accurate these big magnums can be when done correctly. I did go with a custom reamer, since I wanted to load to mag length. I use CIP length mag to give me additional length to load 300gr OTM and not end up with a .050 - .100 jump. A lot of guys building 338 Lapuas end up single feeding to use the 300gr OTM Bergers and get them close to the lands.

Good luck on your build!

Honestly unless you have played with a lot of 338s (probably wouldn't be this thread if ya had), go buy a Savage M112 338 Lapua and go to town.

Stupid build quality and stupid accurate. Recoil is livable and the trigger is within 90% of a Jewell.

Be better to see if a 338 is your cup of tea for $1k instead of spending $4k on a custom and find out that the weight, recoil and blast of a 338 isn't YOUR cup of tea.

I have had a BUNCH of 338s as I hunt out of a truck and don't care what a rig weighs. They are MY cup of tea, but I would say dip your toe in the water 1st and see what ya think. I'm pretty sure you will find that the M112 will do 99.999% of anything a $4k custom will and if ya don't like it you can turn it for a $1-200 loss and start over in another caliber.

My 1st 50BMG I bought 1 at a gun show. On the way out a guy sold me another at a price I couldn't resist. HATED THEM. When going outside the norm its best to give it a lil try before jumping out of the plane.

Todd your killing me with that 338. Now I am ready to pull the plug on one tomorrow. Do you think that action could withstand a 375/338 lap imp rebarrel when I burn that one up?

Todd your killing me with that 338. Now I am ready to pull the plug on one tomorrow. Do you think that action could withstand a 375/338 lap imp rebarrel when I burn that one up?
That action frightened me with the 338 at first. I have built a ton of Edges on the Savage platform and always felt it was too much bolt thrust.
Then RUM brass got to be like unicorn turds and I took a closer look at the M112. The bolt head is different, the action is different than a stock LA.
My opinion wont save your butt if I'm wrong but I would guess that with the margin built in a 375 would be doable. I am actually looking at something even bigger and going to run some numbers and see if a 150gr capacity is even THINKABLE from a Savage. Probably remote fire it 200 times and then Magnaflux it but I like to think outside the box.
My main thing from this whole deal is that the build quality on the M112 is higher than I have ever seen from any non custom rig.

That action frightened me with the 338 at first. I have built a ton of Edges on the Savage platform and always felt it was too much bolt thrust.
Then RUM brass got to be like unicorn turds and I took a closer look at the M112. The bolt head is different, the action is different than a stock LA.
My opinion wont save your butt if I'm wrong but I would guess that with the margin built in a 375 would be doable. I am actually looking at something even bigger and going to run some numbers and see if a 150gr capacity is even THINKABLE from a Savage. Probably remote fire it 200 times and then Magnaflux it but I like to think outside the box.
My main thing from this whole deal is that the build quality on the M112 is higher than I have ever seen from any non custom rig.

Todd thanks I just was looking for your opinion. I guess if nothing else I could stick with 338 and just AI it... Are you looking 378 Improved for that capacity?

Maybe something designed for Africa.:)
The 378 I don't want the brass issues which is why I finally ran from the Edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.